Bartekboi
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi I've recently recieved offers from Kings Collage and Oxford brookes for Physio BSc. Brookes is ranked no. 9 for my course and Kings no. 25ish. Obviously Kings is Russel Group so my family would prefer me to go to Kings as employers prefer R.G. Unis, but i feel how high the course is ranked is more important. Any ideas on what would be the better option?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Bartekboi)
Hi I've recently recieved offers from Kings Collage and Oxford brookes for Physio BSc. Brookes is ranked no. 9 for my course and Kings no. 25ish. Obviously Kings is Russel Group so my family would prefer me to go to Kings as employers prefer R.G. Unis, but i feel how high the course is ranked is more important. Any ideas on what would be the better option?
Have a look at the individual course information on the discover uni website. That is more detailed than the stuff in the league tables. You can see exactly which questions in the nss Oxford brookes and kings each do well/badly in.

Have you visited each university? Living in London will give you a very different (often worse) student experience.

For physio your employers are the NHS. They’ll know which universities are good for physio and won’t care about whether they’re in the Russell group or not (look at discover uni again to compare the employment prospects - particularly the proportion unemployed or employment in non professional jobs. The salary data on discover uni will be misleading as its not just based on physio graduates)
NowAndThen
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Kings. As a university it is already more respected. And, I will bet on their rankings rising with time. My biased opinion.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by NowAndThen)
Kings. As a university it is already more respected. And, I will bet on their rankings rising with time. My biased opinion.
For physio jobs Oxford brookes is as respected as kings if not more so.
Bartekboi
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Your right oxford is definately better to live in in general, thats a good point you make about NHS as its not like there is a high no. Of physio out there.

Really? Brookes As respected as kings?

And NSS? First I heard of it but it looks promising.

Thanks guys
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Your right oxford is definately better to live in in general, thats a good point you make about NHS as its not like there is a high no. Of physio out there.

Really? Brookes As respected as kings?

And NSS? First I heard of it but it looks promising.

Thanks guys
Have a look at https://discoveruni.gov.uk/course-de...SPT/Full-time/ (KCL) and https://discoveruni.gov.uk/course-de...-PZ/Full-time/ (Oxford Brookes)

Only 4 in 10 KCL students agree that marking criteria are made clear in advance (8/10 for Brookes)
3 in 10 KCL students agree that the course is well organised (3/4 for Brookes)
5% of KCL graduates are unemployed after 6 months (0% at Brookes)
10% of KCL grads in work are in non professional jobs (0% at Brookes)

If KCL is "more respected" by employers then you wouldn't expect to see brookes students doing better at getting professional jobs after graduating.
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Rankings are NOT important, employers do not care where the Guardian put your uni any given year.

Make your own list of criteria for what is a good uni and judge the unis (independantly of the league tables). But academically speakings Kings is in a different league to Brookes
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I agree with PQ on this - the NHS will not care where you did your course as long as it is accredited by the relevant professional body so it comes down to other factors such as which city you would prefer to be based in for the next 3 years
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (249)
15.66%
Uncertainty around my education (251)
15.79%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (158)
9.94%
Isolating with family (111)
6.98%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (65)
4.09%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (135)
8.49%
Loneliness (155)
9.75%
Financial worries (62)
3.9%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (147)
9.25%
Exposure to negative news/social media (116)
7.3%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (141)
8.87%

Watched Threads