bbgun211
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi everyone, due to unforeseen circumstances I have missed the January 15th ucas deadline for applying to unis and am only now applying February 25. I want to study economics and my first choice would be Newcastle university. I am retaking 2 a levels and am wondering what the deal would be when it comes to receiving an offer. I saw online that I would get a reply up to June 30th but i'm worried that I might end up sitting my a levels and not get any offers because of this deadline and something about clearing doesn't fill me with the most hope. I guess i'm mostly asking wether I should be worried about getting an offer or not concidering Newcastle won't be as competitive as other top unis such as st andrews etc.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by bbgun211)
Hi everyone, due to unforeseen circumstances I have missed the January 15th ucas deadline for applying to unis and am only now applying February 25. I want to study economics and my first choice would be Newcastle university. I am retaking 2 a levels and am wondering what the deal would be when it comes to receiving an offer. I saw online that I would get a reply up to June 30th but i'm worried that I might end up sitting my a levels and not get any offers because of this deadline and something about clearing doesn't fill me with the most hope. I guess i'm mostly asking wether I should be worried about getting an offer or not concidering Newcastle won't be as competitive as other top unis such as st andrews etc.
Missing the 15th Jan deadline mean you wont be considered on an equal footing as those who made the deadline.
They fill places up first from those pre deadline and will then consider you if they arent full.
Ring admissions and or loook at the website. If they are still taking applications I wouldnt worry. Only they can tell you how things are.
Journeyiris
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey,
Do still apply to your chosen universities, because even if there is little chance- it's still worth it. I think for now, the best advice I can give you is to focus on your two A level retakes and secure the grades that the universities that you want to go to require. So for Newcastle for Economics that would be AAB overall. This is pretty achievable. Grades are more important than the offers.

1. On results day, when you get your results and you get what you want or need, then you will have plenty of options to choose from. So lets say you get two A's. You should immediately be on the phone calling up the desired uni's and ask them whether they will accept you onto the course with your grades even though you did not apply. I think this process is called Adjustment where you get better than you had thought you would get and look at better uni's to go to.This has actually happened to my friend where she didn't have any offers but she called up Uni's and eventually a russel group uni gave her a place.This is because there are always extra places and they will just maybe let you onto the course. Or you could check clearing and look at the uni's/courses that have gone into clearing. There were many top uni's in clearing last year.

2. If that doesn't work well. Your other option is to take a gap year, and apply to your desired uni's with your new grades and this will give you unconditional offers so you can just sit back and rest for the whole year.

Good luck on your retakes!! Work hard <3
bbgun211
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Journeyiris)
Hey,
Do still apply to your chosen universities, because even if there is little chance- it's still worth it. I think for now, the best advice I can give you is to focus on your two A level retakes and secure the grades that the universities that you want to go to require. So for Newcastle for Economics that would be AAB overall. This is pretty achievable. Grades are more important than the offers.

1. On results day, when you get your results and you get what you want or need, then you will have plenty of options to choose from. So lets say you get two A's. You should immediately be on the phone calling up the desired uni's and ask them whether they will accept you onto the course with your grades even though you did not apply. I think this process is called Adjustment where you get better than you had thought you would get and look at better uni's to go to.This has actually happened to my friend where she didn't have any offers but she called up Uni's and eventually a russel group uni gave her a place.This is because there are always extra places and they will just maybe let you onto the course. Or you could check clearing and look at the uni's/courses that have gone into clearing. There were many top uni's in clearing last year.

2. If that doesn't work well. Your other option is to take a gap year, and apply to your desired uni's with your new grades and this will give you unconditional offers so you can just sit back and rest for the whole year.

Good luck on your retakes!! Work hard <3
Thanks that was really helpful!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (144)
29.94%
No (337)
70.06%

Watched Threads