The Student Room Group

Mental Health - has the pendulum swung too far the other way?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by glassalice
It doesn't mean you can't aim for better and you should accept less.
They are not just not perfect--they are shocking

Like everything in the NHS it is not one single entity providing services, it is lots of different groups each with different approaches and management.

So while one service may be **** another may be excellent. It is wrong to tar them all with the same brush.
Original post by gomgossa
Stress is very different today. It's less about fight or flight and survival- in modern times we still have the same stress response but it's instead to normal everyday things. Makes it more likely to be chronic and set off the mechanism which leads to depression. That's what I feel makes sense anyway

I don't buy it, I feel like I would have more stress in the medieval times where I could be executed for the slightest thing and I would spend my literal 12 hour day doing manual labour for a little bit of bread a day.
Hi all, I have to do some primary research and was wondering if I could get some answers to question so if you can could you please answers the following:
1. Are you aware of what schizophrenia is?(Yes/No) How do you know about it?
2. Do you think schizophrenia links to violent crimes committed?(Yes/No) Why?
3. Is there enough help for people with schizophrenia?(Yes/No)
4. Do you think that these people with this health issue are able to control their actions?(Yes/No) Why?
5. Is there enough funding for schizophrenia?(Yes/No/Not Sure) How can we make available funds?

You can either post below or private message me
Original post by Рохан
Hi all, I have to do some primary research and was wondering if I could get some answers to question so if you can could you please answers the following:
1. Are you aware of what schizophrenia is?(Yes/No) How do you know about it?
2. Do you think schizophrenia links to violent crimes committed?(Yes/No) Why?
3. Is there enough help for people with schizophrenia?(Yes/No)
4. Do you think that these people with this health issue are able to control their actions?(Yes/No) Why?
5. Is there enough funding for schizophrenia?(Yes/No/Not Sure) How can we make available funds?

You can either post below or private message me

You seem to be spamming different threads with the same thing. You even posted the same message earlier in this thread and then seem to have deleted it. Not a good impression for the person that responded.
As a minimum, create your own thread. Also, primary research based on spamming internet threads will have limited value. You must know this?
Original post by mqb2766
You seem to be spamming different threads with the same thing. You even posted the same message earlier in this thread and then seem to have deleted it. Not a good impression for the person that responded.
As a minimum, create your own thread. Also, primary research based on spamming internet threads will have limited value. You must know this?

Yh i know i just need to get this research done quickly sorry for the spam
You don't understand the term.
What you're saying is equivalent to saying "has physical health gone too far". It just doesn't make sense. Yes someone can have a bad back ache that lasts a week; that still means they have sub optimal physical health.
Even someone who isn't mentally ill in the chronic sense can experience sub optimal mental health for a temporary time causing them to underperform and they may look for ways to alleviate symptoms.
That's like saying someone taking a few days off of strenuous activities because they cramp that's lasted a few days is an indicator of blaming everything on physical health. Well, yeah it is to blame.
Reply 66
Original post by David Getling

[*]Doing drugs, or too much booze. Blame mental heath.

[*]
Well in fairness have you met anyone railing coke every night or shooting up who doesnt have some form of mental issue? Correlation may not be causation but at the same time i know rather few people who use the harder drugs as anything but an escape from something else.
Reply 67
Not too long ago most people would have been deeply ashamed to admit to mental health problems. OK, maybe this wasn't a good thing, but am I the only one who is wondering whether things have now swung too far the other way?

These days, claiming mental health issues seems to be a catch-all excuse for almost anything?

Too lazy to get out of bed in the morning. Blame mental health.

Haven't got the self discipline to apply oneself to ones studies. Blame mental health.

Doing drugs, or too much booze. Blame mental heath.

The list goes on and on. It seems that it's now become non PC to ever suggest that someone is lacking in character and moral fibre. We only have vulnerable people. And I've lost count of the number of times people on these forums seem only too ready to attribute their problems to mental health issues, rather than take any responsibility for having gotten themselves into their predicament.

Sometimes one even feels that claiming mental health issues has become a fashion accessory.

ew, so ignorant. why do you care when you don't do **** to help them, anyway?
Reply 68
Original post by AnonymousNoMore
I don't buy it, I feel like I would have more stress in the medieval times where I could be executed for the slightest thing and I would spend my literal 12 hour day doing manual labour for a little bit of bread a day.

There's an interesting ongoing debate about that. Whether people back in the day were actually a bunch of nervous wrecks or whether they just dealt with it better.
I mean the example i was listening to was relating to 'child abuse' and what constitutes it today was decidedly normal behaviour way back when. As they like to say, whacking your kid today will screw it up for life whilst but a couple of generations ago you gave you parents any lip and youd be in for a hell of a hiding.
Same point goes, one imagines, for when youd see death, murder and rape as common daily occurrences. Are we simply softer to it now, more alert to the effects or what?
Original post by Napp
[*]
Well in fairness have you met anyone railing coke every night or shooting up who doesnt have some form of mental issue? Correlation may not be causation but at the same time i know rather few people who use the harder drugs as anything but an escape from something else.

[*]Actually, many, many, years ago I had a friend who had everything going for him. He was very bright, good looking (so I'm told - I don't swing that way) and in good health. He certainly didn't appear to have any mental problems. So off he went to university and took every drug he could lay his hands on. To most decent people it would seem that he willingly brought all his problems on himself: no excuses.
Not too long ago most people would have been deeply ashamed to admit to mental health problems. OK, maybe this wasn't a good thing, but am I the only one who is wondering whether things have now swung too far the other way?

These days, claiming mental health issues seems to be a catch-all excuse for almost anything?

Too lazy to get out of bed in the morning. Blame mental health.

Haven't got the self discipline to apply oneself to ones studies. Blame mental health.

Doing drugs, or too much booze. Blame mental heath.

The list goes on and on. It seems that it's now become non PC to ever suggest that someone is lacking in character and moral fibre. We only have vulnerable people. And I've lost count of the number of times people on these forums seem only too ready to attribute their problems to mental health issues, rather than take any responsibility for having gotten themselves into their predicament.

Sometimes one even feels that claiming mental health issues has become a fashion accessory.

No one can diagnose someone from their posts on TSR. But suggesting that people who struggle to get out of bed in the morning are "lacking in character and moral fibre" is an extraordinarily bad take. As someone that's experienced their share of mental health issues I'm practically speechless.
Reply 71
[*]Actually, many, many, years ago I had a friend who had everything going for him. He was very bright, good looking (so I'm told - I don't swing that way) and in good health. He certainly didn't appear to have any mental problems. So off he went to university and took every drug he could lay his hands on. To most decent people it would seem that he willingly brought all his problems on himself: no excuses.

[*]He may well have but, im assuming he became a drug addict at this point? Then he would by definition have had mental health problems. Not so much an excuse as a statement of fact but meh, it's surprising how quickly things like drug use can spiral once you start on that slippery slope.
Original post by Napp
[*]He may well have but, im assuming he became a drug addict at this point? Then he would by definition have had mental health problems. Not so much an excuse as a statement of fact but meh, it's surprising how quickly things like drug use can spiral once you start on that slippery slope.

[*]I see your point. But it is very difficult to feel any sympathy for someone who brings something like this on them self.
Reply 73
[*]I see your point. But it is very difficult to feel any sympathy for someone who brings something like this on them self.

[*]To a point but on the same stroke its hard not to pity some of them when you see the utter ruin one poor decision has brought down upon them.
Original post by Admit-One
No one can diagnose someone from their posts on TSR. But suggesting that people who struggle to get out of bed in the morning are "lacking in character and moral fibre" is an extraordinarily bad take. As someone that's experienced their share of mental health issues I'm practically speechless.

It shows an outstanding lack of empathy and insight. And from a tutor...
Reply 75
Modern society is inherently bad for our mental health
Original post by Shimo
Modern society is inherently bad for our mental health

I struggle alot with the idea that todays society (western style society) is any worse for our mental health than past societies.
Look back through history, the many terrible periods of time that the world has gone through. Just as examples:
Discrimination
Abuse
Wars
Famine
Poverty...
In todays society these issues haven't completely gone away, though many have greatly lessened. The main difference is how these issues express them selves.
I think mainly the increase in incident of mental disorder is actually due to the widening of the severity needed to be considered 'ill'. And an increase the ability to access information about mental illness.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending