Patrick_YT
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Looking at some Universities they offer Qualifying law degrees but their modules dont cover the foundation modules such as EU or constitutional?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
The SRA has changed how qualifying as a solicitor works, so the seven foundational areas no longer apply to that side of things (although you will need to know that content for the Solicitor's Qualifying Exam, as I understand, you aren't necessarily required to have formally studied it in a degree program). It still applies for the Bar side of the profession though, however given Brexit the status of EU law as one of these is perhaps under debate (it still remains one currently). So for the SRA side of things any law degree no matter what modules you take will be suitable, whereas for the Bar side you need to take specific modules - these are not always "core" modules for the programme, to accommodate the interests and requirements of different students (e.g. those intending to practise outside the UK); one such example is Cambridge, I believe.

Something else to be aware of is that it's possible this content is covered but dispersed among various core modules and not necessarily labelled in the way you might expect. Constitutional law might be contained in a module called "Public Law", and I suppose it might be theoretically possible all the EU content is just split into each relevant area where there are EU statutes etc that apply, with some general principles of the EU baked into some kind of "professional skills" or "legal institutions" module.

If in doubt, send an email to the law department(s) in question asking if they can detail where the seven foundation subjects required for a degree to meet the academic component of Bar training are within the structure of their law degree.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 8 months ago
Laya_
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
What unis are you looking at? Studying constitutional and EU (although not sure about EU now) are a must. So ??? Maybe they just come under another module
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (692)
33.79%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (873)
42.63%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (391)
19.09%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (92)
4.49%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise