how easy is the tube for someone not used to it?

Watch
wastedcuriosity
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
hi, was thinking of visiting a friend at their uni but only problem is I have to take the tube (kings cross to paddington). i've done the tube a few times but this was with parents or a school trip - was just wondering if i'd find it hard doing it by myself or whether it's relatively easy... i'm also just worried about the busyness of london too
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by wastedcuriosity)
hi, was thinking of visiting a friend at their uni but only problem is I have to take the tube (kings cross to paddington). i've done the tube a few times but this was with parents or a school trip - was just wondering if i'd find it hard doing it by myself or whether it's relatively easy... i'm also just worried about the busyness of london too
It's a journey with no changes and, whilst it will be somewhat busy as it starts and finishes at mainline stations, you could look at the timing it to miss the early morning/teatime rush hours. Be careful to stand on the right of escalators and that when going to a platform that you are heading in the right direction, eg west or east bound; it is well-signposted.

Just make sure valuables like wallet and phone are safely tucked away in the middle of a bag to avoid pickpockets, and that large bags/wheelie cases don't get in people's way (or you don't trip over other people's).

I started using the tube on my own at age 15 during visits to family at uni. I still go regularly to London and have never had an issue. Such a great way to get around!
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
What time of day you going? Whilst it's never truly quiet avoiding rush hour can make a big difference.
Mr Wednesday
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by wastedcuriosity)
It's an easy and usually zero change trip, but note that several lines run from the same platform at Kings Cross, not all of them go to Paddington. Take the District and Circle or the Hammersmith train, not the Metropolitan as that branches off a few stops later. The Hammersmith line ends up at the "back" of Paddington, the District and Circle at the "front", these are different platforms about 5 minutes apart above ground, so almost zero difference. The tube is really well signposted, way better than any other metro / underground I have been on. As others have said, rush-hour can be a bit full on if you are not used to it, so best to avoid if you are a tube beginner. Oh, and get an Oyster card or have a bank card ready to pay contactless before you get near a barrier.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
There is a bus between the two stations if you prefer that.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
You just have to follow the colours and know if you are travelling North, East, South or West.

It couldn't be simpler.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
And please don't stand on the wrong side of the escalator.
Joleee
Report 8 months ago
yes easy. you just have to know that even if you make a mistake, you will be able to correct yourself. i am a foreigner and with heavy luggage, i missed my station. had to get off, turn around, ask a one or three commuters which tube i needed to get to XYZ and eventually found my way. on the other hand, my mum would've freaked out(!) over such an experience. what's easy or difficult is largely in your head. how confident are you that you can figure out anything?
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
It’s easy and well signposted. I’m happy to help as well as I’m quite good at that sort of thing.
username5027880
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
The tube is relatively straight forward to use. There are maps at all the stations, with all the different lines in different colours.
In the event of getting stuck, there are always staff around to ask for help.
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
And please don't stand on the wrong side of the escalator.
Even worse, don't do this:

https://youtu.be/Kns0-V_sXLQ
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Surnia)
Even worse, don't do this:

https://youtu.be/Kns0-V_sXLQ
Thank you so much for that I love Skyfall, and that's a great sequence. It also gave me a chance to fangirl on Daniel Craig again.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (717)
33.77%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (911)
42.91%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (402)
18.94%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed