The Student Room Group

Exam based degrees vs course work based???

Becoming a lawyer, are exam based degrees more looked upon than course work?
I dont think they mind as long as you can get a first/ 2:1 in it. They both are difficult in their own way; it's just the student's preferences
Reply 2
Original post by Patrick_YT

I think the university reputation matters - traditional universities tend to be more exam based.
Original post by Patrick_YT

What sort of lawyer? The qualification pathways are different for solicitors and barristers
Reply 4
no. employers don't ask you how many exams or essays you've written throughout your degree. i mean it's possible that some employers care if you've taken certain subjects because it demonstrates an obvious interest in that subject ('why you applying for a commercial law firm when you haven't studied anything remotely commercial' ), but even then that might not always be the case. i know my family law lecturer and past family law lawyer admitted that taking family law wasn't a must to be hired at her firm.

btw moved your thread to the Legal career forum.
Reply 5
Original post by Joleee
no. employers don't ask you how many exams or essays you've written throughout your degree. i mean it's possible that some employers care if you've taken certain subjects because it demonstrates an obvious interest in that subject ('why you applying for a commercial law firm when you haven't studied anything remotely commercial' ), but even then that might not always be the case. i know my family law lecturer and past family law lawyer admitted that taking family law wasn't a must to be hired at her firm.

btw moved your thread to the Legal career forum.

I don't think it's absolute as to whether employers do or do not look into whether you've done exams or coursework. I know for my Slaughter and May interview, I was asked about particular modules and I discussed how coursework based examination formats were not good for me personally.
Reply 6
Original post by Varis
I don't think it's absolute as to whether employers do or do not look into whether you've done exams or coursework. I know for my Slaughter and May interview, I was asked about particular modules and I discussed how coursework based examination formats were not good for me personally.

what J Papi said :yy:

one of my recent employers asked me about why i scored XYZ and i said i don't do well in examinations because not enough time (which is true). they honestly laughed like they knew what i was talking about. but employers don't care if you did more exams or essays; they care about your overall CV. why are you qualified to work here(?). what do you know about the current law(?).

just tellem what will make you shine and don't disclose irrelevant information.

Quick Reply

Latest