jessie*lou
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am a graduate medical student and interested in other medical students perspectives about the best time to become a parent. In particular mature students entering medicine at a later age. I was particularly surprised that so few students in my cohort are parents (considering the average age is late 20s) and was wondering if this is related to the competitive nature of a career in medicine.
LilA2002
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i'm not a medical student but i do want to go into biomed and med after i finish sixthform - i'm in year 12 - but like i guess my plan is to finish my degree or be near to finishing my degree when i start to settle down i guess - i wouldnt really know what to say as everyone is different but yh hope this kinda helped you .
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jessie*lou)
I am a graduate medical student and interested in other medical students perspectives about the best time to become a parent. In particular mature students entering medicine at a later age. I was particularly surprised that so few students in my cohort are parents (considering the average age is late 20s) and was wondering if this is related to the competitive nature of a career in medicine.
Average age may be late 20s for the population as a whole but for highly educated professionals in demanding jobs, not just medicine, it's probably a bit later. I did undergrad medicine and had my first child at 32, while a registrar, which seems to be a very common age/career stage to do it!
jackthelad200
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Having had difficulties conceiving with my wife, I'd suggest that if you want children, get going now.

Medical careers will always be available regardless of your age.
jzdzm
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It is surprising - we have no parents in my cohort. I guess having kids makes it more difficult to make the commitment (both time and financial) to study. I know that there are some in my cohort who are worried about this question though - realistically, everyone wants maternity pay, but if they wait til they are eligible will it be too late?

I'm in the lucky position to not feel the desire to have children (if I did, I'm at an age where it might well be too late by the time I graduate).
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think it's that people need to have relatively stable geography too. When applying to FY1, all it takes is a poor SJT and you could have to move hundreds of miles for the job. Same uncertainty when applying to ST1 posts, and kingly of again when looking at ST3. So naturally it's when you get that 4-6 years stability that people tend to settle.

NHS mat pay is pretty decent - for my CT2 level wife it was worth about £12k post-tax compared the national pay alone, so quite a lot. Possibly a consideration in some circumstances.

Equally though, you do have to consider fertility. I saw a stat that if you wanted a 90% chance of having 2 children you (the woman) need to get started at 27. One child it's 31 or 32 I think - sub-fertility is really common.

I'd probably just get on with it if that's what you want tbh.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (144)
30.13%
No (334)
69.87%

Watched Threads