Anonymous 232
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi
I am struggling on whether to choose Aerospace or Mechanical engineering at UOB

I would love to work with aircraft and rockets but I have found out you can still be a aerospace engineer with a mechanical engineering degree.Also mechanical is much broader than Aerospace.

what if I don’t like learning about the theory behind aircraft when going into aerospace?
I’ve also heard studying aerospace at UOB is not very good
In addition when someone is studying aerospace would they be able to find work like someone studying mechanical engineering?
However I see myself as wanting to work as a aerospace engineer and designing aircraft.

Also let’s say with a mechanical engineering degree you get into aerospace would you be doing the same tasks that a aerospace engineer does or different?

I am so stuck and I really need help to decide which course is the right decision
Please help
Last edited by Anonymous 232; 1 year ago
trapking
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous 232)
Hi
I am struggling on whether to choose Aerospace or Mechanical engineering at UOB

I would love to work with aircraft and rockets but I have found out you can still be a aerospace engineer with a mechanical engineering degree.Also mechanical is much broader than Aerospace.

what if I don’t like learning about the theory behind aircraft when going into aerospace?
I’ve also heard studying aerospace at UOB is not very good and it is not accredited
In addition when someone is studying aerospace would they be able to find work like someone studying mechanical engineering?

However I see myself as wanting to work as a aerospace engineer and designing aircraft.

Also let’s say with a mechanical engineering degree you get into aerospace would you be doing the same tasks that a aerospace engineer does or different?

I am so stuck and I really need help to decide which course is the right decision
Please help
Very simple.

Do a BEng in Mechanical Engineering and pick modules/projects that cater to aerospace to give you a little taste. If you find you are really passionate about aerospace then you can do an MSc in Aerospace Engineering afterwards.

You can work in Aerospace with a Mechanical engineering degree due to its broad nature (and a whole host of other industries). With Aerospace it can get a little bit tricky if you want to change industries altogether (not impossible by any means but it will be a bit of a hassle).

With regards to your question about doing the same job as an aerospace engineer as a mechanical engineer, of course you can. There are plenty of mechanicals working in aerospace design. A friend of mine went into a company that designs helicopters.
Last edited by trapking; 1 year ago
Anonymous 232
Rep:
?
With regards to choosing Mechanical engineering Bsc for university of Birmingham the modules are all core so there are no optional modules that you can choose from.

Thank you for helping me. I appreciate it 😄
Anonymous 232
Rep:
?
(Original post by trapking)
Very simple.

Do a BEng in Mechanical Engineering and pick modules/projects that cater to aerospace to give you a little taste. If you find you are really passionate about aerospace then you can do an MSc in Aerospace Engineering afterwards.

You can work in Aerospace with a Mechanical engineering degree due to its broad nature (and a whole host of other industries). With Aerospace it can get a little bit tricky if you want to change industries altogether (not impossible by any means but it will be a bit of a hassle).

With regards to your question about doing the same job as an aerospace engineer as a mechanical engineer, of course you can. There are plenty of mechanicals working in aerospace design. A friend of mine went into a company that designs
Even if choosing aerospace engineering would you say it still has good job prospects like can you work on cars or do what exactly a mechanical engineer does?
Last edited by Anonymous 232; 1 year ago
trapking
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Even if choosing aerospace engineering would you say it still has good job prospects like can you work on cars or do what exactly a mechanical engineer does?
Its tricky and it gets harder to enter some other industries because you'll be competing with people that have degrees more aligned to those jobs hence I would say avoid those problems early on and just do Mech Eng BEng. If you then decide you still love aerospace and want to go deeper then you can go study an MSc in Aerospace and have the best of both worlds.
trapking
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
With regards to choosing Mechanical engineering Bsc for university of Birmingham the modules are all core so there are no optional modules that you can choose from.

Thank you for helping me. I appreciate it 😄
Yes but you will still learn systems engineering and fluid dynamics which are core topics in aerospace engineering.

The only difference is you won't delve into them as deeply as the aeros do. They typically have additional courses like avionics and more advanced fluid dynamics (CFD/Satellites etc.).
Anonymous 232
Rep:
?
Yes but you will still learn systems engineering and fluid dynamics which are core topics in aerospace engineering.

The only difference is you won't delve into them as deeply as the aeros do. They typically have additional courses like avionics and more advanced fluid dynamics (CFD/Satellites etc.).
How much maths is there in a mechanical engineering degree?
I like maths lol
trapking
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How much maths is there in a mechanical engineering degree?
I like maths lol
If you just want to learn hardcore maths (theoretical/abstract + pure) then engineering is probably not for you. The maths you will learn in engineering is more for use in applied physics problems.

For example you will learn about complex numbers which you will end up using in your electrical & electronic modules etc.
trapking
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I really want to work on aircraft
Would you still say go for a mechanical engineering degree even if I really want to work on aircraft?
I gave you the answer to this already.

Best of luck
Anonymous 232
Rep:
?
I gave you the answer to this already.

Best of luck
Thank you for helping!! 😁😄
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (5)
3.73%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (23)
17.16%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
17.91%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (19)
14.18%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (39)
29.1%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
17.91%

Watched Threads