The Student Room Group

How much £ do you need to survive a month in London?

I'll be attending an undergrad course at Uni of Westminster, Harrow campus - so not central London. Will be paying rent for a flat split with a friend and assuming it will be up to £680/month per person. I'll definitely be getting a part-time job, and I wanted to hear from you - how much money do you need to survive a month, in similar circumstances to mine? How do you earn it? How do you balance work and uni? Is it hard to work and study at the same time?
Reply 1
I will say you need to make at least £600- £1,000 a month. Depends what you’ll be spending it on. Try getting a bursary
Reply 2
Original post by Mikitaaa
I will say you need to make at least £600- £1,000 a month. Depends what you’ll be spending it on. Try getting a bursary

I don't think I'll have a lot of expenses tbh, will be cooking for myself so just basic groceries for a plant-based diet, no clothes and stuff like that unless absolutely necessary. And hay for my rabbit lol
Original post by filter300
I'll be attending an undergrad course at Uni of Westminster, Harrow campus - so not central London. Will be paying rent for a flat split with a friend and assuming it will be up to £680/month per person. I'll definitely be getting a part-time job, and I wanted to hear from you - how much money do you need to survive a month, in similar circumstances to mine? How do you earn it? How do you balance work and uni? Is it hard to work and study at the same time?

Hey @filter300

In terms of money to survive a month, it varies for each person.

The best thing to do is to create a budget with all of your predicted outgoings (rent, travel, food, bills, etc) and see if that can be covered by your student loan (if you're going to get one).

Once you know how much you're spending you'll know how much extra money and how many hours you'll need to work.

I suggest looking for work at your university or on campus as they should be more understanding when it comes to needing time off to study etc. Some people find it hard to work and study and others don't. It all depends on your course and how many hours you will be recommended to study.

If there are any other questions you have about budgeting or student money please feel free to reach out to me on this thread!

Sarah,
Marketing Graduate :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending