Is it good to learn a skilled trade as well as have a full time job?

Watch
Gur-jee-van
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I just wanted to know is it good to learn a skilled trade(in construction) as well as have a full-time job so you could use the skilled trade as a side job. such as have a normal full-time job and do carpentry or be an electrician as a side business.
Joe1000000
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
While it's always good to to learn new things and keep improving yourself, if you're working full time I'd say you would really struggle to run a business as a self employed electrician/plumber as well. Self employed trades succeed in a lot of areas by word of mouth, and if you're working full time you're going to struggle to have the hours you need to do any work.

Carpentry may be slightly different as you can have a workshop to construct things and there is a slightly different expectation around timescales, but someone expecting a plumber or electrician, especially for larger jobs isn't going to want someone who can only do very limited times.
Gur-jee-van
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joe1000000)
While it's always good to to learn new things and keep improving yourself, if you're working full time I'd say you would really struggle to run a business as a self employed electrician/plumber as well. Self employed trades succeed in a lot of areas by word of mouth, and if you're working full time you're going to struggle to have the hours you need to do any work.

Carpentry may be slightly different as you can have a workshop to construct things and there is a slightly different expectation around timescales, but someone expecting a plumber or electrician, especially for larger jobs isn't going to want someone who can only do very limited times.
Thank you for the advice I also wanted to ask do you think there are part-time carpentry courses that you can do while you are at college
Joe1000000
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Gur-jee-van)
Thank you for the advice I also wanted to ask do you think there are part-time carpentry courses that you can do while you are at college
That will likely depend on area. Your best chance of finding one would be looking at Adult Education courses that will typically rin in the evenings, otherwise you will probably struggle.
Gur-jee-van
Rep:
?
That will likely depend on area. Your best chance of finding one would be looking at Adult Education courses that will typically rin in the evenings, otherwise you will probably struggle.
Thank you for your reply and Do you think they would charge you if you are 16-18 even if you are in the adult classes and o you think if they do you can have a word with them and talk about the situation. Thank you
Joe1000000
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Gur-jee-van)
Thank you for your reply and Do you think they would charge you if you are 16-18 even if you are in the adult classes and o you think if they do you can have a word with them and talk about the situation. Thank you
That will depend on how funding works in your area.
Gur-jee-van
Rep:
?
That will depend on how funding works in your area.
Thanks for your help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (103)
61.68%
No (64)
38.32%

Watched Threads