How come so many people drive with broken lights?

Watch
StriderHort
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
As title, just curious really.

Well aware all lights need to work for MOT ect, but keep seeing cars just float about with an obvious head or tail light out? (2 in last 5 min) Is this the sort of thing police still pull people over or have they just sort gave up on it?

Back working for my council the DVLA used to spot check us pretty often in the mornings, just park outside the depot and pull a few of the vans for light checks ect.
Last edited by StriderHort; 1 month ago
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
As title, just curious really. (how come SO many drivers...:rolleyes: )

Well aware all lights need to work for MOT ect, but keep seeing cars just float about with an obvious head or tail light out? (2 in last 5 min) Is this the sort of thing police still pull people over or have they just sort gave up on it?

Back working for my council the DVLA used to spot check us pretty often in the mornings, just park outside the depot and pull a few of the vans for light checks ect.
In our neck of the woods, coppers will still pull you for having a light out. Mrs RC suffered this fate before Christmas and they also took the opportunity to breathalyse her (due probably to the time of day, the fact it was near Christmas and that she's an erratic woman driver). I'd like to know how many further defects like dodgy tyres or things like no insurance/driving license are discovered via these routine stops for something as 'minor' as a bust lamp.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

They're idiots - pretty simple really.

You don't need to be mechanically minded to replace a bulb (in most cases anyway) but even if you don't want to do it yourself, Halfrauds will do it for a few quid.

Lazy and ignorant drivers everywhere.

Another pet peeve of mine is beam alignment. Literally takes a minute to fix...
Justvisited
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
They're idiots - pretty simple really.

You don't need to be mechanically minded to replace a bulb (in most cases anyway) but even if you don't want to do it yourself, Halfrauds will do it for a few quid.

Lazy and ignorant drivers everywhere.

Tell us all about it, how do you get the casing off and then securely refix it? And what signals beam misalignment?
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Justvisited)
Tell us all about it, how do you get the casing off and then securely refix it? And what signals beam misalignment?
What casing?

People flashing you on a regular basis is usually a good indication your lights are ****ed...
the beer
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Bulbs aren't supposed to go anymore so they no longer make it easy to change and it can be very expensive.
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Basically because

a) Drivers don't do full walk round checks of vehicles before they drive. Cars aren't even designed to do that, because you can't test light settings as a single driver being both inside switching switches and simultaneously outside. Happens in aviation, never going to happen in car driving.

b) Flashing headlights is useless - what does it mean? You are going to fast, to slow, you have lights out, your car is annoying me, there's a speed trap ahead, your light is out, it wasn't a flash - I've just driven over a bump or through a pothole ....

c) Very few vehicles out on the road have the power to pull you over and tell you.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
I'd like to know how many further defects like dodgy tyres or things like no insurance/driving license are discovered via these routine stops for something as 'minor' as a bust lamp.
That would be my worry, if they're going to stop you they're likely going to try and make it worth their while, and if they're particularly bloody minded they'll find something to complain about :rolleyes:

Daft Q, but is that where the bulb is slightly out of place and while still 'on' obv isn't hitting the reflector right and just looks really weak? I've had to fix that after changing bulbs last time but was easy enough to footer with without tools, just a clippy plastic lid.

(Original post by threeportdrift)
Basically because

a) Drivers don't do full walk round checks of vehicles before they drive. Cars aren't even designed to do that, because you can't test light settings as a single driver being both inside switching switches and simultaneously outside. Happens in aviation, never going to happen in car driving.

b) Flashing headlights is useless - what does it mean? You are going to fast, to slow, you have lights out, your car is annoying me, there's a speed trap ahead, your light is out, it wasn't a flash - I've just driven over a bump or through a pothole ....

c) Very few vehicles out on the road have the power to pull you over and tell you.
I still have a few weird videos on my phone where i had to prop it on a lamp post to film me testing rear lights :rolleyes:

In my lexicon, headlight flash means 'I see you/will wait for you', although I get that's just me which kind of ruins the point, I only use it for 'positive' actions and i'm not really the tailgating 'get out of my way' type.

I just kind of assumed the police would still pull people for it, i'm in a major city so i'll often cross their paths on any given drive at some point, just curious why people seem to have no fear of it? maybe police funding cuts, change in priorities, newer officers simply not giving a toss ect.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Daft Q, but is that where the bulb is slightly out of place and while still 'on' obv isn't hitting the reflector right and just looks really weak? I've had to fix that after changing bulbs last time but was easy enough to footer with without tools, just a clippy plastic lid.
Pretty much, usually too far to the right so when you're driving down the road you end up blinding oncoming traffic.

There's a horizontal and vertical adjustment screw on basically every housing I've seen - some are so easy to access it baffles me as to why people don't get it sorted.
alex282
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Because lots of practical life skills such as changing a car headlight are being forgotten and now the majority of people don't have a clue how to do it
the beer
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by alex282)
Because lots of practical life skills such as changing a car headlight are being forgotten and now the majority of people don't have a clue how to do it
There really wasn't any skill to it, just replace the bulb simple now you have to remove body panels, reset computers, check control units, last time a bulb went on my car 2 garages couldn't find the fault and the main dealer wanted £1500.
Last edited by the beer; 1 month ago
MoonlightRain
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
In our neck of the woods, coppers will still pull you for having a light out. Mrs RC suffered this fate before Christmas and they also took the opportunity to breathalyse her (due probably to the time of day, the fact it was near Christmas and that she's an erratic woman driver). I'd like to know how many further defects like dodgy tyres or things like no insurance/driving license are discovered via these routine stops for something as 'minor' as a bust lamp.
You’re married???
StriderHort
Rep:
?
(Original post by the beer)
There really wasn't any skill to it, just replace the bulb simple now you have to remove body panels, reset computers, check control units, last time a bulb went on my car 2 garages couldn't find the fault and the main dealer wanted £1500.
That's more than my car cost
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MoonlightRain)
You’re married???
"Mrs RC" refers to any one of a number of ladies :laugh:
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by the beer)
That's main dealers for you.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
I asked my dealer how much it was to install free parts to fix a known design flaw and apparently it's £77 a month, sods I guess i'll be using the ebay one with the sodding serial numbers filed off then :rolleyes:
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Breaking the law whilst driving is seen by too many people as not a crime.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I asked my dealer how much it was to install free parts to fix a known design flaw and apparently it's £77 a month, sods I guess i'll be using the ebay one with the sodding serial numbers filed off then :rolleyes:
I'm intrigued, tell me more
StriderHort
Rep:
?
I'm intrigued, tell me more
I'm paraphrasing slightly, but its a design fault with a wiring harness off my cars crankcase, which they've sort of admitted and offer a fix for, but apparently not to the point of it being an actual recall. They've called it a Service Campaign or whatever, and the work is to be carried out for free during servicing. So when I ask what potential costs are i'm really happy when they say servicing starts from £77 (Yay!) ....per month. (booo!) so, no, I do not think I will be taking my car for a dealer service, ever .

So I've obv bought the harness off ebay with a suspicious amount of filing :rolleyes:
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm paraphrasing slightly, but its a design fault with a wiring harness off my cars crankcase, which they've sort of admitted and offer a fix for, but apparently not to the point of it being an actual recall. They've called it a Service Campaign or whatever, and the work is to be carried out for free during servicing. So when I ask what potential costs are i'm really happy when they say servicing starts from £77 (Yay!) ....per month. (booo!) so, no, I do not think I will be taking my car for a dealer service, ever .

So I've obv bought the harness off ebay with a suspicious amount of filing :rolleyes:
Sounds like a VAG - go on, let me guess, Porsche? Audi?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (185)
15.37%
Uncertainty around my education (197)
16.36%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (117)
9.72%
Isolating with family (85)
7.06%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (46)
3.82%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (102)
8.47%
Loneliness (117)
9.72%
Financial worries (52)
4.32%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (110)
9.14%
Exposure to negative news/social media (89)
7.39%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (104)
8.64%

Watched Threads