eyeofahurricane
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I've applied for deferred entry for Modern Languages and received all of my offers back. The first open day I went to was Bath and, having previously thought I didn't want to go to uni at all, I loved it; the course, the campus, everything. I then visited Royal Holloway and also loved everything there. I recently went to applicant days at Royal Holloway and Reading, and again loved Royal Holloway, and thought the course at Reading seemed good but didn't get any feeling of 'wow I'd love to be here' like I did with the others. My problem is that Bath want AAB, Royal Holloway want ABB, and Reading want BBB. My predicted grades are ABB, but in my mocks I got ADD and I've really been struggling to keep up with everything so my confidence in my ability to get the grades in the summer is very low. I don't know whether to put Bath as my firm and Royal Holloway as my insurance, where I'd be happy with either but don't really think I can manage to get AAB and maybe not even ABB. If I put Royal Holloway as my firm and Reading as my insurance, it's more likely that I'd at least get my insurance, but I don't really feel like I want to go there. Since I'm taking a gap year I know I'll have time to change my mind and maybe even reapply, but I don't know what to do now because I have to state my firm and insurance by the 5th of May.
efjsdb
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Don't put a university you don't want to go to down. So many people I know did because it was a better offer, but they regretted it
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by eyeofahurricane)
I've applied for deferred entry for Modern Languages and received all of my offers back. The first open day I went to was Bath and, having previously thought I didn't want to go to uni at all, I loved it; the course, the campus, everything. I then visited Royal Holloway and also loved everything there. I recently went to applicant days at Royal Holloway and Reading, and again loved Royal Holloway, and thought the course at Reading seemed good but didn't get any feeling of 'wow I'd love to be here' like I did with the others. My problem is that Bath want AAB, Royal Holloway want ABB, and Reading want BBB. My predicted grades are ABB, but in my mocks I got ADD and I've really been struggling to keep up with everything so my confidence in my ability to get the grades in the summer is very low. I don't know whether to put Bath as my firm and Royal Holloway as my insurance, where I'd be happy with either but don't really think I can manage to get AAB and maybe not even ABB. If I put Royal Holloway as my firm and Reading as my insurance, it's more likely that I'd at least get my insurance, but I don't really feel like I want to go there. Since I'm taking a gap year I know I'll have time to change my mind and maybe even reapply, but I don't know what to do now because I have to state my firm and insurance by the 5th of May.
Pick where you want to go.

If you’re worried about meeting the grades then speak to bath and RHUL and ask them what normally happens if someone misses the grades for your course. They might be able to reassure you that they normally have some flexibility. It’s very common for universities to accept 1/2/more gardes lower than their offer but it depends on the course.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Since you're taking a gap year anyway, you can afford to aim high. I would pick Bath and RHUL - if you end up getting rejected from both you could retake your weaker A levels next year.

You could also make a fresh UCAS application next year if you get rejected from both. It's much easier applying with acheived grades because you get unconditional offers which makes the choice much easier.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I would go for Bath and RHUL. There is a strong possibility that RHUL will accept you with dropped grades. If the worse happens and you get rejected from both then you could look at other options in clearing. Take your time in making a decision as you have until 5 May.
Admit-One
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by swanseajack1)
I would go for Bath and RHUL. There is a strong possibility that RHUL will accept you with dropped grades. If the worse happens and you get rejected from both then you could look at other options in clearing. Take your time in making a decision as you have until 5 May.
Just to note that they are applying for deferred entry which is not ordinarily possible via Clearing.

But otherwise, agree with all of the above replies; aim high and see what happens. Worst case, reapply next cycle.
Seanamendez
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi I was also thinking about going royal holloway next year, what was the good and bad things about it?
emiloujess
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
In my opinion - firm Bath, RHUL as insurance, regardless of grades. These seem to be in line with what you thought of the universities and RHUL in particular are very 'good' with accepting people if they have dropped grades. They've been like this since I applied four years ago. Whatever you decide, good luck!
eyeofahurricane
Rep:
?
(Original post by emiloujess)
In my opinion - firm Bath, RHUL as insurance, regardless of grades. These seem to be in line with what you thought of the universities and RHUL in particular are very 'good' with accepting people if they have dropped grades. They've been like this since I applied four years ago. Whatever you decide, good luck!
RHUL is kind of my preferred of the two by a very small margin though, and if I had them as my firm I’d be more likely to get benefits like better chance of my choice accommodation etc, so it seems like I should put them as my firm but then I don’t have any insurance
emiloujess
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
RHUL is kind of my preferred of the two by a very small margin though, and if I had them as my firm I’d be more likely to get benefits like better chance of my choice accommodation etc, so it seems like I should put them as my firm but then I don’t have any insurance
Ah ok well you can not have an insurance if you choose. Perhaps wait a month or so, just to attend any applicant days (if there are any and if you can attend) and really be sure about the choices - it will make no difference whether you choose now or then as long as it is before the deadline (5th May assuming you are a Home student). So many people are regretting choosing on TSR already
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
You should always Firm the one you actually do like best, regardless of grades. It's not compulsory to have an Insurance
eyeofahurricane
Rep:
?
(Original post by Seanamendez)
Hi I was also thinking about going royal holloway next year, what was the good and bad things about it?
The community feel was so good, everyone was really welcoming and kind. I really liked the languages course as well and the fact that they do flexible assessment styles so you don’t always have to do exams (i struggle with the exam environment). Also the campus is just so pretty!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (49)
16.23%
I'm not sure (8)
2.65%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (103)
34.11%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.32%
I'm not a current university student (138)
45.7%

Watched Threads