Is it weird that I have no friends at uni?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Feels so weird to talk about this but I'm in my second year of university and I literally have no friends. I speak to people from lectures/classes but they all have their own friendship groups. II've always had quite a few friends but everyone here is soo different and I don't want to be a beg lol... like I'm okay most of the time on my own but sometimes I feel like I'm wasting away my life and I'm not getting the full 'uni experience' idk. All i do is watch netflix or work, I think I've gone out once in the past two years!! People around me are literally having the time of their lives and I'm just in my room all the time. I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't have any friends in my course, its not even that I mind being on my own but i think living in a different city without any of my friends/family is hard enough and Its made me so depressed
Is anyone in a similar situation i need some hope people lmao, struggling outheree
MrBiggs01010101
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Feels so weird to talk about this but I'm in my second year of university and I literally have no friends. I speak to people from lectures/classes but they all have their own friendship groups. II've always had quite a few friends but everyone here is soo different and I don't want to be a beg lol... like I'm okay most of the time on my own but sometimes I feel like I'm wasting away my life and I'm not getting the full 'uni experience' idk. All i do is watch netflix or work, I think I've gone out once in the past two years!! People around me are literally having the time of their lives and I'm just in my room all the time. I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't have any friends in my course, its not even that I mind being on my own but i think living in a different city without any of my friends/family is hard enough and Its made me so depressed
Is anyone in a similar situation i need some hope people lmao, struggling outheree
Not at all weird. It's very rare to go to university with a friend...

Everyone is in the same boat as you. As you say, other people have their friendship groups - maybe try and find your way into one, of course without begging. There are plenty of opportunities to make friends at university - most universities have social events every day. Maybe you could join a society or club to do with a hobby with yours, that's always a way to make friends and meet new people.

My brother got shipped off to university last year in London and he was very lonely for awhile. We recommended he join the orchestra and since then he's got his only little friendship group.

Anyway, university doesn't last forever and you won't always be alone.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by MrBiggs01010101)
Not at all weird. It's very rare to go to university with a friend...

Everyone is in the same boat as you. As you say, other people have their friendship groups - maybe try and find your way into one, of course without begging. There are plenty of opportunities to make friends at university - most universities have social events every day. Maybe you could join a society or club to do with a hobby with yours, that's always a way to make friends and meet new people.

My brother got shipped off to university last year in London and he was very lonely for awhile. We recommended he join the orchestra and since then he's got his only little friendship group.

Anyway, university doesn't last forever and you won't always be alone.
The people on my course are really reluctant to allow anyone to join their friendship groups, I mean its not like I haven't tried but I get the vibe they don't really want me there so thats not an option. I just can't wait to graduate. Only reason I haven't dropped out is cos I actually like my degree lmao

I have joined societies and clubs but I haven't had much luck
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Which uni do you go to?
MrBiggs01010101
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The people on my course are really reluctant to allow anyone to join their friendship groups, I mean its not like I haven't tried but I get the vibe they don't really want me there so thats not an option. I just can't wait to graduate. Only reason I haven't dropped out is cos I actually like my degree lmao

I have joined societies and clubs but I haven't had much luck
I don't know whether you share a dorm with anyone but if you do, that could be a simple answer.

Anyway - the sort of people who are reluctant to allow new people to join their friendship group are the kind of people you don't want to be friends with...

You probably want to meet people in reality and not online but you could give a thought into doing online activites on social platforms like reddit and whatnot. It's understandable if you don't want to do that or if it really isn't good enough though.

I'm not sure where you are at university but if it's in London, there is so much you can do...

Organise a visit back home if that's possible?

My brother used to call the family via skype of facetime every evening and would talk about his day. That really helped him too. Maybe you could try that?

Otherwise I'm lost for words here. But just be in comfort that this is only temprorary and things will 100% get better from here.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by MrBiggs01010101)
I don't know whether you share a dorm with anyone but if you do, that could be a simple answer.

Anyway - the sort of people who are reluctant to allow new people to join their friendship group are the kind of people you don't want to be friends with...

You probably want to meet people in reality and not online but you could give a thought into doing online activites on social platforms like reddit and whatnot. It's understandable if you don't want to do that or if it really isn't good enough though.

I'm not sure where you are at university but if it's in London, there is so much you can do...

Organise a visit back home if that's possible?

My brother used to call the family via skype of facetime every evening and would talk about his day. That really helped him too. Maybe you could try that?

Otherwise I'm lost for words here. But just be in comfort that this is only temprorary and things will 100% get better from here.
I live in a private hall residence and I don't really have anything in common with the people on my floor. I go to uni up north and theres not much to do here loll
Anonymous #1
Which uni do you go to?
I go to uni up north
Quiet Benin
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's over man.

Drop out or face a lonely uni period. Also very likely you may never make friends again after uni
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Quiet Benin)
It's over man.

Drop out or face a lonely uni period. Also very likely you may never make friends again after uni
lol thats very reassuring
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
It's over man.

Harsh, even if said in jest. Some folks (myself included) don't find friendship easily. Some common interest helps, especially a physical activity or sport. Really they just need to get out there to something. Team sports are good.
Quiet Benin
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Harsh, even if said in jest. Some folks (myself included) don't find friendship easily. Some common interest helps, especially a physical activity or sport. Really they just need to get out there to something. Team sports are good.
You should read my previous threads. I spent 4 years of uni ALONE. I tried everything. Right now, i'm currently living the saddest life in history. I have a job but everyone looks at me like 'ew, him'. Having no friends is sad and i'm really depressed by it
Quiet Benin
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
lol thats very reassuring
Up the game or face annihilation in the future. I am sorry if i'm this harsh but it's from experience. Now i'm currently living a sad depressing life
Anonymous #1
Up the game or face annihilation in the future. I am sorry if i'm this harsh but it's from experience. Now i'm currently living a sad depressing life
it really doesn't get better lmao? uni is a scam
Johnny Tightlips
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You have to make a bit of an effort... you won't find friends just by sitting in your room. Join societies, volunteer, go to meet-ups, placements etc. I had 0 friends in first year but made quite a few in 2nd year, all from really random places. So put yourself out there and good friends will (eventually) come
Last edited by Johnny Tightlips; 1 month ago
Anonymous #1
I'm starting placement in a few weeks though. Hopefully I'll meet some new people, dropping out is not an option for me at alll
Johnny Tightlips
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
it really doesn't get better lmao? uni is a scam
Nah don't listen to him. He's wrong. It's never ever too late to make friends.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Johnny Tightlips)
You have to make a bit of an effort... you won't find friends just by sitting in your room. Join societies, volunteer, go to meet-ups etc. I had 0 friends in first year but made quite a few in 2nd year, all from really random places. So put yourself out there and good friends will (eventually) come
I hope you're right! I'm starting placement in a few weeks, hoping to meet new people there. And I know but believe me I've tried everything else, i just haven't found anyone i click with yet
Johnny Tightlips
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I hope you're right! I'm starting placement in a few weeks, hoping to meet new people there. And I know but believe me I've tried everything else, i just haven't found anyone i click with yet
Yeah I know it's hard (believe me lol) when you're trying and results don't come. But the only way to guarantee you won't find anybody is if you give up and stop trying. At least that's how I see it. Like I said, took me about a year and a bit to find good friends at uni. People you click with are out there!
Anonymous #4
Report 1 month ago
I am in my 3rd year at university and I barely have friends as well. I get the same vibe you do from your course mates, so it’s completely natural to feel that way. I don’t go out often either, maybe once every few months. What I’m trying to highlight is that you aren’t alone in this. Many students don’t feel welcomed by others, some might feel like they are begging their way into a friendship, either way you shouldn’t feel that way. Be confident in yourself and what you bring to the table, if no one wants to befriend you then so be it. Just get used to it, at least that’s what I did. Speak to people though they might not be your “friends” you might not go out with them but still have little chats. Joining a society would really help, you might not make loads of friends but it will fill your time and get you talking to people. Who knows you might just end up making a friend. Also, don’t take the previous comment by Quiet Benin into much consideration.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Johnny Tightlips)
Yeah I know it's hard (believe me lol) when you're trying and results don't come. But the only way to guarantee you won't find anybody is if you give up and stop trying. At least that's how I see it. Like I said, took me about a year and a bit to find good friends at uni. People you click with are out there
Heres to hoping!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (229)
60.9%
No (78)
20.74%
Not sure (69)
18.35%

Watched Threads