squigglet13
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have a huge pile of books to read, but I was just wondering if anyone has any they really enjoyed? I tend to read crime and I want to try and read a new genre
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do you read true crime or prefer crime fiction?
squigglet13
Rep:
?
(Original post by londonmyst)
Do you read true crime or prefer crime fiction?
Crime fiction. It might sound a bit strange/lame but true crime scares me a bit
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by squigglet13)
I have a huge pile of books to read, but I was just wondering if anyone has any they really enjoyed? I tend to read crime and I want to try and read a new genre
Sounds silly but I like historical drama. I love anything by Jean Plaidy. She tells about historical events from the viewpoint of the queens and princesses. For example, there is nothing more scary than being Anne Boleyn and walking in her shoes as she draws nearer and nearer to her execution.

Also the same goes for Marie Antoinette. Plaidy does a series of books about her. Check out the first book "Flaunting, extravagant queen". You have never seen a shopaholic like Marie Antoinette, especially when her future depends on having children, and her husband is about as romantic as a wet weekend...

In case anyone thinks these books are frothy, they are extremely well researched, and are the reason Lucy Worsley became a historian Scotney
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Crime fiction. It might sound a bit strange/lame but true crime scares me a bit
Have you read "The Postcard Killers" by James Patterson & Liza Marklund and "Above Suspicion" by Lynda La Plante?
Agatha Christie books are also great but more mystery genre than crime.
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Have you read "The Postcard Killers" by James Patterson & Liza Marklund and "Above Suspicion" by Lynda La Plante?
I love Agatha Christie books so much, I named my son after one of her husbands..
squigglet13
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
Sounds silly but I like historical drama. I love anything by Jean Plaidy. She tells about historical events from the viewpoint of the queens and princesses. For example, there is nothing more scary than being Anne Boleyn and walking in her shoes as she draws nearer and nearer to her execution.

Also the same goes for Marie Antoinette. Plaidy does a series of books about her. Check out the first book "Flaunting, extravagant queen". You have never seen a shopaholic like Marie Antoinette, especially when her future depends on having children, and her husband is about as romantic as a wet weekend...

In case anyone thinks these books are frothy, they are extremely well researched, and are the reason Lucy Worsley became a historian Scotney
Well I love Lucy Worsley so I'll give them a go thanks!
squigglet13
Rep:
?
No I haven't... I'll see if I can find a copy.
Absolutely LOVE Agatha Christie
farah.02
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
try reading confesions of a murder suspect by James patterson otherwise if u wanna a new genre then read the duff for a big laugh also a film so when u finish the book watch the movie
Scotney
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Oxford Mum)

I did not know that but I am not surprised. They certainly fueled my interest in the Tudors. In fact the first history books I read were Jean Plaidy's ones about the young Elizabeth and Mary Queen of Scots when I was 11.History is at its best when seen as a story.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (206)
52.28%
No, they should still go ahead (56)
14.21%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (132)
33.5%

Watched Threads