Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
When I took my grade 6 in October 2018, I had the last week of July and the entire August without practice as I went to Australia as an exchange student. I ended up with 127 marks, was only 1 mark off a perfect score in aural, and achieved my best ever score in sight reading (18/21). I actually practiced for really long hours in September, the longest was 8 hours a week.
I am going to take grade 7 in August 2020, but because of the Coronavirus, the practice rooms that I use are closed for a month (I don't have a piano at home), so I have serious lack of practice, and will not use the rooms again until at least the second week of March as prevention measures. I was considering to take in April/May, but gave up on that period as it may clash with my IAS exams, and have to pay to change the time, which is not always successful. I think that I should move the exam to October, so I can have enough time to practice, or just remain it in August and have long practice hours in July?
aslkdjfh
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am taking piano grade 7 in March, and it really is kind of difficult. So I would only suggest you to take it in August if you are really willing pratice hard and it won't affect your academic work or some other stuff. If you really love paino and want try, I'd say you go for it. In my opinion, the soonner you take an exam, the better.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 8013)
When I took my grade 6 in October 2018, I had the last week of July and the entire August without practice as I went to Australia as an exchange student. I ended up with 127 marks, was only 1 mark off a perfect score in aural, and achieved my best ever score in sight reading (18/21). I actually practiced for really long hours in September, the longest was 8 hours a week.
I am going to take grade 7 in August 2020, but because of the Coronavirus, the practice rooms that I use are closed for a month (I don't have a piano at home), so I have serious lack of practice, and will not use the rooms again until at least the second week of March as prevention measures. I was considering to take in April/May, but gave up on that period as it may clash with my IAS exams, and have to pay to change the time, which is not always successful. I think that I should move the exam to October, so I can have enough time to practice, or just remain it in August and have long practice hours in July?
Yep, I'd definitely move it. There's quite a jump from Grade 6 to 7 and if you're short on practice it's going to show in your exam. October sounds more sensible to me.
Crumpet1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Have you thought about trying to find another piano locally to practice on? A local community Facebook page could be the ideal place to match a player without a piano, to a piano without a player.
Rep:
?
Current progress:
Piece A: Can play notes correctly, working on tonality
Piece B: Only middle section not too fluent. Flawless performance with dynamics in start and end sections.
Piece C: Occasional wrong notes, but fluency is maintained. Working on tempo.
Scales: Memorised whole book with 80% of the required tempo.
Sight reading: Half of the book done. Played very slowly, but the notes and dynamics are mostly correct.
Aural: not started yet
I have confirmed that I will be registering for IELTS on 25/7/2020, 8/8/2020, 22/8/2020 or 29/8/2020. I will most likely pick an earlier date if possible, so I can take my AB exam in late September or early October.
Last edited by 8013; 1 month ago
honeydukes01
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You only need about 2-3 weeks of solid practise for each exam so I think you should be fine. Keep it in August - you’ll have plenty of time.
Rep:
?
(Original post by honeydukes01)
You only need about 2-3 weeks of solid practise for each exam so I think you should be fine. Keep it in August - you’ll have plenty of time.
I am also planning to take IELTS during the summer. I need it for admission to uni in UK. If I take the AB exam in August, I will move my test to 12/9/2020 or 26/9/2020.
honeydukes01
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 8013)
I am also planning to take IELTS during the summer. I need it for admission to uni in UK. If I take the AB exam in August, I will move my test to 12/9/2020 or 26/9/2020.
Of course it’s your choice - I was just answering the q in your initial thread.

I’m not sure why you couldn’t do both at the same time? AB exams don’t require a huge amount of work - it would only be max 3 hours of practise a day for 2-3 weeks. And you said you already know the notes etc, so you won’t even need that long - it would probably only take a week for you to be exam ready.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 8013)
Current progress:
Piece A: Can play notes correctly, working on tonality
Piece B: Only middle section not too fluent. Flawless performance with dynamics in start and end sections.
Piece C: Occasional wrong notes, but fluency is maintained. Working on tempo.
Scales: Memorised whole book with 80% of the required tempo.
Sight reading: Half of the book done. Played very slowly, but the notes and dynamics are mostly correct.
Aural: not started yet
I have confirmed that I will be registering for IELTS on 25/7/2020, 8/8/2020, 22/8/2020 or 29/8/2020. I will most likely pick an earlier date if possible, so I can take my AB exam in late September or early October.
That sounds like a fair bit of work left to do to me, and confirms that the best thing to do would be to delay it if you want to do well.
Rep:
?
I will be resuming practice as follows, determining on the number of confirmed cases in HK.
1. If there are no more than 10 confirmed cases in the past week, I will practice for a maximum of 2 hours during that week.
2. If there are no more than 5 confirmed cases in the past week, I will practice for a maximum of 3 hours during that week.
3. If there are no more than 3 confirmed cases in the past week, I will practice for a maximum of 5 hours during that week.
Before each practice, I will clean my hands with alcoholic hand wash and clean the piano with alcoholic wet tissues.
Last edited by 8013; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (278)
15.42%
Uncertainty around my education (281)
15.59%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (178)
9.87%
Isolating with family (128)
7.1%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (81)
4.49%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (151)
8.37%
Loneliness (178)
9.87%
Financial worries (74)
4.1%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (166)
9.21%
Exposure to negative news/social media (129)
7.15%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (159)
8.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise