Logarithms and exponential functions

Watch
Shas72
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
The mass m grams of a radio active substance is given by the formula m= m0×e^-kt
Shas72
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
(Original post by Shas72)
The mass m grams of a radio active substance is given by the formula m= m0×e^-kt
Name:  15825520564573153799128628647527.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  74.6 KB
Notnek
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
What's your question?
Shas72
Rep:
Name:  15825520564573153799128628647527.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  74.6 KB
I got the ans for a and b. The question c iam not understanding. So k=0.02 and m0= 50
Notnek
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I got the ans for a and b. The question c iam not understanding. So k=0.02 and m0= 50
Do you have any idea for c? Are you able to write down an equation?
Shas72
Rep:
(Original post by Sir Cumference)
Its 3.91
Shas72
Rep:
So I got ln m= -kt+ln m0
Shas72
Rep:
Iam not able to do question c which is half life of the radioactive substance
Notnek
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
So I got ln m= -kt+ln m0
You don't need k and m0 anymore because you know their values. So first write out the equation with these values substituted in.

You need to find the time taken to get to half its original mass. What's the original mass? So what's half the original mass?
Shas72
Rep:
You don't need k and m0 anymore because you know their values. So first write out the equation with these values substituted in.

You need to find the time taken to get to half its original mass. What's the original mass? So what's half the original mass?
Is the original mass 40.9
Notnek
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Is the original mass 40.9
How did you get that?
Shas72
Rep:
How did you get that?
From the table of values of t and m
Notnek
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
From the table of values of t and m
No that's the mass at time t = 10. The original mass is the time at t = 0.
Shas72
Rep:
So how will I calculate?
Shas72
Rep:
Do I have to use geometric progression
Shas72
Rep:
So m0 is 50
Notnek
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
So how will I calculate?
You now know (after solving part b) that the estimated equation for mass is this

m=50e^{-0.02t}

So what is m when t = 0? That's the original mass.
Notnek
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
So m0 is 50
Yes. And that's the original mass because it's the value of m when t = 0. So what's half of the original mass? Now make an equation and solve it.
Shas72
Rep:
Yes. And that's the original mass because it's the value of m when t = 0. So what's half of the original mass? Now make an equation and solve it.
Half is 25. How do I make an equation?
Shas72
Rep:
So I substituted these values in the formula given and it is 25=50× e^-0.02t
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you find most difficult about revising?

Prioritising what to revise (7)
10.45%
Remembering what was covered in lessons (1)
1.49%
Finding the time to revise (6)
8.96%
Finding the motivation (14)
20.9%
Getting distracted (12)
17.91%
Procrastination (27)
40.3%
Having the tools you need (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (0)
0%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise