KatieAnne__
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
How can I tell the difference between them. For example the leg (forelimb) of a Zebra and a Horse, is this homologous, analogous or neither?

Thank you
Last edited by KatieAnne__; 1 year ago
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Looks like that you have your issues to distinguish the terms from each other. I help you.

Analogous structures between animals exist, when they are different in their origins, but have the same function of their (similar) body parts.

Example:

A mole and a mole cricket are different in class, the mole is a mammalian, the mole cricket instead an insect. But they have shovel-like hands in common to dig the ground. Their body parts have the same function, but different origins.

Homologous structures between animals exist, when they have the same origins and thus the same basic structure of their body parts.

Example:

A bird and a human are mammalians, they have the same origins and that is why the similarity in their basic structure is very high. The components are in the same position, although there might be some abberations in composition.

And now, it is your turn!

A horse and a Zebra are mammalians, what do you think they are? homologous or analogous?
Last edited by Kallisto; 1 year ago
KatieAnne__
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kallisto)
Looks like that you have your issues to distinguish the terms from each other. I help you.

Analogous structures between animals exist, when they are different in their origins, but have the same function of their (similar) body parts.

Example:

A mole and a mole cricket are different in class, the mole is a mammalian, the mole cricket instead an insect. But they have shovel-like hands in common to dig the ground. Their body parts have the same function, but different origins.

Homologous structures between animals exist, when they have the same origins and thus the same basic structure of their body parts.

Example:

A bird and a human are mammalians, they have the same origins and that is why the similarity in their basic structure is very high. The components are in the same position, although there might be some abberations in composition.

And now, it is your turn!

A horse and a Zebra are mammalians, what do you think they are? homologous or analogous
The thing is, they are related as you have said mammalian (homologous) but their forelimbs have the same function (analogous). So I’m still a bit unsure, homologous?
Last edited by KatieAnne__; 1 year ago
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by KatieAnne__)
The thing is, they are related as you have said mammalian (homologous) but their forelimbs have the same function (analogous). So I’m still a bit unsure, homologous?
Analogous as a term is always used whenever living creatures are not related to each other in terms of their origins, but have the same function of a body part.

Homologous living creatures have always a relation to their origins, so horses and zebras for instance. Yep, that is right.
KatieAnne__
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kallisto)
Analogous as a term is always used whenever living creatures are not related to each other in terms of their origins, but have the same function of a body part.

Homologous living creatures have always a relation to their origins, so horses and zebras for instance. Yep, that is right.
Ah okay, thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (58)
22.39%
Excited but a bit nervous (117)
45.17%
Not bothered either way (34)
13.13%
I'm really nervous (50)
19.31%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed