is this workout plan ok to build muscle - need urgent advice!

Watch
jonjo4321
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,

I am basically a beginner to the gym and am looking to build muscle (I am quite lanky and skinny), so this is my primary goal (male). I have been doing gym inconsistently for the past 2 months but am not looking to do it a lot more seriously. I created this workout plan using mainly dumbbells because that is what I am confident using. what are your thoughts of this workout plan, is it good enough to build a lot of muscle?

Every gym session, I will choose 3 from each category, and always do both shoulder exercises (so 7/8 exercises per workout). Reps and sets - will mainly be either 3 x 8, 4 x 8. I will aim to do this 4 times per week. (Also after each workout I will do this 5 minute chest workout that I found on YT which is basically a variety of pushups).

On the next day, I will go for the next "three" exercises, one down. and so on in a cycle. E.g. day 1 may include dumbbell flat chest press, inclined chest press and dumbbells flys, then in day 2 it will include inclined chest press, chest flys and dips.

Chest:
• Dumbbell flat chest press – 3 x 8
• Dumbbell inclined chest press – 3 x 8
• Chest flys 30 degree inclined – 3 x 8
• Dips – 3 x 10
Arms:
• Tricep push downs 3 x 8
• Standard bicep curls 3 x 8
• Inclined bicep curls 3 x 8
• Skull crushers 3 x 8
• Dumbell hammer curls
• Dumbbell cross body curls
Shoulders:
• Shoulder press 3 x 8
• Lat pull downs 3 x 8

My diet is good and I monitor it a lot. i'm just not sure if these purely dumbbell based exercises are ok to build a lot of muscle. I am really motivataed and willing to put in the time.

I also think it is worth mentioning that I have had some problems recently as when I go to the gym, the dumbbells that I use are usually being used (8kg to 15kg). but because I have little variety in my exercises, I end up having to wait ages. I don't know why i'm even saying this as it seems trivial but I was wondering what people's thoughts on this are (as my gym is always really busy).

Finally, I thought it worth mentioning that I personally find the gym an intimidating place, especially the free weights area. i'm slightly scared to use the cable machines (e.g. for cable pushdowns) in fear that I wont know how to adjust the machine or the thing you pull. I also don't know which way is appropriate to do dips, do you face into or away from the bars?

Any help would be very much appreciated. thanks
BBambiS
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It will build muscle but I'm not sure if it will make you look bigger if your skinny.
You should look into bulking..

As regards to being unsure about using the equipment either look on YouTube or get one of the gyms personal trainers to show you how to use everything, you might have to pay for this but some gyms offer this service for free
Last edited by BBambiS; 1 month ago
jonjo4321
Rep:
?
(Original post by BBambiS)
It will build muscle but I'm not sure if it will make you look bigger if your skinny.
You should look into bulking..

As regards to being unsure about using the equipment either look on YouTube or get one of the gyms personal trainers to show you how to use everything, you might have to pay for this but some gyms offer this service for free
hi, thanks a lot for the help. by bulking, i assume you are referring to diet bulking? i think in terms of diet, mine is pretty good - i try to eat a gram of protein for every pound of my weight per day (assuming it's within 36 hours of a workout). I was wondering specifically if this workout regime is good enough to build muscle? could it be improved?

Also, what did you mean by you're not sure if it will make me look bigger if i'm skinny, even if it helps build muscle?

thanks a lot
BBambiS
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jonjo4321)
hi, thanks a lot for the help. by bulking, i assume you are referring to diet bulking? i think in terms of diet, mine is pretty good - i try to eat a gram of protein for every pound of my weight per day (assuming it's within 36 hours of a workout). I was wondering specifically if this workout regime is good enough to build muscle? could it be improved?

Also, what did you mean by you're not sure if it will make me look bigger if i'm skinny, even if it helps build muscle?

thanks a lot
So you might look muscular but you won't look bigger you'll just have very toned arms and abs etc...
I know this because my brother went through the same thing, he said that muscle is not built in the gym but in the kitchen, he said in order for you to start the muscle building process you need to overload your body with calories to have enough fuel for the muscle building process (he read this somewhere).. this is what I meant by bulking (eat more)

I Recommend you watch Joe Fraser on YouTube my brother said he's really good and that you should watch his most popular video 1 year transformation from skinny to muscular to understand what bulking is and how it may help you..
jonjo4321
Rep:
?
(Original post by BBambiS)
So you might look muscular but you won't look bigger you'll just have very toned arms and abs etc...
I know this because my brother went through the same thing, he said that muscle is not built in the gym but in the kitchen, he said in order for you to start the muscle building process you need to overload your body with calories to have enough fuel for the muscle building process (he read this somewhere).. this is what I meant by bulking (eat more)

I Recommend you watch Joe Fraser on YouTube my brother said he's really good and that you should watch his most popular video 1 year transformation from skinny to muscular to understand what bulking is and how it may help you..
cool thanks mate. so would you say doing that workout along with bulking/a great diet consistently would make me more muscular and "look bigger"?
BBambiS
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
cool thanks mate. so would you say doing that workout along with bulking/a great diet consistently would make me more muscular and "look bigger"?
Yeah I'd say it's fine
AnotherRandom
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
For working out and building muscle I recommend Athlean-x on YouTube, he puts the anatomy and science behind it and is very informative.
jonjo4321
Rep:
?
omarahmedfazal hi sorry to bother you, I was wondering if you could possibly help with this? thank you
Dax_Swagg3r
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You should look into a proper program with a progression and failure protocol like GZCLP.
https://saynotobroscience.com/gzclp-infographic/
Click on the free program part at the top of the link.
jonjo4321
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dax_Swagg3r)
You should look into a proper program with a progression and failure protocol like GZCLP.
https://saynotobroscience.com/gzclp-infographic/
Click on the free program part at the top of the link.
hi thanks so much for the help. Do you have any other programmes that you can recommend? that programme seems so complicated and i dont get how it is that effective with just three exercises per workout.
Dax_Swagg3r
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hi thanks so much for the help. Do you have any other programmes that you can recommend? that programme seems so complicated and i dont get how it is that effective with just three exercises per workout.
If you click on the free program link at the top it explains everything also there are 3 TYPES (T1, T2, T3) of exercises per workout not just 3 exercises per workout.
jonjo4321
Rep:
?
If you click on the free program link at the top it explains everything also there are 3 TYPES (T1, T2, T3) of exercises per workout not just 3 exercises per workout.
Ah ok thanks. I’m also not sure about whether doing a full body workout 4 times a week or doing push pull legs split.
Dax_Swagg3r
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ah ok thanks. I’m also not sure about whether doing a full body workout 4 times a week or doing push pull legs split.
U can't do PPL effectively going 4 days a week.
jonjo4321
Rep:
?
U can't do PPL effectively going 4 days a week.
Sorry I meant 5 days with training legs once a week, so push pull legs push pull rest rest.
Dax_Swagg3r
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sorry I meant 5 days with training legs once a week, so push pull legs push pull rest rest.
Why would you neglect legs?
jonjo4321
Rep:
?
Why would you neglect legs?
i'm not neglecting them, i'm still training them once a week. it's just i can't train at the weekends to i can't do 6 days a week, and my main focus is upper body.
Dax_Swagg3r
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i'm not neglecting them, i'm still training them once a week. it's just i can't train at the weekends to i can't do 6 days a week, and my main focus is upper body.
Yes but ur training your upper body 4 times a week while legs once a week, use another program. Trust me everyone's focus is upper body but you don't want to look like a dorito.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (276)
15.52%
Uncertainty around my education (278)
15.64%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (177)
9.96%
Isolating with family (126)
7.09%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (79)
4.44%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (149)
8.38%
Loneliness (175)
9.84%
Financial worries (72)
4.05%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (162)
9.11%
Exposure to negative news/social media (126)
7.09%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (158)
8.89%

Watched Threads