The Student Room Group

Career in IB and choosing university

I'm a gap year student currently with an unconditional to Warwick for MORSE and waiting on a reply from LSE to Maths & Econ. As someone that would like to go into IB, I was wondering if there was that much difference between the two universities in terms of getting into IB as I've read that banks target six universities, of which both LSE and Warwick are included. I do prefer the course at Warwick but I just wanted to get some opinions from different people at uni or in the profession itself.
Original post by astudent1234567
I'm a gap year student currently with an unconditional to Warwick for MORSE and waiting on a reply from LSE to Maths & Econ. As someone that would like to go into IB, I was wondering if there was that much difference between the two universities in terms of getting into IB as I've read that banks target six universities, of which both LSE and Warwick are included. I do prefer the course at Warwick but I just wanted to get some opinions from different people at uni or in the profession itself.

Both are targets - LSE>Warwick, but if you do what needs to be done (ie build your CV through societies and clubs, apply early and prepare for tests), you should get interviews from either Unis.
Original post by xtrembob
Both are targets - LSE>Warwick, but if you do what needs to be done (ie build your CV through societies and clubs, apply early and prepare for tests), you should get interviews from either Unis.

I'm quite a proactive student anyways, I'll enjoy networking and getting to know people at either university and build my CV in any way I can wherever I go. I just prefer Warwick as a university and the course and was wondering whether I was at a disadvantage going there compared to LSE.
Original post by InternConsumer
LSE is the premier target in the UK. Warwick is maybe one step down in the pecking order. The MORSE course is very diverse, but from what i understand most people just end up choosing the stats modules in 2nd and 3rd year, as those tend to be much easier than the maths/econ modules. Certain banks will target LSE and wont target Warwick, such as Greenhill, Moelis, PJT and some other elite boutiques. However the overwhelming majority of banks will target both, so I would recommend choosing on course/location.

Thanks for this. Do you know if GS and JP Morgan target LSE specifically?
LSE is the premier target in the UK. Warwick is maybe one step down in the pecking order. The MORSE course is very diverse, but from what i understand most people just end up choosing the stats modules in 2nd and 3rd year, as those tend to be much easier than the maths/econ modules. Certain banks will target LSE and wont target Warwick, such as Greenhill, Moelis, PJT and some other elite boutiques. However the overwhelming majority of banks will target both, so I would recommend choosing on course/location.

GHL, Moelis and PJT recruit at Warwick FYI. Warwick is a target so any shop recruits there, maybe some super-elite shops would not interview you (ie D.E. Shaw) or some other buy-side places but in IB you get to interview anywhere.
GHL, Moelis and PJT recruit at Warwick FYI. Warwick is a target so any shop recruits there, maybe some super-elite shops would not interview you (ie D.E. Shaw) or some other buy-side places but in IB you get to interview anywhere.

Really? Looking at Linkedin, Warwick really doesn't place at PJT/GHL at all. I was under the impression that these banks used headhunters. Certain Headhunters will only look at LSE/Oxbridge, because these banks have <10 spots for summers, so will need to be very selective.
These banks have massive HR teams and have video interviews, so the uni you go to doesn't matter as much.The LSE and Warwick brand names will help you sure, but will not give you a significant advantage over anyone from a reputable top 15 uni in the UK. People from Nottingham Trent and the university of Strathclyde have springs with Goldman this year!

So going back to it, should I just chose the university and course I prefer as both are credible enough in the financial and IB world?
both are good
Really? Looking at Linkedin, Warwick really doesn't place at PJT/GHL at all. I was under the impression that these banks used headhunters. Certain Headhunters will only look at LSE/Oxbridge, because these banks have <10 spots for summers, so will need to be very selective.

GHL is using freshminds or used to and they considered warwick candidates, and PJT does their recruiting in-house and they go to Warwick/Bristol/Oxbridge + the london unis when recruiting I believe.
Reply 9
GHL is using freshminds or used to and they considered warwick candidates, and PJT does their recruiting in-house and they go to Warwick/Bristol/Oxbridge + the london unis when recruiting I believe.

I'm currently at Warwick doing econ - MORSE students are arguably more targeted - and have an offer for Greenhill as a SA. You won't be 'disadvantaged' going to Warwick, if anything you'll be more interesting and have more to talk about! Just make the most of your time at either of the two and you'll do fine; I know people that do Philosophy who have had ACs at GS for example, so i really wouldn't worry!
Original post by Dat1Guy
I'm currently at Warwick doing econ - MORSE students are arguably more targeted - and have an offer for Greenhill as a SA. You won't be 'disadvantaged' going to Warwick, if anything you'll be more interesting and have more to talk about! Just make the most of your time at either of the two and you'll do fine; I know people that do Philosophy who have had ACs at GS for example, so i really wouldn't worry!

I don't think that either course is more targeted, Econ/WBS/MORSE/PPE students place all very well but depending on a year you may see more talent in one of these courses. Also anectodally heard from a friend at Warwick that PJT goes to campus to recruit people so they are definitely targeted by them. The only ones not going are GHL and Gleacher Shacklock.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending