11plusboy
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Can anyone help me with this question? I have got the answer for part a it's just question b that I am stuck on.
As for working out so far:
I have acknowledged that that component vector is 1i + 1tan(B)j then I tried to find the magnitude using sqrt (1 squared + tan squared (B)) but I don't know where to go from here.
I have also tried expressing tan as sin/cos but this still doesn't get me anywhere.
Attached files
ThomH97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
It's not asked you to simplify it, so you could probably just leave it in the form of what it started with divided by the magnitude.

However, if you do wish to simplify, then go with rewriting as sin/cos, and try to get the whole bit inside the root over a common denominator.
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by 11plusboy)
Can anyone help me with this question? I have got the answer for part a it's just question b that I am stuck on.
As for working out so far:
I have acknowledged that that component vector is 1i + 1tan(B)j then I tried to find the magnitude using sqrt (1 squared + tan squared (B)) but I don't know where to go from here.
I have also tried expressing tan as sin/cos but this still doesn't get me anywhere.
1+\tan^2 \beta is precisely equal to \sec^2 \beta.

Thus the magnitude is simply |\sec \beta|.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (17)
20%
I'm not sure (2)
2.35%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (23)
27.06%
I have already dropped out (3)
3.53%
I'm not a current university student (40)
47.06%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed