shinypixel
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m not sure if I want to do medicine at university next year but I’ve already received offers. If I was to have a confirmed place etc after results day, and I decided to drop out before my course started and take a gap year, would it affect my ability to apply to medical schools for the next year?
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by shinypixel)
I’m not sure if I want to do medicine at university next year but I’ve already received offers. If I was to have a confirmed place etc after results day, and I decided to drop out before my course started and take a gap year, would it affect my ability to apply to medical schools for the next year?
Why would you do that though? Perhaps ask for a deferred entry?
kayam23
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey I don't know too much about medicine courses but I think it would affect your chances. It may be better to either start the course to find out for sure whether it's for you, or defer till next year. By deferring you're not dropping out, just giving yourself the chance to consider your options without giving up your hard earned place
David Getling
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you want a gap year then withdraw your application now. Put yourself in the position of a university. Would you want someone who had messed you or another university around, especially when you had plenty of other eager candidates? I'm guessing that you already suspect the reaction you will get if you do this.

Also, if you do take a gap year make sure you use it well, because later in life you don't want to have to lie to people or tell them that you spent a year clubbing and getting up late.
shinypixel
Rep:
?
(Original post by David Getling)
If you want a gap year then withdraw your application now. Put yourself in the position of a university. Would you want someone who had messed you or another university around, especially when you had plenty of other eager candidates? I'm guessing that you already suspect the reaction you will get if you do this.

Also, if you do take a gap year make sure you use it well, because later in life you don't want to have to lie to people or tell them that you spent a year clubbing and getting up late.
The only reason I haven’t withdrawn my medicine options is because I’m not sure if I want to take a gap year, I wanted to finish my a levels and then think about it over the holiday. I withdrew my application to my backup choice university even though they gave me an offer
shinypixel
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
Why would you do that though? Perhaps ask for a deferred entry?
I thought it wasn’t possible to request for deferred entry without a concrete reason (like I’m not recovering from severe illness or anything, I’m just unsure if the course and university is the correct choice).

I discussed it with my teachers and peers who said that I should focus on my a levels, and make a decision over the summer break. The reason I asked was, I could have taken a gap year to decide what I want to do and then realise I wanted to do medicine afterwards.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I thought it wasn’t possible to request for deferred entry without a concrete reason (like I’m not recovering from severe illness or anything, I’m just unsure if the course and university is the correct choice).

I discussed it with my teachers and peers who said that I should focus on my a levels, and make a decision over the summer break. The reason I asked was, I could have taken a gap year to decide what I want to do and then realise I wanted to do medicine afterwards.
Ask the med school, in fact you can do it anonymously - just call and say if your have an offer but change your mind can you defer a year, Many wouldn't mind.
shinypixel
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
Ask the med school, in fact you can do it anonymously - just call and say if your have an offer but change your mind can you defer a year, Many wouldn't mind.
Thank you so much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (21)
6.25%
Uncertainty around my education (36)
10.71%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (38)
11.31%
Lack of purpose or motivation (47)
13.99%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (17)
5.06%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (14)
4.17%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (35)
10.42%
Financial worries (24)
7.14%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (15)
4.46%
Exposure to negative news/social media (21)
6.25%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (9)
2.68%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (34)
10.12%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (25)
7.44%

Watched Threads