Help! English Literature Close Reading - University Level

Watch
BM2001
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I have a close reading of a section of Goblin Market by Christina Rossetti to do and I am struggling to think of ideas or how to approach it. The extract is from line 115-183, link: https://rpo.library.utoronto.ca/poems/goblin-market. Has anyone answered a similar question or has any ideas on how to approach this essay?
Foreverneek
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
It has been a long time since I read this poem. I would approach it from the perspective of sex-gender hierarchy and the sexual subjugation and powerlessness of women. This poem is definitely euphemistic ('fruit globes fair or red' / 'suck'd' for example) and sexual in nature.

You could also address the portrayal of fair, blonde women throughout literature - I think that they tend to be elevated over darker haired women with blonde hair associated with Aphrodite and sainthood in different traditions.

At this moment in the poem, the woman is vulnerable, made a victim by the goblin men who seem to manipulate her with their hypnotic allure. This poem seems critical of patriarchy, with the male goblins presented as predatory. There is also, perhaps, a religious / moral message that giving in to temptation is dangerous.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (41)
31.78%
No - I have already returned home (16)
12.4%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (27)
20.93%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (11)
8.53%
No - I live at home during term anyway (34)
26.36%

Watched Threads