The Student Room Group

Low marks in topic tests a level biology

Once i have revised a topic by making flash cards and taking notes, i move onto topic tests on physics and maths tutor, and i'm finding when i do it im getting really low marks. Is this normal, and what can i do to improve this?
Are you in year 12 and what is your exam board?
Reply 2
Original post by Laboromniavincit
Are you in year 12 and what is your exam board?

Im in year 13 and im doing ocr
From my own personal experience, yes this is quite normal at the start. That is why exam question practice is important. It can be a little demotivating when you complete a set of questions and do poorly on them even though you feel like you know the content, but that is how you learn and improve. Keep practicing, keep annotating and correcting and then try some other questions. Don't be afraid to give the same questions another try too!
Reply 4
Okay, thank you. I have recently only started doing physics and maths tutor questions for A level biology, and i hope by the end of march i will have all the topics done. Is it better to make flash cards on questions done incorrect, or just retry the practice questions in a weeks time? I really appreciate the advice, thank you.
Original post by Azotic
Okay, thank you. I have recently only started doing physics and maths tutor questions for A level biology, and i hope by the end of march i will have all the topics done. Is it better to make flash cards on questions done incorrect, or just retry the practice questions in a weeks time? I really appreciate the advice, thank you.

You could make flashcards but it could be a bit of a waste of time. I personally would just go back to the paper and review it then, but flashcards could work, especially for recall sections. It's a good idea but not something I've ever really done myself. If it works for you it works!
How often do you revisit or revise old topics in Bio?
I started doing flash cards and most of them are unfinished I just can’t keep up with the content
Reply 7
Original post by Laboromniavincit
How often do you revisit or revise old topics in Bio?
I started doing flash cards and most of them are unfinished I just can’t keep up with the content

I rarely did before but now i try to review past flash cards every 3 days for at least 20-40 mins. we're still learning new content so still making new flash cards. I'm doing 1 past topic question paper and 1 hour of learning new content now.
Original post by Azotic
I rarely did before but now i try to review past flash cards every 3 days for at least 20-40 mins. we're still learning new content so still making new flash cards. I'm doing 1 past topic question paper and 1 hour of learning new content now.

How many flash cards do you do per topic
?

Quick Reply