The Student Room Group

I’m only 17 but I want to be married

Just came on here for a rant really. I’m only 17 and I want to find the guy I want to marry. I don’t want to be have relationships that aren’t serious, I don’t want to ‘be young and have fun’, I want to find the guy I’ll be with for the rest of my life. Is there something wrong with me? I don’t want to necessarily be married by age 17, but I just want to find the special guy who I’ll eventually marry. I feel so lost without someone, I adore loving someone, it gives me purpose and meaning of life and keeps me going, and without someone I’m just broken. No one give me crap about being comfortable while I’m single etc because I’m just not. I love being in a relationship and I hate every day that passes where I’m not in one. What I’m looking for in a guy is virtually impossible as well, so I probably won’t even find anyone lol. Rant over

Scroll to see replies

Rant over.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Is there something wrong with me?

No. You're just being slightly unrealistic if you think that's going to happen soon.
Reply 3
Original post by Drewski
No. You're just being slightly unrealistic if you think that's going to happen soon.

I don’t necessarily think it’s going to happen soon, as much as I’d like it to lol
Try being a guy it’s mission impossible
Reply 5
Try being a guy it’s mission impossible

Mission impossible to do what lol
Also slow down with the marriage you will have things you need to worry about at this age
I feel like many people go through this stage, thinking about the future and having someone to rely on. I think it comes most from loneliness. However, you don’t need to rush. Good things happen when least expected. You’ve got your life ahead of you before you settle down. It doesn’t hurt to daydream about marriage, but I think you want it less than you actually think you do haha.
Reply 8
Also slow down with the marriage you will have things you need to worry about at this age

I know I know but I just want someone by my side no matter what u know :frown:
Reply 9
Original post by watershower
I feel like many people go through this stage, thinking about the future and having someone to rely on. I think it comes most from loneliness. However, you don’t need to rush. Good things happen when least expected. You’ve got your life ahead of you before you settle down. It doesn’t hurt to daydream about marriage, but I think you want it less than you actually think you do haha.

I’m not rushing really. Not even looking for anyone, I’ve learnt the best things come when you’re not even looking for it. But I still can’t help feeling like this. Relationships are amazing and I just want to have one for the rest of my life. Not necessarily marriage
I know I know but I just want someone by my side no matter what u know :frown:

Yeah it can be like that but I’m telling you now life can hit you like a train wreck at this age and don’t forget about education but yeah I’m no expert but what I say is get a good education become financially stable then worry about it
Yeah it can be like that but I’m telling you now life can hit you like a train wreck at this age and don’t forget about education but yeah I’m no expert but what I say is get a good education become financially stable then worry about it

That’s true
(edited 4 years ago)
A partner should never be your reason for living. What if the relationship falls apart? It sounds like you’re just scared of life and want a guarantee that doesn’t exist.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by YaliaV
A partner should never be your reason for living. What if the relationship falls apart? It sounds like you’re just scared of life and want a guarantee that doesn’t exist.

I can’t help it
This is coming from a fellow 17 year old, but I don't think that anything is wrong with you. I've been raised in a culture that has constantly produced a romanticized view of marriage, and I have yearned for that while growing up. But at this point I am questioning if I would even want to be married. I have never had a significant other and I am wondering if the vision of marriage that I grew up with is even possible. So during the past couple of years I have begun to see marriage as not much of a goal anymore since it appears to have been just an unrealistic dream that the media and society around me tried to sell to me. Although I could be wrong as I am not coming from a place of authority or experience in this scenario, but I would suggest looking into what realistically marriage is and what it would be like. Also figure out what it is that you even want out of a marriage. Is it just a partner that you want? You could have a serious partner without getting married to them. These are all questions that I have been asking myself and so I figured that I would give me two cents on the issue, although you are free to take it with a grain of salt.

- A fellow 17 year old trying to find their way in the world
This is coming from a fellow 17 year old, but I don't think that anything is wrong with you. I've been raised in a culture that has constantly produced a romanticized view of marriage, and I have yearned for that while growing up. But at this point I am questioning if I would even want to be married. I have never had a significant other and I am wondering if the vision of marriage that I grew up with is even possible. So during the past couple of years I have begun to see marriage as not much of a goal anymore since it appears to have been just an unrealistic dream that the media and society around me tried to sell to me. Although I could be wrong as I am not coming from a place of authority or experience in this scenario, but I would suggest looking into what realistically marriage is and what it would be like. Also figure out what it is that you even want out of a marriage. Is it just a partner that you want? You could have a serious partner without getting married to them. These are all questions that I have been asking myself and so I figured that I would give me two cents on the issue, although you are free to take it with a grain of salt.

- A fellow 17 year old trying to find their way in the world

Thank you! I just want someone who won’t leave no matter what. Marriage would be great because it pushes people to work on the relationship, more than a relationship between two people who aren’t married. I don’t care if I’m married or not, as long as I’m with the right person. I want everything that comes with a relationship, I want the fights, the tears, EVERYTHING. I YEARN for it. I’ve been in a relationship before, it was absolute bliss for me.
I don't think you're weird for feeling like this at all, that's what a lot of people want in life.

Basing your life purpose on it however, sounds slightly unhealthy imo.
I’m not rushing really. Not even looking for anyone, I’ve learnt the best things come when you’re not even looking for it. But I still can’t help feeling like this. Relationships are amazing and I just want to have one for the rest of my life. Not necessarily marriage

Okay, I get what you mean. In this case, I think this feeling will pass. As I said, many people feel this way at some point. Once your life starts getting busy with work, school, commitments, I don’t think this will still be a priority for you at this age.
Original post by MidgetFever
I don't think you're weird for feeling like this at all, that's what a lot of people want in life.

Basing your life purpose on it however, sounds slightly unhealthy imo.

Yeah I know, it’s not great, but it’s truly how I feel. I fill up my life with work and chores but at the end of the day when I lie in bed to go to sleep all I can think about is how I want someone to be there next to me ya know?
Original post by watershower
Okay, I get what you mean. In this case, I think this feeling will pass. As I said, many people feel this way at some point. Once your life starts getting busy with work, school, commitments, I don’t think this will still be a priority for you at this age.

The thing is my life is already busy! I have so much better things I could be focusing on like school and uni and work and family, but to me it’s still a priority! Idek, there isn’t really a solution to my problem I guess

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending