Is there any point asking for a lower offer?

Watch
Jdavies20
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’ve been offered BBB by Newcastle to study Spanish, I’m putting it as my firm and am confident that I can get B’s or better in Spanish and geography, but I’m really not sure I can get it in photography.

I had a really hard time last year, coping with death of family members, my mum needing multiple, big surgeries which effected our family a lot, my own health and so much more. I really lost so much motivation last year and barely touched my course work, and now I’m so worried it’s too late.

Is there any point in asking for a lower grade in that subject, I’m really desperate to go to Newcastle for this course especially and am trying my best to catch up, but it’s still a big worry. Do you think they’ll consider lowering my offer slightly? I went to the offer holder day and spoke to all departmental teachers and loved it so much. (Newcastle is also the lowest offer I’ve been given).
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jdavies20)
I’ve been offered BBB by Newcastle to study Spanish, I’m putting it as my firm and am confident that I can get B’s or better in Spanish and geography, but I’m really not sure I can get it in photography.

I had a really hard time last year, coping with death of family members, my mum needing multiple, big surgeries which effected our family a lot, my own health and so much more. I really lost so much motivation last year and barely touched my course work, and now I’m so worried it’s too late.

Is there any point in asking for a lower grade in that subject, I’m really desperate to go to Newcastle for this course especially and am trying my best to catch up, but it’s still a big worry. Do you think they’ll consider lowering my offer slightly? I went to the offer holder day and spoke to all departmental teachers and loved it so much. (Newcastle is also the lowest offer I’ve been given).
I don't think there's any point you phoning Newcastle about it but maybe you could talk to your Head of Sixth Form to see if they would contact Newcastle on your behalf to explain why your Photography coursework results may not truly reflect your ability.

It sounds like you went through a lot last year. Don't forget that even if the worst comes to the worst and you don't get into Newcastle this year, there would be no shame in taking a Year Out to improve your grades and get into Newcastle next year instead.
ella1902
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don’t think there’s any chance they would agree to that. However, upon getting your grades if you don’t meet it you can contact them and ask if they would still offer you a place, not a sure place but if the course hasnt been filled they may accept you anyways.
Admit-One
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Phoning and asking for a lower offer is unlikely to get very far tbh, but as above, get someone from your school to send mitigating circumstances to the Uni.

If you’ve been and it’s definitely your first choice, Firm them and just do your best as they may accept you slightly below their offer on results day anyway, (although not guaranteed).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (226)
61.08%
No (77)
20.81%
Not sure (67)
18.11%

Watched Threads