To buy or not to buy animal crossing?

Watch
-Eirlys-
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm interested in the new Animal Crossing game. I used to play it a lot when I was younger on DS and my friend played it too. It looks like they've improved it a lot and it looks even cuter than before!

I've got some problems though;
  • I don't have a Nintendo switch and to buy one with the game will cost over £200. That's a lot of money to spend for one game.
  • I'm not interested in any other game that is currently available on switch and it's unlikely I'd play any other game on it as I use my PS4 for gaming mainly.
  • I'm annoyed that switch also has a pay to use online feature like the PlayStation, something I rarely pay for atm. So I wouldn't be using the online features of the game, plus that's another expense.
  • They're not offering cloud storage so you could lose your game data and also not be able to transfer it to another switch if you had to.
  • I rarely have time to play video games and I will always end up not playing a game for a while. Although I played animal crossing for a long time and even bought it and started over twice, I worry that now I'm older, I won't have the time to dedicate to it or I might get bored.
  • Could be a huge distraction around uni. 🙈

So my main issue is, do you think it's a good idea to spend that much money just to play one game? I also don't know if it's worth waiting a while after its release (summer holidays maybe?) to get it cheaper and for possible bugs/updates to be sorted.
Anyone else thinking of buying a switch just to play animal crossing?
linda1301
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
tbh if you don't have a nintendo switch and are not interested in any of the other games for it, it seems a bit over the top. How about one of the animal crossing games for regular nintendo? the new leaf one for nintendo 3ds is fun too
Chronoscope
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by -Eirlys-)
I'm interested in the new Animal Crossing game. I used to play it a lot when I was younger on DS and my friend played it too. It looks like they've improved it a lot and it looks even cuter than before!

I've got some problems though;
  • I don't have a Nintendo switch and to buy one with the game will cost over £200. That's a lot of money to spend for one game.
  • I'm not interested in any other game that is currently available on switch and it's unlikely I'd play any other game on it as I use my PS4 for gaming mainly.
  • I'm annoyed that switch also has a pay to use online feature like the PlayStation, something I rarely pay for atm. So I wouldn't be using the online features of the game, plus that's another expense.
  • They're not offering cloud storage so you could lose your game data and also not be able to transfer it to another switch if you had to.
  • I rarely have time to play video games and I will always end up not playing a game for a while. Although I played animal crossing for a long time and even bought it and started over twice, I worry that now I'm older, I won't have the time to dedicate to it or I might get bored.
  • Could be a huge distraction around uni. 🙈

So my main issue is, do you think it's a good idea to spend that much money just to play one game? I also don't know if it's worth waiting a while after its release (summer holidays maybe?) to get it cheaper and for possible bugs/updates to be sorted.
Anyone else thinking of buying a switch just to play animal crossing?
Nintendo... get cheaper? I wish :sad: I'm still waiting for DS games to get cheaper
It's a rather expensive purchase for just one game, although people do do it, and have still use the Nintendo Switch as a secondary console, once you've played one Switch game you'll likely get another (hard not to). Some other games are brilliant - Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros, Luigis Mansion, Pokemon Sword/Shield & Pikachu/Evee,
Personally I use my switch as my primary console but I'm more of a casual gamer

My recommendation if you just wanted to play Animal Crossing though would be the Nintendo Switch Lite (linking to argos as it has a pretty good description of what the Switch Lite does) the console is under the £200 mark by a pound, however the Switch Lite is just a handheld (think 3DS), but it doesn't connect up to the TV, or have detachable joy-cons though which could affect multiplayer play for some games e.g. smash bros, but it depends if you normally just play by yourself irl. However, you can still play pretty much all the games (except Super Mario party, Nintendo Labo, 1-2 and a few more).
It will depend if you want a handheld or still want the Switch which docks to the TV (which will be more expensive unfortunately).

Re. online play - for the Switch Online is isn't too bad for a month (£3.49), you can also cancel anytime which is helpful if say you play a lot during one month but are busy the next month.

My opinion of the Switch is probably a bit biased but I do really like - fun to play and have an alternative console to play on if someone wants to use the TV :yes:
Hope that helped a bit :penguinhug:
Last edited by Chronoscope; 1 month ago
-Eirlys-
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by linda1301)
tbh if you don't have a nintendo switch and are not interested in any of the other games for it, it seems a bit over the top. How about one of the animal crossing games for regular nintendo? the new leaf one for nintendo 3ds is fun too
But I don't have the 3DS, so I'd still have to buy a console and the new Animal Crossing is a big improvement in the previous games. It would be weird to go back to the game I have from 2005 when we've got a new game available with better graphics.
(Original post by Chronoscope)
Nintendo... get cheaper? I wish :sad: I'm still waiting for DS games to get cheaper
It's a rather expensive purchase for just one game, although people do do it, and have still use the Nintendo Switch as a secondary console, once you've played one Switch game you'll likely get another (hard not to). Some other games are brilliant - Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros, Luigis Mansion, Pokemon Sword/Shield & Pikachu/Evee,
Personally I use my switch as my primary console but I'm more of a casual gamer

My recommendation if you just wanted to play Animal Crossing though would be the Nintendo Switch Lite (linking to argos as it has a pretty good description of what the Switch Lite does) the console is under the £200 mark by a pound, however the Switch Lite is just a handheld (think 3DS), but it doesn't connect up to the TV, or have detachable joy-cons though which could affect multiplayer play for some games e.g. smash bros, but it depends if you normally just play by yourself irl. However, you can still play pretty much all the games (except Super Mario party, Nintendo Labo, 1-2 and a few more).
It will depend if you want a handheld or still want the Switch which docks to the TV (which will be more expensive unfortunately).

Re. online play - for the Switch Online is isn't too bad for a month (£3.49), you can also cancel anytime which is helpful if say you play a lot during one month but are busy the next month.

My opinion of the Switch is probably a bit biased but I do really like - fun to play and have an alternative console to play on if someone wants to use the TV :yes:
Hope that helped a bit :penguinhug:
Thanks! I'm thinking of the lite tbh, it's cheaper through amazon too. It sucks that it's only available on one console. 😔 How often do you play your switch and do you travel with it? I don't play games as much as I used to unfortunately.
ozzyoscy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Buy it, play it. If you ever get bored of it: sell it.
FAZE Phluid
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
wanting to get a game that releases on march 20th...

GET DOOM ETERNAL
Reguken
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by linda1301)
I love New Leaf to death, bought Sky3ds so I only need one cartridge to play that game and a lot more
combatmatrix088
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Nahh, it's not worth buying a whole console just for one game. Unless you find some other titles that you would like to try with Switch
xoxAngel_Kxox
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
From what I've seen on selling sites, they hold their value quite well when it comes to selling used consoles. You could buy a used console, and then sell it if it turns out you don't use it as much as you'd hoped.

I'm restraining myself from buying one at the moment too!
Rexicon7
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No. Don't bother. I'm already bored of the game; it's definitely not worth buying a switch for. But BOTW is, and there are lots of amazing Nintendo exclusives on switch.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (226)
33.68%
No (445)
66.32%

Watched Threads