What’s your opinion? Am i in the wrong?

Watch
xmelanieee
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I live with my single mum and siblings and when it comes to our safety, (I wouldn’t say she’s overprotective but that’s just my opinion), i never think of asking her to go many places because I know she’ll talk about how dangerous the world is and anything can happen etc. She honestly means so well and I love her so much for that but I’m 17, I want to do things.

I’m not someone who goes out a lot cos I’m quite lazy! But there are a few times where I’ve wanted to go somewhere and I don’t even bother asking or going cos I know it won’t happen.

My friends got tickets for a concert in London and I did tell one of them that I’m not 100% sure that I’ll go but they got them anyway for me and my brother. I told my mum about it a few days later and she didn’t get mad, she was just a bit disappointed that I didn’t tell her before (I didn’t know the tickets were on sale on the day and she was at work so couldn’t really tell her)

She said she’ll think about it but should I just tell my friends that I can’t go and my reason why? Because I know she doesn’t want us to go. Was I in the wrong for not telling her 1st? (I did mention it to her but I said I wasn’t interested). What’s your opinion?

The concert is in December
BBambiS
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Bless your mum, but your 17 now so I wouldn't feel bad for not telling her because you did warn your friends that you might not be able to go before hand so its not like you were planning anything behind her back..

I would go to the concert and just try and convince your mum to let you go because I mean she has to let you do your own thing one day..
RtheBotanist
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well if she worries so much about that type of thing, not being kept in the know may have been somewhat irritating. However, at 17 you should be able to be pretty independent, and parents ought to recognise that. I say go for it and go to the concert, and just tell your mum arrangement details as you find them out, which should make her feel more comfortable.
Larsa8N9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello... it think not, you told them before you aren’t sure if you would go or not, so it’s not a big deal. Plus to be honest ,you aren’t that young either , you are almost an adult and have the right to semitones choose for yourself . I know your mom protects you but you also should have a little freedoms , maybe have a little conversation with her about this? And nicely discuss .
xmelanieee
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by BBambiS)
Bless your mum, but your 17 now so I wouldn't feel bad for not telling her because you did warn your friends that you might not be able to go before hand so its not like you were planning anything behind her back..

I would go to the concert and just try and convince your mum to let you go because I mean she has to let you do your own thing one day..
Yeah that’s very true but the thing is, she’s let me go to things that would be beneficial for myself so I don’t think she’s stopping from doing everything on my own, it’s just that going to a concert isn’t going to do me any good in future if you get me! But thank you so much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (231)
60.95%
No (79)
20.84%
Not sure (69)
18.21%

Watched Threads