The Student Room Group

UCAS Extra opens for people with no offers

For anyone who doesn't know, UCAS Extra is a system that aims to match people without offers (or with offers they no longer wish to accept) with unis that still have vacancies.

There are lots and lots of unis with vacancies for all sorts of subjects! See the link below for an explanation of how it works or post your questions here :smile:

https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/after-you-apply/types-offer/extra-choices
Can I just add that many university's shown as being in Extra wont actually have vacancies so please contact the university before applying. This happens every year.
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
Can I just add that many university's shown as being in Extra wont actually have vacancies so please contact the university before applying. This happens every year.

Contacting the unis before applying is very important (and is on the flowchart).

Unis won't be able to make anyone a definite offer without seeing their UCAS form, but they will be able to confirm that they still have vacancies and what sort of predicted grades they are looking for.
does extra let you see the courses available or only the unis?
Original post by asdfgkillmenow
does extra let you see the courses available or only the unis?

Both go into ucas course search and tick the courses with vacancies only then double check with the individual university
Original post by swanseajack1
Both go into ucas course search and tick the courses with vacancies only then double check with the individual university

idk how to access it... i wanna go thorugh extra but havent recieved an offer from bristol yet
Reply 6
Original post by asdfgkillmenow
idk how to access it... i wanna go thorugh extra but havent recieved an offer from bristol yet

Would you accept an offer from Bristol if you got one? If so, you shouldn't think about going through Extra yet because you still might get an offer from Bristol
Original post by harrysbar
Would you accept an offer from Bristol if you got one? If so, you shouldn't think about going through Extra yet because you still might get an offer from Bristol

tbh no i feel like at this point i just have decided im not gonna be happy if i go anywhere other than manchester so my two options now are take a gap year and reaply next year maybe resit or i actually do have the option of staying on at sixth form another year because i took psychology on at the start of year 13 and tried to do all of year 12 and 13 in one year so technically i am still abiding by what they say on their websites that they do not accept qualifications which you took longer than 2 years to sit, honestly that might be the best option for me, it would mean i would have to do another random As level but i could just do EPQ again cause i already have one but its on dementia, so i could do one thats on law. Wow in typing that i think that i may have decided to do that
It is fine wanting to go to Manchester just be aware there is no guarantee you will get an offer there next year and if that happens you might need a back up.
Reply 9
I’ve just applied for a course through extra was wondering if unis would reply quicker or slower to those receiver before the deadline??
Reply 10
Original post by LMM201
I’ve just applied for a course through extra was wondering if unis would reply quicker or slower to those receiver before the deadline??

Did you phone the uni first to check that they still have vacancies for your course? If so, what did they say about how long it should take?
Reply 11
Did you phone the uni first to check that they still have vacancies for your course? If so, what did they say about how long it should take?

I emailed a few days before it opened to check and they said that they were still open to applications and that it would be in extra, but they didn’t say how long it was going to take
Reply 12
Original post by LMM201
I emailed a few days before it opened to check and they said that they were still open to applications and that it would be in extra, but they didn’t say how long it was going to take

Oh right, it's good you checked. They will probably reply within 21 days because if they don't, you are free to apply to a different uni instead. Do you have the predicted grades that they are looking for?
Reply 13
Oh right, it's good you checked. They will probably reply within 21 days because if they don't, you are free to apply to a different uni instead. Do you have the predicted grades that they are looking for?

Ahh okay thank you and yeah I’ve checked and my predicted grades and other grades meet the requirements
Reply 14
Original post by LMM201
Ahh okay thank you and yeah I’ve checked and my predicted grades and other grades meet the requirements

That all sounds positive, Good Luck! :smile:
When can i apply after being rejected?
I’m pretty sure you can use UCAS extra if that happens, it basically gives you a sixth choice if I’m not mistaken
or you can go through clearing because depending on your course there’s a lot of places usually available via clearing
Reply 18
Original post by WhyamIhere26
When can i apply after being rejected?

If you have been rejected from all your choices you are eligible to use UCAS Extra. What course are you applying for? You need to search UCAS for all the unis that still have vacancies for that course and then phone their Admissions to see whether they would be likely to accept someone with your grades

Quick Reply

Latest