The Student Room Group

No response from Unis

Hello guys!

I've applied trough UCAS on the 14th of NOVEMBER and still haven't received TWO responses. I've applied for Psychology BSC (C800) and still waiting for Durham and UCL. I received the offer at Kings on the 4th of February, and the other two back in November. I am very very panicked since all of my friends with good personal statements have received all of their offers and I'm afraid that my course is running out of places and there will be none available for me.

Why haven't I received my offer? Anyone in the same situation? I'm reading with enthusiasm every single answer whether it is positive or negative. Thanks in advance!

PS: I have multiple theories regarding the admission process and, implicitly, the reason for why I haven't yet received my answer and what would that possibly mean. If you are interested i can list them below.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

who cares? you got into Kings. they're basically the same grade requirements. You should be grateful. Im sure you will be just fine. Good luck in the exams.
Reply 2
Original post by finnafailmymocks
who cares? you got into Kings. they're basically the same grade requirements. You should be grateful. Im sure you will be just fine. Good luck in the exams.

Thank you for your supporting words, I am indeed grateful! The problem is that I don't like the Kings' course as much as UCL's, besides the fact that UCL is more prestigious. Thank you for believing in me!

By mentioning the grade requirements do you want to say that the predictions aren't too low for UCL and they should be enough, right?
Reply 3
Original post by ShummyBooy
PS: I have multiple theories regarding the admission process and, implicitly, the reason for why I haven't yet received my answer and what would that possibly mean. If you are interested i can list them below.

I'm sorry to hear that you have been waiting so long. I'm also in the process of waiting for one stubborn school to send my final offer. I haven't been waiting for nearly as long as you have been, but it's still nerve wracking since all my other schools responded awhile ago. I am curious to hear your theories about the admissions process though! I am international so I have absolutely no clue when it comes to UK admissions. I just learned enough to send my application through UCAS.
Hello guys!

I've applied trough UCAS on the 14th of NOVEMBER and still haven't received TWO responses. I've applied for Psychology BSC (C800) and still waiting for Durham and UCL. I received the offer at Kings on the 4th of February, and the other two back in November. I am very very panicked since all of my friends with good personal statements have received all of their offers and I'm afraid that my course is running out of places and there will be none available for me.

Why haven't I received my offer? Anyone in the same situation? I'm reading with enthusiasm every single answer whether it is positive or negative. Thanks in advance!

It's quite common to not have replies from every uni yet - they have until mid-may to respond! It doesn't mean much if you get an offer early on - there are so many factors involved (eg. course, college (for Durham)...).

It just takes time for universities to look through every application and give each one the time it deserves. Don't fret! You've already received offers from amazing universities (Kings is great!), and the process just takes time
Durham and UCL are often over subscribed and tend to be slow making offers because they have to treat everyone who applied before 15 Jan equally. This is probably the reason for the delay. They will consider early applications against those coming in later before deciding who will be accepted or rejected. Obvious acceptances or rejections might be made early but the majority will be advised as they go through the list. Unfortunately this will take time and hence the reason for your delay.
Reply 6
Original post by JLF19
I'm sorry to hear that you have been waiting so long. I'm also in the process of waiting for one stubborn school to send my final offer. I haven't been waiting for nearly as long as you have been, but it's still nerve wracking since all my other schools responded awhile ago. I am curious to hear your theories about the admissions process though! I am international so I have absolutely no clue when it comes to UK admissions. I just learned enough to send my application through UCAS.

Hi, I'm also an international student so please keep in mind that these are just theories, and that nothing should be taken too serious since these are only some thoughts of mine, even though they are very logical and seem very credible if you follow my explanation closely.

Firstly, we haven't received offers because they do not know what they should with us, whether to accept us or reject us. Since that rejections have been sent, however, this means that we, the ones who are still waiting, have similar, average applications. We are on that thin line between rejection and admission. However, as days by, some students of our mediocre group receive offers, grabbing a spot in the course, resulting in a decrease in the number of spots available for the course. That is very logical and it has to be correct to some extent. If you were a top student, you'd have received an offer by now, and, also, the other way around, if you were a bad student, you'd have received a rejection by now. To put it in a larger perspective and to outline the reason why I am panicked, with every day that passes, the chances of still having a spot available for me slightly decreases.

On the other hand (and secondly), people are starting to select their firm and insurance choices. For example student X has received offers from Lancaster, Manchester and Oxford (totally random). If he picks as firm Lancaster and as insurance Oxford, this means that under no circumstances he will end up in Manchester, thus resulting in the fact that the spot which was occupied by student X has now freed up and awaits for student Y, which, one day after, receives a long awaited offer. This also seems extremely logical and fair, and it's connected somehow to the first one, although if it were to be this case, the days that pass by are a blessing, since the Uni put you on an imaginary "waiting list", not a curse.

They both seem correct and very logical, but who knows if they are legit or not? Guess we'll never find out anyways.
Reply 7
Original post by swanseajack1
Durham and UCL are often over subscribed and tend to be slow making offers because they have to treat everyone who applied before 15 Jan equally. This is probably the reason for the delay. They will consider early applications against those coming in later before deciding who will be accepted or rejected. Obvious acceptances or rejections might be made early but the majority will be advised as they go through the list. Unfortunately this will take time and hence the reason for your delay.

I get it, seems fair, didn't know that. Seems that I'll be receiving an answer earlier than someone who applied in January, at least that. Thank you for responding!
Reply 8
Original post by outlandishcandle
It's quite common to not have replies from every uni yet - they have until mid-may to respond! It doesn't mean much if you get an offer early on - there are so many factors involved (eg. course, college (for Durham)...).

It just takes time for universities to look through every application and give each one the time it deserves. Don't fret! You've already received offers from amazing universities (Kings is great!), and the process just takes time

Got it, I thought that it was extremely uncommon to not have replies from every uni. Thank you for making time to respond!
I get it, seems fair, didn't know that. Seems that I'll be receiving an answer earlier than someone who applied in January, at least that. Thank you for responding!

You wont receive it any quicker. They compare yours and the later applicants against each other to allow for equal consideration. Durham in particular is well known for delays in making decisions for some applicants. They have been known to take until May in previous years.
Reply 10
Hi, I'm also an international student so please keep in mind that these are just theories, and that nothing should be taken too serious since these are only some thoughts of mine, even though they are very logical and seem very credible if you follow my explanation closely.

They both seem correct and very logical, but who knows if they are legit or not? Guess we'll never find out anyways.

Oooh! do you mind saying where you are from? I'm just curious, but you don't have to say. And your two theories seem pretty reasonable. I would guess that it would be both of them working together. Sure spots are filling up, but at the same time spots are opening up. So maybe the chances of us getting offers is based on how we rank on the 'waiting list' vs the ratio of spots filling up to spots opening up. That's just adding my two cents. Thanks for sharing your theories though!
Reply 11
Original post by JLF19
Oooh! do you mind saying where you are from? I'm just curious, but you don't have to say. And your two theories seem pretty reasonable. I would guess that it would be both of them working together. Sure spots are filling up, but at the same time spots are opening up. So maybe the chances of us getting offers is based on how we rank on the 'waiting list' vs the ratio of spots filling up to spots opening up. That's just adding my two cents. Thanks for sharing your theories though!

No probs, I'm from Romania, what about you?
Reply 12
No probs, I'm from Romania, what about you?

Oh cool! I've never been to Romania, but I would love to go! I want to travel a lot. That is part of the reason why I chose to apply in the UK to begin with, once I get there, it will be so much easier to get to the rest of Europe! Not to mention that its cheaper, even with flight costs. I'm from the United States.
Reply 13
Original post by JLF19
Oh cool! I've never been to Romania, but I would love to go! I want to travel a lot. That is part of the reason why I chose to apply in the UK to begin with, once I get there, it will be so much easier to get to the rest of Europe! Not to mention that its cheaper, even with flight costs. I'm from the United States.

I know it is very very much off topic but for travelling in Europe check this out https://www.interrail.eu/en/interrail-passes. It explains it very well on the site but if you have any questions about Europe (anything about lifestyle, culture, education, t r a v e l l i n g etc) or if you'd like to continue our chat feel free to dm me on instagram tudor_deaconu !
Reply 14
I know it is very very much off topic but for travelling in Europe check this out https://www.interrail.eu/en/interrail-passes. It explains it very well on the site but if you have any questions about Europe (anything about lifestyle, culture, education, t r a v e l l i n g etc) or if you'd like to continue our chat feel free to dm me on instagram tudor_deaconu !

Thanks a lot! I'll make sure to check it out!
On the other hand (and secondly), people are starting to select their firm and insurance choices. For example student X has received offers from Lancaster, Manchester and Oxford (totally random). If he picks as firm Lancaster and as insurance Oxford, this means that under no circumstances he will end up in Manchester, thus resulting in the fact that the spot which was occupied by student X has now freed up and awaits for student Y, which, one day after, receives a long awaited offer.

Hi, I work in admissions so can explain the process a bit. The above is not true for the vast majority of undergraduate courses in the U.K.

A very small number of courses with limited spaces, (things like Medicine), might use a waiting list and ‘release’ spaces when their offers are declined.

However this is not the case for most courses. Instead, up until the guaranteed consideration deadline, Uni’s will make offers to everyone that meets their internal criteria. They will make many more offers than they have places available, as they know that many offers will either be declined, or the applicant will not meet the conditions and will not be accepted by the Uni.

In the case of the OP, if they haven’t heard anything, then they are still being considered. The delay is not cause for concern by itself, as uni’s have until April to make a decision.
Reply 16
Original post by Admit-One
Uni’s will make offers to everyone that meets their internal criteria. They will make many more offers than they have places available, as they know that many offers will either be declined, or the applicant will not meet the conditions and will not be accepted by the Uni.

This is reassuring to hear. Thanks! @ShummyBooy, I thought your theory sounded plausible, too, but I'm glad to hear it's not.

@Admit-One, Do the unis you've applied to know when you've received all of your offers?
Original post by JJSJ125
@Admit-One, Do the unis you've applied to know when you've received all of your offers?

I actually can’t remember if the applicant is flagged differently on UCAS when all offers are received. If so, it would be limited to “awaiting response from applicant” or some such.

Until you have selected your Firm and Insurance places, Uni’s can’t see where else you have applied.
Reply 18
Original post by Admit-One
Hi, I work in admissions so can explain the process a bit. The above is not true for the vast majority of undergraduate courses in the U.K.

A very small number of courses with limited spaces, (things like Medicine), might use a waiting list and ‘release’ spaces when their offers are declined.

However this is not the case for most courses. Instead, up until the guaranteed consideration deadline, Uni’s will make offers to everyone that meets their internal criteria. They will make many more offers than they have places available, as they know that many offers will either be declined, or the applicant will not meet the conditions and will not be accepted by the Uni.

In the case of the OP, if they haven’t heard anything, then they are still being considered. The delay is not cause for concern by itself, as uni’s have until April to make a decision.

Hi, thank you for your intervention! However, all of the courses have to have an exact number of places, that is respected more or less depending on the course. For example, you said medicine has only 700 places and, implictily, selectes only 700 future students, but this doesn't mean that other courses simply hand offers here and there without keeping track of their number. They surely have an aproximate number of places they established prior to the start of the academical year. I cannot be wrong with this, it is definetly correct. For courses such as law (random example) they might have 600 places, but they don't bother accepting 620 or 580, thus proving my theory even if it is not as applicable for the majority of courses as it is for medicine.
Hi, thank you for your intervention! However, all of the courses have to have an exact number of places, that is respected more or less depending on the course. For example, you said medicine has only 700 places and, implictily, selectes only 700 future students, but this doesn't mean that other courses simply hand offers here and there without keeping track of their number. They surely have an aproximate number of places they established prior to the start of the academical year. I cannot be wrong with this, it is definetly correct. For courses such as law (random example) they might have 600 places, but they don't bother accepting 620 or 580, thus proving my theory even if it is not as applicable for the majority of courses as it is for medicine.

No, this is incorrect. You are conflating offers made with enrolled students on a course.

Uni's have an target number of enrolled students. So if they had a target of approx 200 enrolled students then they might want to make circa 400-600 offers. They'll then tweak their internal criteria to hit this number, e.g. make offers to everyone predicted one grade under the typical offer, or everyone with a certain GCSE profile.

Uni's don't stop making offers at any point for applications received prior to the 15th of Jan. They're not "filling up places" at this stage.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending