harry11t5
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I am only in year 11 but I am thinking about university. I really want to go into investigative journalism. Is it worth doing a degree in journalism/communications?
fairytopia
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
in my personal opinion, i believe that it is be more beneficial to get a degree that teaches you to think like a journalist, to give you perspective and knowledge that will inform your work as a journalist - as opposed to getting a degree in how to be a journalist itself. honestly, in this day and age of the internet and all that, the journalism field is competitive. you need to stand out because frankly, anyone who knows how to write and has access to the internet and/or social media has the means to become a journalist. there is no strict qualification to work in this field; therefore, you need to make yourself stand out and acquire a particular set of skills and perspectives that will teach you about the world, not about journalism. i hope that made sense??

as to what to actually study, it obviously depends on your interests, but maybe something social sciences related like politics or sociology or history or international relations?

i'm going to uni in september, so just having gone through kinda the whole process of choosing a degree to best shape a career path, i'm only speaking for experience and from the advice i've been given, but i hope this helps!
htmr
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i think it really depends, there’s nothing inherently wrong with a journalism degree but i agree w above that it may be more beneficial to do something a little more well-rounded, or even a joint honours course?

i’m in year 13 and i applied for 3 media communications courses + one media with journalism. i think they can be really great for getting a start and meeting contacts that you may be unable to on your own. i think (and hope lol) that communications courses are probably a lot more beneficial than just journ because you’ll gain a wider skillset. also, i found that a lot of journ courses i looked at focussed a lot on broadcast journalism as opposed to written which personally put me off, so really it depends what you’re interested in

i went for something that was less academic because i don’t think i could handle a proper academic subject for another 3 years but for sure if you’re interested in more academic subjects then social sciences would probably be a good shout
harry11t5
Rep:
?
(Original post by fairytopia)
in my personal opinion, i believe that it is be more beneficial to get a degree that teaches you to think like a journalist, to give you perspective and knowledge that will inform your work as a journalist - as opposed to getting a degree in how to be a journalist itself. honestly, in this day and age of the internet and all that, the journalism field is competitive. you need to stand out because frankly, anyone who knows how to write and has access to the internet and/or social media has the means to become a journalist. there is no strict qualification to work in this field; therefore, you need to make yourself stand out and acquire a particular set of skills and perspectives that will teach you about the world, not about journalism. i hope that made sense??

as to what to actually study, it obviously depends on your interests, but maybe something social sciences related like politics or sociology or history or international relations?

i'm going to uni in september, so just having gone through kinda the whole process of choosing a degree to best shape a career path, i'm only speaking for experience and from the advice i've been given, but i hope this helps!
that's really helpful, thanks
harry11t5
Rep:
?
(Original post by htmr)
i think it really depends, there’s nothing inherently wrong with a journalism degree but i agree w above that it may be more beneficial to do something a little more well-rounded, or even a joint honours course?

i’m in year 13 and i applied for 3 media communications courses + one media with journalism. i think they can be really great for getting a start and meeting contacts that you may be unable to on your own. i think (and hope lol) that communications courses are probably a lot more beneficial than just journ because you’ll gain a wider skillset. also, i found that a lot of journ courses i looked at focussed a lot on broadcast journalism as opposed to written which personally put me off, so really it depends what you’re interested in

i went for something that was less academic because i don’t think i could handle a proper academic subject for another 3 years but for sure if you’re interested in more academic subjects then social sciences would probably be a good shout
thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (129)
15.34%
Uncertainty around my education (136)
16.17%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (80)
9.51%
Isolating with family (57)
6.78%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (33)
3.92%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (72)
8.56%
Loneliness (88)
10.46%
Financial worries (36)
4.28%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (75)
8.92%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
6.66%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (79)
9.39%

Watched Threads