geo1185
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I sat my GCSE's 8 years ago and received a D in English, I have done various courses and even got into university with it as I studied physics, plus my age allowed them to be flexible on the situation. However now I'm in a situation where I need a number of GCSE's graded A*- C, which includes Math and English and I'm thinking as an IELT is equivalent to a GCSE, it would be the best option for me to get a grade good enough to replace my GCSE. I'm a British national and I'm also concerned that employers would be skeptical of an IELT from me as English is my native language. Overall what I'm asking here is just some advice on the matter as I'm reluctant to resit a GCSE.
National Careers Service
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi there,

The IELTS exam is designed for non-native English speakers, usually to gain entry to university or for visa purposes, to help them prove they have a good enough level of English to work or study in the UK.

If you want to prove your level of English for employment purposes, you could look into doing a functional skills level 2, which is equivalent to GCSE English and is designed for adults who didn't pass GCSE but want an English qualification. These courses are run for free by local councils, so if you do an online search for adult education in your area, you should be able to find the local service that offers these.

If you need the GCSEs to get access to university, then you'd need to do the GCSE as most universities won't accept functional skills. And universities won't ask for or accept IELTS because you're British. Some universities can be flexible with their entry requirements and could give you a place on a course with lower grades if you're an otherwise good candidate, for example if you have lots of relevant experience. The best way to find this out is to call the university you're interested in directly and ask them.

Hope this helps, best of luck - Mark
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (47)
6.08%
Uncertainty around my education (89)
11.51%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (80)
10.35%
Lack of purpose or motivation (99)
12.81%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (40)
5.17%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (43)
5.56%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (85)
11%
Financial worries (51)
6.6%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (34)
4.4%
Exposure to negative news/social media (48)
6.21%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (25)
3.23%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (72)
9.31%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (60)
7.76%

Watched Threads