The Student Room Group

Thinking of a GDL at 28

I've just finished my MA (Acting; East 15) having started my BA late (Education Studies (English Studies); Durham University. Age 22) and I'm thinking about going for the GDL.

Disregarding any other worries, is 28 too old to really make a splash in the Barrister world? I'm not expecting to become a QC (would love to, though) but I'd like a truly decent career and don't want to be completely disregarded because I'd be (minimum) 30 when starting a TC.

All thoughts welcome!
Original post by AcronymOfHashtag
I've just finished my MA (Acting; East 15) having started my BA late (Education Studies (English Studies); Durham University. Age 22) and I'm thinking about going for the GDL.

Disregarding any other worries, is 28 too old to really make a splash in the Barrister world? I'm not expecting to become a QC (would love to, though) but I'd like a truly decent career and don't want to be completely disregarded because I'd be (minimum) 30 when starting a TC.

All thoughts welcome!

I did the GDL aged 28 and I went to Durham too so we have a lot in common! I think absolutely go for it, it is not too old. A lot of my classmates were older. Actually a lot of barristers chambers really value other experience outside of the law, as long as you can say convincingly why you have transferable skills. Acting is one that is very easily transferable for an advocacy focused role.

Maybe have a look into the path to becoming a barrister, you have pupillage rather than a training contract, that is for solicitors. You can keep your options open when doing the GDL though and then decide whether to become a barrister or Solicitor.

Make sure that you have a look into scholarships (from the inns of court or being sponsored for a training contract). If you can afford it, I would say absolutely go for it!

Good luck.
No, it's not too old, and there really isn't any argument to suggest that it is. The BSB pupillage statistics (click) show that for the past four years the majority of first pupils have been in the 25-34 age range, which you would be squarely in the middle of by the time you finished your GDL. Age alone isn't going to put you at any disadvantage at all.

What you do need to do, however, is ensure that you understand what this career path actually entails and the risks associated with it. The fact that you say that you want to be a barrister but then talk about the age you would be when you start your training contract suggests that you may not even know what a pupillage is, let alone how difficult it is to secure one. Your age is not a barrier here, but it is still important that you do you research and are able to critically assess your own position so that you can make a well informed and realistic decision as to whether this is a viable career path for you.
Original post by Crazy Jamie
No, it's not too old, and there really isn't any argument to suggest that it is. The BSB pupillage statistics (click) show that for the past four years the majority of first pupils have been in the 25-34 age range, which you would be squarely in the middle of by the time you finished your GDL. Age alone isn't going to put you at any disadvantage at all.

What you do need to do, however, is ensure that you understand what this career path actually entails and the risks associated with it. The fact that you say that you want to be a barrister but then talk about the age you would be when you start your training contract suggests that you may not even know what a pupillage is, let alone how difficult it is to secure one. Your age is not a barrier here, but it is still important that you do you research and are able to critically assess your own position so that you can make a well informed and realistic decision as to whether this is a viable career path for you.

Thank you for this!

I actually did mean pupillage (reading up on how difficult they are to secure what led to me posting here) but I am still researching so conflated them. Thanks for the comments though; more research is definitely needed regardless of my terminology knowledge!
Original post by crime_doesnt_pay
I did the GDL aged 28 and I went to Durham too so we have a lot in common! I think absolutely go for it, it is not too old. A lot of my classmates were older. Actually a lot of barristers chambers really value other experience outside of the law, as long as you can say convincingly why you have transferable skills. Acting is one that is very easily transferable for an advocacy focused role.

Maybe have a look into the path to becoming a barrister, you have pupillage rather than a training contract, that is for solicitors. You can keep your options open when doing the GDL though and then decide whether to become a barrister or Solicitor.

Make sure that you have a look into scholarships (from the inns of court or being sponsored for a training contract). If you can afford it, I would say absolutely go for it!

Good luck.

Hey thank you for this!

Yeah, I did mean pupillage, I just conflated it with a TC. Thanks for spotting that though as it's quite embarrassing aha.

Would you mind if I privately messaged you and asked some more questions regarding your training and so on?

Thanks a lot for the response; I really appreciate it!
Hey thank you for this!

Yeah, I did mean pupillage, I just conflated it with a TC. Thanks for spotting that though as it's quite embarrassing aha.

Would you mind if I privately messaged you and asked some more questions regarding your training and so on?

Thanks a lot for the response; I really appreciate it!

Sure that's fine!
Graduating LLB in July. I turned 40 in January. Hoping to do BPTC in September. You are never too old.
Original post by LegalLeprechaun
Graduating LLB in July. I turned 40 in January. Hoping to do BPTC in September. You are never too old.

That's amazing; congratulations!

Can I ask what you did beforehand?
That's amazing; congratulations!

Can I ask what you did beforehand?

Thanks!
My work beforehand was quite specific, so I would run the risk of potentially identifying myself on here if I told you! It was possibly the furthest thing from law you could imagine though :-)
Original post by LegalLeprechaun
Thanks!
My work beforehand was quite specific, so I would run the risk of potentially identifying myself on here if I told you! It was possibly the furthest thing from law you could imagine though :-)

Totally fair.

Can I ask how much knowledge you had before embarking on the LLB, and how useful/transferable the skills you gained in your prior career are within Law?
Reply 10
Just throwing some support your way! 33, when all is said and done, I hope to be a qualified solicitor at 38.

It's never too late :smile:
Totally fair.

Can I ask how much knowledge you had before embarking on the LLB, and how useful/transferable the skills you gained in your prior career are within Law?

Pretty basic really. I did an access course where I took law as one of my subjects. That was pretty much the extent of my knowledge. Skills I gained in my previous career would be useful for very niche areas of law or in areas such as court of protection or clinical negligence. Apart from that, I gained other experience during my LLB by volunteering in courts.
Hello!I started the GDL at 28 so thought I'd pop my thoughts down.

When looking into everything I spoke with a barrister at a top commercial set and her take was it was 'now or never', so don't delay any longer. Her take was that if you had the (excellent) grades, public speaking experience and strong work (relevant) experience then you'd still be in with a decent shout.

Personally I'm going the solicitor route...don't know if that's an option for you. Asking around prior to applying, firms seem to view older grads in one of two ways. Either, your previous work experience and resultant maturity etc is a potentially attractive asset. Or, they prefer to take grads more recently from uni because they remain more mouldable etc. There seemed to be more firms in the first bracket. Personally, I found the previous work experience really helped me stand out through the interview process and gain a TC.

Couple of people have told me that average age for qualifying as a solicitor is around 30 now anyway. So perhaps if you'd consider the solicitor route then you won't find age an issue :smile:

Drop me a PM if you've got any queries.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by dribbles
Hello!I started the GDL at 28 so thought I'd pop my thoughts down.

When looking into everything I spoke with a barrister at a top commercial set and her take was it was 'now or never', so don't delay any longer. Her take was that if you had the (excellent) grades, public speaking experience and strong work (relevant) experience then you'd still be in with a decent shout.

Personally I'm going the solicitor route...don't know if that's an option for you. Asking around prior to applying, firms seem to view older grads in one of two ways. Either, your previous work experience and resultant maturity etc is a potentially attractive asset. Or, they prefer to take grads more recently from uni because they remain more mouldable etc. There seemed to be more firms in the first bracket. Personally, I found the previous work experience really helped me stand out through the interview process and gain a TC.

Couple of people have told me that average age for qualifying as a solicitor is around 30 now anyway. So perhaps if you'd consider the solicitor route then you won't find age an issue :smile:

Drop me a PM if you've got any queries.

Hi,

I'm trying to work out whether to do the LLB (graduate entry) or the GDL - Which is hugely expensive! Also as a online course as I work for myself and work full time as a marketing consultant. I've asked lecturers - who say do the LLB as you will have an extensive knowledge base and I've talked to solicitors who say do the GDL!! Any advice very much appreciated..

All thoughts welcome!

Hello,
I’m also 28 and i just finished my first degree (English Lit). I’ve been offered a conditional offer at Ulaw for MA Law. I’m keeping my options open for now on whether to become a Solicitor or a Barrister. I chose this course coz it’s a Law conversion course and at the same time I get my master’s degree. Also I am an international student😊. I’m sure we’ll do fine.

Quick Reply