Should I drop this subject or keep studying it?

Watch
glorydayes365
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I’m now in Year 12 taking Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics for my A levels to study to be a vet. Maths is my greatest subject out of all my other subjects, Biology will be the follow up and Chemistry is my weakest.
I think I need to mention this as well since it’s important. Before I came to UK for sixth form, I was in HK studying plus I skipped a year (I went on an exchange to Spain for a year and I stayed a year back in my country, when I came to UK they put me into Year 12 according to my age) so now with a completely new exam board and entrance examination it’s very difficult to get used to quickly and a lot to catch up.
I really like Maths because I’m good at it. Back in my old school I like Biology because the teacher was really good and made the lesson really fun so it motivated me to study biology. But for chemistry back in my old school I had a really bad teacher, didn’t learn anything, so now I’m Year 12 I’m struggling to catch up and understand everything.
I hope I’ve stated the back story clear enough, so here’s the real problem. As I’ve just said, chemistry is my weakest subject, I’m not sure should I drop this subject and take another subject (e.g. Spanish, since I can speak it quite fluently, well, it has been a while after I came back from my exchange), but then this would mean I can’t be a vet since the key subject is chemistry.
I’ve been doing loads of work experience already, all vet related, but the only thing that is setting me off is this chemistry thing...
I seriously don’t know should I just keep studying this. I tried really hard to study but just not motivated to go further...
If you could please help me and give some advice that’d be great.
username4469064
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
hey i'm from hk, studying in uk as well! i think you should try for a bit more, perhaps see your teacher for catch up work that you missed during GCSE times. just my opinion, but dropping chemistry limits your uni choices by a lot, eg. medicine, biochem, vet, etc...especially when you're fixed vet i guess.

also i don't think it's feasible to switch to another subject this late in the year, sorry...
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
do you like chemistry even though you find it difficult??
depends on your perspective really- if you really want to become a vet then perhaps stick with chemistry for the two years and see if you can get extra support in the subject if you're finding it hard. biology, spanish and math a-levels won't close many doors though.
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I think you should do some research and look at the unis you might consider going and look at their entry requirements. This will give you a good idea if you want to. However, you also have to consider that your school might not even let you because you are so far in the terms unless you repeat a year or stay back for yr 14. Is Spanish your native language?
zaythereveluv
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
personally, I would stick to chemistry because the course that you want to study is chem-related. try watching some YouTubers (i.e. UnJaded Jade makes me feel better) to help motivate you - I'm also studying chemistry and I absolutely hate it at times but by watching others express their feelings on their a-levels, it may help to encourage you.
hope this helped and good luck!
m2b
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I defo wouldn’t be switching subjects this late in the year; stick with chemistry if you want to be a vet. You’ll thank yourself later - enough motivation will get you to a desired end goal, as others have suggested look at youtubers, research online for extra revision sources that could help you - ask teachers for extra support and perhaps older peers that have done the subject and you know for their tips. You can do this, don’t give up
glorydayes365
Rep:
?
(Original post by roadtollb)
hey i'm from hk, studying in uk as well! i think you should try for a bit more, perhaps see your teacher for catch up work that you missed during GCSE times. just my opinion, but dropping chemistry limits your uni choices by a lot, eg. medicine, biochem, vet, etc...especially when you're fixed vet i guess.

also i don't think it's feasible to switch to another subject this late in the year, sorry...
What a small world! I mean loads of hongkongers come to UK or anywhere overseas to study for uni.
I have discussed with my chemistry teacher about chemistry is not my greatest strength and of course she said she’d do one on one lessons with me, but since she’s human, well a busy teacher, she has her own job to do as well such as attending meetings, so most of the time our 1:1 lesson would be cancelled. So yea that wasn’t that great, I kinda stopped relying on her too much to help me and went to find other ways to help myself.
Right now I’m trying to self study a lot more in this by watching Utube videos of others teaching and ask my classmates for help as well.
Just stress really... I have my second progress week (exam) next week so I’m worried what I’ve done (all those studying) would be a waste if I get a bad score and worrying as well.
Anyway, thanks for your advice and opinion.
glorydayes365
Rep:
?
(Original post by entertainmyfaith)
do you like chemistry even though you find it difficult??
depends on your perspective really- if you really want to become a vet then perhaps stick with chemistry for the two years and see if you can get extra support in the subject if you're finding it hard. biology, spanish and math a-levels won't close many doors though.
I tend to like a subject when I’m confident in learning it and also understanding it. So to answer your question, yes, I do like chemistry sometimes when I understand certain topics.
I’ve tried finding my chem teacher for support but she wasn’t much help since we were suppose to have 1:1 lessons but most of them she’d cancel it because she has meetings, which I do understand but gutted.
I’ve been watching utube videos so I can learn from there and also ask some of my classmates for help.
I do really want to become a vet but now I’m doubting because, again, of the chemistry problem.
glorydayes365
Rep:
?
(Original post by PetitePanda)
I think you should do some research and look at the unis you might consider going and look at their entry requirements. This will give you a good idea if you want to. However, you also have to consider that your school might not even let you because you are so far in the terms unless you repeat a year or stay back for yr 14. Is Spanish your native language?
For vet schools most of them either said chemistry only, rarely said biology, and sometimes said both biology and chemistry are required. And most of them said A*AA as the highest and AAB as the lowest (for good unis). I’m seriously gonna stress a lot during this a level period...
Spanish is not my native language, but I am kind of in between gcse and a level, meaning I’m ahead of everyone in Spanish gcse but vice versa for Spanish a level.
glorydayes365
Rep:
?
(Original post by zaythereveluv)
personally, I would stick to chemistry because the course that you want to study is chem-related. try watching some YouTubers (i.e. UnJaded Jade makes me feel better) to help motivate you - I'm also studying chemistry and I absolutely hate it at times but by watching others express their feelings on their a-levels, it may help to encourage you.
hope this helped and good luck!
Oh yea! Unjaded Jade is really good! I should really watch her utube vids more now since I’m struggling haha. XD
Ikr! Chemistry is such a pain in the butt, but after reading all these comments I suppose I should get my motivations back up and keep on trying my best...
And thank you, I hope you’re coping well with chem as well
glorydayes365
Rep:
?
(Original post by m2b)
I defo wouldn’t be switching subjects this late in the year; stick with chemistry if you want to be a vet. You’ll thank yourself later - enough motivation will get you to a desired end goal, as others have suggested look at youtubers, research online for extra revision sources that could help you - ask teachers for extra support and perhaps older peers that have done the subject and you know for their tips. You can do this, don’t give up
Thank you so much for the advice!
I’ll try my best. Sometimes when I’m at my worst I worry a lot about these sorts of things... but anyway, I’ll keep trying, hope I’ll be fine.
Thanks again
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by glorydayes365)
For vet schools most of them either said chemistry only, rarely said biology, and sometimes said both biology and chemistry are required. And most of them said A*AA as the highest and AAB as the lowest (for good unis). I’m seriously gonna stress a lot during this a level period...
Spanish is not my native language, but I am kind of in between gcse and a level, meaning I’m ahead of everyone in Spanish gcse but vice versa for Spanish a level.
Then I suggest finding motivation with chemistry. Maybe ask your teacher for further help like afterschool help for you to understand and maybe that will make it more bearable for you. Spanish Alevel is hard as well but i think you should try to getting your interest in chemistry back because if you want to do vet med, you must be interested in the chemistry related content so it means you dont hate it with a passion. However, if you just hate chemistry with a passion, maybe vet med isnt for you and you could look at other degrees to study in uni but that might not be the case. Good luck tho
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I tend to like a subject when I’m confident in learning it and also understanding it. So to answer your question, yes, I do like chemistry sometimes when I understand certain topics.
I’ve tried finding my chem teacher for support but she wasn’t much help since we were suppose to have 1:1 lessons but most of them she’d cancel it because she has meetings, which I do understand but gutted.
I’ve been watching utube videos so I can learn from there and also ask some of my classmates for help.
I do really want to become a vet but now I’m doubting because, again, of the chemistry problem.
can't imagine how difficult chemistry is :sadnod:
that's a shame, do you think you could go to any other teachers for help??
it's good you've been proactive though in trying to understand the subject, maybe it's worth sticking with the subject for the two years and be prepared to put a lot of work in- i know chem is a notoriously difficult subject especially as you already have vet work experience too!! but it's your choice at the end of the day. if you have any subject advisors or a head of year you can talk to they may be able to offer their own opinion.
no worries and good luck
hannahk01
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Keep working! I’m sure you’re doing better than you think you are. Identify your weak spots and revise them the most until they have caught up to the rest. It might also be worth looking at entry schemes to universities as if you pass the scheme you’ll get reduced offers and honesty it takes quite a bit of pressure off. You’ll have to be careful though cause not all entry schemes reduces their offers for medicine. You can do this! Don’t give up!
glorydayes365
Rep:
?
(Original post by hannahk01)
Keep working! I’m sure you’re doing better than you think you are. Identify your weak spots and revise them the most until they have caught up to the rest. It might also be worth looking at entry schemes to universities as if you pass the scheme you’ll get reduced offers and honesty it takes quite a bit of pressure off. You’ll have to be careful though cause not all entry schemes reduces their offers for medicine. You can do this! Don’t give up!
Oh I haven’t thought about this entry schemes to uni. Could you please give me more information on that when you can? (e.g. websites/ links). Thanks!
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Oh I haven’t thought about this entry schemes to uni. Could you please give me more information on that when you can? (e.g. websites/ links). Thanks!
Sorry to intrude but Access to Leeds, Acess to Birghimham, Sutton Trust summer school for Durham (Grade reduction ends March 3), Newcastle Partners, Sunderland first choice, Northumbria NU entry, York Access Scheme, Manchester distance access scheme Are there any unis you want to apply for?
glorydayes365
Rep:
?
(Original post by PetitePanda)
Sorry to intrude but Access to Leeds, Acess to Birghimham, Sutton Trust summer school for Durham (Grade reduction ends March 3), Newcastle Partners, Sunderland first choice, Northumbria NU entry, York Access Scheme, Manchester distance access scheme Are there any unis you want to apply for?
I’m thinking of:
University of Edinburgh
University of Glasgow
University of Surrey
Royal Veterinary College
University of Cambridge
University of Liverpool
University of Nottingham
University of Bristol
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I’m thinking of:
University of Edinburgh
University of Glasgow
University of Surrey
Royal Veterinary College
University of Cambridge
University of Liverpool
University of Nottingham
University of Bristol
In2Surrey; Sutton trust for RVC so you'll be automatically eligible for their gateway year but you can still apply if you don't get in Sutton trust; Sutton trust for Cambridge - you won't get a reduced offer but you might be eligible for their adjustment process; Sutton trust for Nottingham - you can get a grade reduction and extra flags for their contextual offers but you can still get this if you apply for any other Sutton trust; Sutton trust for bristol - if you meet minimum entry requirements, you get a guaranteed offer or interview and you can be eligible up to 2 grade reduction, Access to bristol, Insight to bristol summer school and pathways to health science
123vet
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I’m now in Year 12 taking Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics for my A levels to study to be a vet. Maths is my greatest subject out of all my other subjects, Biology will be the follow up and Chemistry is my weakest.
I think I need to mention this as well since it’s important. Before I came to UK for sixth form, I was in HK studying plus I skipped a year (I went on an exchange to Spain for a year and I stayed a year back in my country, when I came to UK they put me into Year 12 according to my age) so now with a completely new exam board and entrance examination it’s very difficult to get used to quickly and a lot to catch up.
I really like Maths because I’m good at it. Back in my old school I like Biology because the teacher was really good and made the lesson really fun so it motivated me to study biology. But for chemistry back in my old school I had a really bad teacher, didn’t learn anything, so now I’m Year 12 I’m struggling to catch up and understand everything.
I hope I’ve stated the back story clear enough, so here’s the real problem. As I’ve just said, chemistry is my weakest subject, I’m not sure should I drop this subject and take another subject (e.g. Spanish, since I can speak it quite fluently, well, it has been a while after I came back from my exchange), but then this would mean I can’t be a vet since the key subject is chemistry.
I’ve been doing loads of work experience already, all vet related, but the only thing that is setting me off is this chemistry thing...
I seriously don’t know should I just keep studying this. I tried really hard to study but just not motivated to go further...
If you could please help me and give some advice that’d be great.
Hi for most (if not all) UK vet schools Chemistry is a requirement. If you want to be a vet, I'm afraid you'll have to stick with it.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm currently a first year vet student and I wasn't brilliant at Chemistry A Level either. I felt like I was on the back foot the whole time, couldn't seem to catch up or get it to make sense.

But I worked my backside off, because I knew I had to have it in order to get into vet school! I organised extra sessions with my teachers (even those who weren't my favourite ), kept reviewing content and finding new ways to learn, and did as many past papers as I could get my hands on so that when I got into the exam, I could "see through" the question and work out what they were really asking me, instead of just getting confused and thinking I couldn't answer it.

So the overall message from me is if veterinary is really for you (sounds like it is because you've done lots of work experience and still think so) then don't be put off by Chemistry! Keep battling through

Some people have mentioned that veterinary medicine is a chemistry-related - it's true that you do need bits of chemistry in the degree, but in all honesty, not masses, and the chemistry I have had to do I have so far found far more interesting and doable than A Level.

Hope this helps - you're welcome to message me with any vet-related questions. All the best xx
glorydayes365
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by 123vet)
Hi for most (if not all) UK vet schools Chemistry is a requirement. If you want to be a vet, I'm afraid you'll have to stick with it.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm currently a first year vet student and I wasn't brilliant at Chemistry A Level either. I felt like I was on the back foot the whole time, couldn't seem to catch up or get it to make sense.

But I worked my backside off, because I knew I had to have it in order to get into vet school! I organised extra sessions with my teachers (even those who weren't my favourite ), kept reviewing content and finding new ways to learn, and did as many past papers as I could get my hands on so that when I got into the exam, I could "see through" the question and work out what they were really asking me, instead of just getting confused and thinking I couldn't answer it.

So the overall message from me is if veterinary is really for you (sounds like it is because you've done lots of work experience and still think so) then don't be put off by Chemistry! Keep battling through

Some people have mentioned that veterinary medicine is a chemistry-related - it's true that you do need bits of chemistry in the degree, but in all honesty, not masses, and the chemistry I have had to do I have so far found far more interesting and doable than A Level.

Hope this helps - you're welcome to message me with any vet-related questions. All the best xx
Thank you for this... I was looking at all the advices and comments that everyone gave me so that I can keep on motivating myself. As just now I had another breaking point... Just last month I finally got my teacher to give me weekly lessons but again she cancelled it as she had a meeting. And now with this corona virus it’s even more difficult (somehow) to find my teacher for help as she just takes forever to reply to my emails and I’ve asked her to scan the notes to me that I’ve made (since there wasn’t much time left before Boris announced that schools have to be closed to give me my notes back) but guess what, she still hasn’t sent me the notes. This teacher is seriously ridiculous in taking responsibility as a teacher in helping her student finding motivation in chemistry (I thought teachers were suppose to motivate you but surely this teacher is not helping me with that). I think that’s why I was at my breaking point again. Still, I’ll try my very best, even if I just get a C, I will know that I’ve done my best.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (269)
56.39%
I don't have everything I need (208)
43.61%

Watched Threads