The Student Room Group

I'm 17 and want to build muscle

i do A-Levels. Im not rich so I can't afford to get a gym membership. is there a way I could gain muscle quite quickly as I'm a very skinny guy
Do at home exercise such a push-ups, sit-ups and if you can invest in some cheap weights to keep at home
Original post by taranmistry
i do A-Levels. Im not rich so I can't afford to get a gym membership. is there a way I could gain muscle quite quickly as I'm a very skinny guy

Maybe there is a gym in your college? So to gain muscle you have to go in a calorie surplus - don’t eat in calorie deficit!! And lift weights !!
Download MyFitnessPal on your phone. Begin bulking on calorific foods that are high in protein. You’ll be surprised by how much your body changes in shape just from eating a healthy amount (tracking your calories will force you to do this). But also make sure you do body-weight exercises each day. Ectomorphs benefit from short-intense workouts. You don’t need to workout for more than 25 minutes, just make sure you are consistent. Good luck! Remember to take pictures of yourself to see improvements.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Lozzimilla
Maybe there is a gym in your college? So to gain muscle you have to go in a calorie surplus - don’t eat in calorie deficit!! And lift weights !!

unfortunately there is no gym in the college
Unfortunately there is no quick way to build muscle. Building muscle and gaining strength is arguably the hardest part of getting in shape and without a doubt takes the longest when compared to burning fat/losing weight. Unlike losing weight, where the diet is more important than exercise, building muscle is impossible without lifting weights and strength training. Of course a high-protein, calorie dense diet will help you put on muscle, without the lifting it will do nothing. Building muscle takes time, commitment, and patience, so the first thing you should do is get out of the mindset of a quick-fix.

You said that you can't afford a gym, so I recommend saving up some money and buying an all-in-one dumbbell system, which is made by brands like Hammer Strength or Bowflex. While a gym is not necessary to build muscle, a set of dumbbells is. There are plenty of lifting programs on the internet so you should start doing some research, however I would start with a Dumbbell based PPL routine, which can be done 3,4,5, or 6 days per week, depending on how much you want to workout. In the meantime, here are some workouts that you can do to get started: https://www.openfit.com/weightlifting-gain-muscle-and-strength

Quick Reply

Latest