N. Auditoré
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hi all, need some helpful advice from TheStudentRoom.

So I’m studying a CTEC Applied Science Diploma (equivalent to 2 A-levels, predicted A*A equivalent) and A level sociology, predicted A*.
My CTEC (think of it as a BTEC) has exams AND coursework and managing it is so stressful especially when you have multiple assignments running at once. Some of our assignments even involve early degree level work, I just submitted a 9000 word one and have another 2000 word one due next week for example. This makes it very difficult to balance with my sociology A-level alongside my part-time job and running my business (and i need the money) so my A-level at times gets neglected. I haven’t been efficiently studying sociology because all my time is just going into maintaining my applied science grade so I’m not really understanding the later parts of Crime and Deviance and it’s not helpful that I’m also teaching myself Religion and Beliefs in Society because my school doesn’t offer it.
Does anyone have tips for revising sociology successfully or teaching yourself and any advice on balancing the mix of qualifications if anyone has experienced this? I’m quite scared of missing my Manchester offer (BB equivalent in Applied Science, A in Sociology btw) because my Applied Science is going really well but Sociology is looking like a B rn. Education and Families are good though, I really don’t struggle with the questions there just need to go over the content I’ve forgotten.
Scoobydoobiedoo
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Keep trying you best. Honestly if you need to take time off work do it education should come first. If you really need the money you can always ask your family to help or you can even ask school for some help with finances.

A-levels are hard if your revision technique isn't working too well change it to a different one e.g. flashcards, active recall or even reading your revision guide as a bed time story
N. Auditoré
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by Scoobydoobiedoo)
Keep trying you best. Honestly if you need to take time off work do it education should come first. If you really need the money you can always ask your family to help or you can even ask school for some help with finances.

A-levels are hard if your revision technique isn't working too well change it to a different one e.g. flashcards, active recall or even reading your revision guide as a bed time story
Thank you! My work place agreed to my time off
Scoobydoobiedoo
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by nathan_nacu)
Thank you! My work place agreed to my time off
Any time make the most of your time off I'm glad your work is understanding
N. Auditoré
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Update, Manchester said if i exceed my applied science offer but drop my sociology by a grade since it’s contexual they’ll still have me (so if i get AA equivalent in applied science and a B in Sociology) I’m still going to work hard but it’s kind of given me a sense of relief. My teacher also told me I’m on track to A*A* in Applied Science so i guess the hardwork is paying off
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by nathan_nacu)
Update, Manchester said if i exceed my applied science offer but drop my sociology by a grade since it’s contexual they’ll still have me (so if i get AA equivalent in applied science and a B in Sociology) I’m still going to work hard but it’s kind of given me a sense of relief. My teacher also told me I’m on track to A*A* in Applied Science so i guess the hardwork is paying off
Proud of you - you have a lot on your plate but keep going and do your best
N. Auditoré
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
Proud of you - you have a lot on your plate but keep going and do your best
Thanks mum ☺️❤️ I’ll make sure I do!

I also got asked to deliver a sociology talk to my friends so i can ‘teach them to be A* students’ love how my teachers think ik what I’m doing 😂😭 at least it’ll look nice for my LinkedIn profile when I post it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (41)
32.03%
No - I have already returned home (16)
12.5%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (27)
21.09%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (10)
7.81%
No - I live at home during term anyway (34)
26.56%

Watched Threads