cruduxcruo9
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Can anyone explain (d) please? Why isn't CH3 an answer?or even C2H5? The Mr of both is less than 30. And are neutral too.Name:  Screenshot_20200224-081557__01.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  92.2 KB
Claisen
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The keyword is stable. CH3 radical will rearrange to give CH4, C2H3 radical will rearrange to give C2H4 to become stable.

This isn't to say all radicals are unstable. Pigster may know more about your specification and what you should know for mass spec.
Pigster
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by cruduxcruo9)
Can anyone explain (d) please? Why isn't CH3 an answer?or even C2H5? The Mr of both is less than 30. And are neutral too.
This isn't the spec I teach (anymore), but as Claisen points out, CH3 and C2H5 are both radicals, and as you should know radicals aren't known for being too stable.

'stable' is the key.
cruduxcruo9
Rep:
?
(Original post by Claisen)
The keyword is stable. CH3 radical will rearrange to give CH4, C2H3 radical will rearrange to give C2H4 to become stable.

This isn't to say all radicals are unstable. Pigster may know more about your specification and what you should know for mass spec.
Thank you!
cruduxcruo9
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pigster)
This isn't the spec I teach (anymore), but as Claisen points out, CH3 and C2H5 are both radicals, and as you should know radicals aren't known for being too stable.

'stable' is the key.
Thanks for the reply!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (103)
60.95%
No (66)
39.05%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed