The Student Room Group

Am I putting a lot on myself?

So I had a talk with my career advisor and we basically talked about my career path which is A level bio, chem and psychology and then medicine (I’m not still sure on it). Then she stated that based on my grades (5s and 6s) I should take a backup just in case I don’t get the required grades for A levels and the options are orthopaedics, physician associate ( which I don’t wanna do) and others as well.

She also stated that medicine is really competitive and ya know, that kinda put me off cos like what if I don’t get the grades at GCSEs? Btw im aiming for 8s and 9s but based on my “average grades”, I don’t think I can do it...I wanna have confidence in myself but no matter how hard I try...I can’t just seem to do it.

Plus hearing A levels are ‘draining’ really discouraged me because how can someone like me, an average student get A*s when I’m so dumb and can’t even get 7s at least...

Maybe I shouldn’t aim for such high grades and maybe I should reduce my pressure off my shoulders. Sigh, sometimes I wish I was academically smart like others :frown:
(edited 4 years ago)
Medicine is hard work with very high entry requirements plus it really is a vocation. If you aren't sure it is for you then this may well come across in interview/application so you probably wouldn't get a place even if you did have the grades.
Don't label yourself as dumb. You may, or may not, be a truly high flyer academically but you are not dumb if you are getting 5s and 6s with aspirations to achieve higher.
Don't choose medicine just because it fits with your A levels - only aim for it if you really, really want to be a medic.
Maybe try for some work experience or do some volunteering at a care home. You would need this for a medicine application and if you don't enjoy it that would be something you have learned.
Original post by TimotheeLaurie
So I had a talk with my career advisor and we basically talked about my career path which is A level bio, chem and psychology and then medicine (I’m not still sure on it). Then she stated that based on my grades (5s and 6s) I should take a backup just in case I don’t get the required grades for A levels and the options are orthopaedics, physician associate ( which I don’t wanna do) and others as well.

She also stated that medicine is really competitive and ya know, that kinda put me off cos like what if I don’t get the grades at GCSEs? Btw im aiming for 8s and 9s but based on my “average grades”, I don’t think I can do it...I wanna have confidence in myself but no matter how hard I try...I can’t just seem to do it.

Plus hearing A levels are ‘draining’ really discouraged me because how can someone like me, an average student get A*s when I’m so dumb and can’t even get 7s at least...

Maybe I shouldn’t aim for such high grades and maybe I should reduce my pressure off my shoulders. Sigh, sometimes I wish I was academically smart like others :frown:

You seem to have done your research. Medicine is highly competitive so you do need excellent grades at GCSE and A-Level and this can be incredibly draining. Ultimately this is preparing you for the degree and the career, which can be long hours and very stressful, so if you want to study medicine you are going to have to find a way of overcoming this.

I don't think you should be disheartened or calling yourself dumb. Just try your best and see what happens, you could surprise yourself. Put in place a good study strategy and stick with it.

I think your career advisor just wants you to have backup just in-case things go badly, the last thing anyone wants is to not have a plan b and be stressed on results day because of it. It is better to think about a second option and not need it than to not have thought about it all.

Good luck with your exams, hope it works out!
no don't say that because I used to be like you, by putting everyone else on a pedestal (I just completed 3 interviews and are currently waiting for offers). You are just as smart as everyone else going into medicine !!!!
don't listen/take seriously the career's advisor as much....it is your life not hers
its not just academics in medicine, there's thinking on the spot, problem sense, common sense
:smile:
(I can help answer any questions you may have about my medicine experience...so far)
(if you want help, google Medic Mentor)
Original post by ReadingMum
Medicine is hard work with very high entry requirements plus it really is a vocation. If you aren't sure it is for you then this may well come across in interview/application so you probably wouldn't get a place even if you did have the grades.
Don't label yourself as dumb. You may, or may not, be a truly high flyer academically but you are not dumb if you are getting 5s and 6s with aspirations to achieve higher.
Don't choose medicine just because it fits with your A levels - only aim for it if you really, really want to be a medic.
Maybe try for some work experience or do some volunteering at a care home. You would need this for a medicine application and if you don't enjoy it that would be something you have learned.

If I end up doing my a levels, should I apply for work experience?
Original post by stereotypeasian
no don't say that because I used to be like you, by putting everyone else on a pedestal (I just completed 3 interviews and are currently waiting for offers). You are just as smart as everyone else going into medicine !!!!
don't listen/take seriously the career's advisor as much....it is your life not hers
its not just academics in medicine, there's thinking on the spot, problem sense, common sense
:smile:
(I can help answer any questions you may have about my medicine experience...so far)
(if you want help, google Medic Mentor)

What grades did you get in your GCSEs and did you doubt if you could do A levels?
If I end up doing my a levels, should I apply for work experience?

I would use some of the very long holiday after GCSEs and before A levels start to try and explore the work experience. You will never have a more free time to do this.
I would use some of the very long holiday after GCSEs and before A levels start to try and explore the work experience. You will never have a more free time to do this.

I thought work experience is only allowed at A levels?
it depends on what you are doing. My daughter is aiming for vet med and has been doing work experience since she was 15.
Some places won't take unders 16s or under 18s but that has no relation to A levels as such - just their insurance. If you want to be considered for medicine you will need to demonstrate that you have worked in a caring environment and be able to talk about what you learned from it.
What grades did you get in your GCSEs and did you doubt if you could do A levels?

funny story, I live in Scotland so I do the Scottish exams by the SQA that includes national 5s which are kind of the GCSE equivalent but we still grade using letters like A,B,C,D,E, and then we do highers which are exams needed for university applications then we do advanced highers in S6 where the stuff we learn is equivalent to first year uni knowledge.
In my national 5s, I got 8As(english, maths, french, mandarin, geography, drama, physics, chemistry) and 1B (art and design)
In my highers I got 6As (english, maths, physics, chemistry, geography, mandarin). During highers I though I wasn't going to get Higher chemistry and higher english at an A, and I found the multiple choice for higher physics in the final exam to be harder than the past papers. There was also the last question of the higher geography paper which I didn't understand fully until like 2 days before the exam.
it depends on what you are doing. My daughter is aiming for vet med and has been doing work experience since she was 15.
Some places won't take unders 16s or under 18s but that has no relation to A levels as such - just their insurance. If you want to be considered for medicine you will need to demonstrate that you have worked in a caring environment and be able to talk about what you learned from it.

Do you know any websites on how to sign up for work experience and how can I do it?

Also I’m thinking of applying after my exams
Do you know any websites on how to sign up for work experience and how can I do it?

you need to look at your local area. Contact your local hospital, contact the care homes in your area, maybe see if there is St John's ambulance. This is the time for you to take the initiative - it won't just be on a website for you to pick something so you need to invest some effort in your future.
Reply 13
I thought work experience is only allowed at A levels?

If you're wanting to go into a healthcare role of any sort, whether it's medicine, physician associate studies, clinical science, etc. the more experience you can get the better you will come across on applications and at interview. Most hospitals do a standard week placement of "work experience" for A level students, but it's definitely worth emailing around a bit and making the most of any contacts you may already have. Volunteering is also a great option for experience, and hospitals are always keen for more. If you're able to get experience with different age groups that's also a bonus (i.e. helping with kids clubs and volunteering in a nursing home).

Most jobs in this field require "relevant clinical/care experience" so if you can get a head start on that now go for it - even if you change your mind further down the line about what career you want to aim for, care/clinical experience is always looks good on a CV and you can tailor what you gain from it to fit your applications!
Hi all!

I am currently a 1st year student at Birmingham university.

I found finding information about the Physician associate as a whole very difficult! I wanted real life experiences and wanted to talk to students who have been through the selection process to share there views and experiences.

I have always wanted to educate and want to share my knowledge and experiences with everyone!

The physician associate role is still very new! and the role needs new hard working and keen people help this profession grow and become more well known.

I will he holding work shops in Leicester and Birmingham for student who are applying for the course.

Theses workshops will be very informative and will include

A very formal interview- for you to get a real feel of what you may be experience in your interviews with university. You will receive detailed feedback at the end of the session.

A welcome pack- this welcome pack will hold key information about the course as a whole and additional information if you want to start pre-work before the course even starts!
There will be talks around the course it's self and what to expect
Q&A at the end.

Feel free to also bring along any personal statements you would like to get checked!

There will be a shall fee to attend the workshop this will be used towards the costs of setting up the programme.

NOT TO BE MISSED
please email me with Physician associates workshop in the subject for more information and additional questions.

Anyone who cannot attend the workshops can request a package through the post full of helpful information for what you may need for your interviews and also information about the course.

This is available to order at a small fee.

Quick Reply

Latest