6 months in and depressed at work

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I started a graduate job a while ago and have now been here for 6 months. The work itself I have found interesting and I thought I got on pretty well with my colleagues, as I had a good sense of humour and was very approachable and people just liked talking to me and vice versa.

Admittedly, I struggled with some of the technical work itself as it sometimes required a lot of advanced knowledge and experience which I just didn't have - it would take me a week or two to do something when it might take an experienced person a couple of days. I'd ask for help and still try as hard as I could to get it done. It didn't help that another grad who joined was way more experienced than I was in that subject area since he had graduated in that field and so he had naturally set a high standard. I basically feel like I'm a burden on them.

Recently, my boss called me in for a meeting and he expressed concerns such as not working quickly enough, not thinking outside the box enough, asking for too much help etc which got me feeling quite sad since throughout the 6 months, I'd only been given positive feedback by him and the progress I had made and I suddenly now know that it wasn't enough. He also said he had been told by some of my colleagues about how I'm struggling and asked for too much help whilst one of them said I wasn't working my hours (not true). I feel my boss doesn't trust me much anymore and I don't know which of my colleagues I can trust. It was even more upsetting that nothing positive was said during that meeting even though I have accomplished a lot and was completely ignored. He also gave me a tonne of extra work to do, and told some of my colleagues to keep tabs on me (virtually every few hours) to make sure I was doing it.

My only consolation is that I know I won't be working here forever as I'm making plans to quit and go and volunteer somewhere around the world in a year from now (or try out a different job) but all of a sudden, that feels like ages away. I also don't feel this is the field I want to stay in anymore

Does anyone have advice on this? Like whether I should stick to the role, or just find another one, or if it is okay to feel this way
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I started a graduate job a while ago and have now been here for 6 months. The work itself I have found interesting and I thought I got on pretty well with my colleagues, as I had a good sense of humour and was very approachable and people just liked talking to me and vice versa.

Admittedly, I struggled with some of the technical work itself as it sometimes required a lot of advanced knowledge and experience which I just didn't have - it would take me a week or two to do something when it might take an experienced person a couple of days. I'd ask for help and still try as hard as I could to get it done. It didn't help that another grad who joined was way more experienced than I was in that subject area since he had graduated in that field and so he had naturally set a high standard. I basically feel like I'm a burden on them.

Recently, my boss called me in for a meeting and he expressed concerns such as not working quickly enough, not thinking outside the box enough, asking for too much help etc which got me feeling quite sad since throughout the 6 months, I'd only been given positive feedback by him and the progress I had made and I suddenly now know that it wasn't enough. He also said he had been told by some of my colleagues about how I'm struggling and asked for too much help whilst one of them said I wasn't working my hours (not true). I feel my boss doesn't trust me much anymore and I don't know which of my colleagues I can trust. It was even more upsetting that nothing positive was said during that meeting even though I have accomplished a lot and was completely ignored. He also gave me a tonne of extra work to do, and told some of my colleagues to keep tabs on me (virtually every few hours) to make sure I was doing it.

My only consolation is that I know I won't be working here forever as I'm making plans to quit and go and volunteer somewhere around the world in a year from now (or try out a different job) but all of a sudden, that feels like ages away. I also don't feel this is the field I want to stay in anymore

Does anyone have advice on this? Like whether I should stick to the role, or just find another one, or if it is okay to feel this way
Trust is a valuable thing, and once it's broken it's often impossible to get it back. Do you have a good enough relationship with your boss to approach him with essentially what you've written here? If not, I fear this is going to fester and you will start to feel resentful in this job.

The question really is can you stick it out for a year or so and meanwhile make definite plans for this travelling and thus have an escape route. If you can, it's probably the easiest option.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Trust is a valuable thing, and once it's broken it's often impossible to get it back. Do you have a good enough relationship with your boss to approach him with essentially what you've written here? If not, I fear this is going to fester and you will start to feel resentful in this job.

The question really is can you stick it out for a year or so and meanwhile make definite plans for this travelling and thus have an escape route. If you can, it's probably the easiest option.
I thought our relationship was quite good, but now I feel like it's gone downhill just based on what other more senior colleagues, who he definitely trusts more, have told him.

I have definitely made plans for the travelling but no idea if I can hold out till then, it's hard to know. I guess the other option is just to keep working as I am until I'm either fired or until something else is raised, but that sort of outcome would probably make my mental health a lot worse :/
watershower
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Are you truly confident in your abilities? It seems like you keep comparing yourself to other colleagues and the other graduate. You’re new and still getting to grips with things, but that doesn’t make you incompetent. Have faith in yourself.

Besides that, if you don’t feel like you can speak to your boss, is there another person you feel like you can speak to? How about starting a connection with the fellow grad student (if you haven’t already)? Work is really stressful and it helps of you have at least one secure senior/more experienced person to go to.

It’s great that you have a future to look forward to. When you feel like giving up, you can remember your goals. Maybe push your volunteering forward a few months so you feel closer to your goal. Only you truly know your limits so when you feel as if you’ve reached it, then you should quit. Right now though, it’s all fresh and if you can reduce your problems now, it will be better in the long run.

Good luck with your job
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (258)
33.86%
No (504)
66.14%

Watched Threads