The Student Room Group

Middlesex or Westminster? Post Grad in Events Management

Hi folks! I have unconditional offers from both the universities. Now, I need a detailed comparison between both the universities for my masters in events management in terms of:
Teaching
Student Unions
Environment
Overall Cultural Diversity
Recognition of the degree
Career opportunities

Would love an experienced alumni to give his/her two cents preferably.
Reply 1
Hello there!

Down below please find the text I wrote for you, which I tried to cover with my answers your enquires and tried to share my opinion/experience!

The University of Westminster is located just in the heart of London, which is the world’s best student city. As a University, I believe is one of the universities with a rich academic heritage and effective teaching. Also, there are many opportunities and support you can get during your studies. For international students they offer additional academic and English language support.

Studying MA Event Design and Management has given me the opportunity to take a proactive role in my education and to live in a city (because of its location) with a vibrant mix of people while proving my English or building my confidence, by immersing myself in a new culture. As a Part-Time student during my both university years, I had the chance to taste-test different programs, learn from the expert speakers -who are event experts/professionals have attended different modules as guest speakers- in diverse fields and explore my passions to tailor my academic (selection of the dissertation topic could be a good example) but also career paths. Learning during the university years is not restricted to be attending only the classroom either (which is always good for direct questions to ask to the module teacher if there are any), the module teachers are always recording the modules and uploading to the student portal called “Blackboard”, to give the chance to the students who could not attend the class, to follow it online. Academic staff members and librarians are always happy to offer tutorials outside of the classrooms and support the students fully. I love how as a university also a department they have involved themselves in technology and there are always online materials available to get extra support, either from the “Blackboard” portal or Skype meetings.

There are so many different communities in which you can involve yourself and so many other services offered by the Students’ Union. They have their offices located on the campus and you can ask for their help every day during weekdays, which I personally had good experience every time. Despite what you may think, the university is not just about hitting the books. Along with taking advantage of the numerous learning opportunities that are very accessible to you, you can get involved outside the classroom. You will have the chance to indulge freely in your hobbies and connect with people from the spectrum of diverse educational and cultural backgrounds from sports clubs and societies at the University of Westminster. There are so many which you can be a member of, likewise Men’s/ Women’s Basketball, Musical Theatre Society, Jewish Society, Harry Potter Society, Netball, Chinese Scholars and Students Association, Green Place Society, Choral Society, Christian Union, Anime Society, Wellbeing Club, and many more engaging ones. The Students’ Union will become a platform for you which through of it your voice can be heard. Aside from all the amazing campaigns they run such as Freshers, Black History Month and Elections to name a few, they also offer an excellent Advice Service that is FREE, independent and impartial for all University of Westminster (UoW) students. If you run into any academic or housing issues during your time at University, you can schedule an appointment with a member of the advice team on their website, which you can always check online through their website all the latest events, parties and activities they are having, as well as, join a student group, news articles and so much more. There is also another easiest way if you are confused you can just reach them via their chat function on the website or message them on Facebook and you will get the best guidance. Personally, the activities I pursued outside lectures taught me valuable lessons and skills that I would have otherwise never had the opportunity to challenge.

London is a creative hub in which there are always opportunities for work placements. You can get the support from the University during or post your studies with CV or Covering Letter improvements, and recommendations for different work placements, or paid/unpaid internships, or part/full- time job opportunities from Engage platform.

I hope you find it helpful!

All the best,
Eda Molla Chousein
University of Westminster last year MA Events Design and Management Student
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by monster0612
Hi folks! I have unconditional offers from both the universities. Now, I need a detailed comparison between both the universities for my masters in events management in terms of:
Teaching
Student Unions
Environment
Career opportunities

Don't look at the Universities, look at the industry. Look at alumni groups, look up people on LinkedIn, look in the industry journals etc, look at industry research and see which university has most people actually entering and influencing the events industry.
Reply 3
Original post by monster0612
Teaching
Student Unions
Environment
Career opportunities

Hello there!

Down below please find the text I wrote for you, which I tried to cover with my answers your enquires and tried to share my opinion/experience!

The University of Westminster is located just in the heart of London, which is the world’s best student city. As a University, I believe is one of the universities with a rich academic heritage and effective teaching. Also, there are many opportunities and support you can get during your studies. For international students they offer additional academic and English language support.

Studying MA Event Design and Management has given me the opportunity to take a proactive role in my education and to live in a city (because of its location) with a vibrant mix of people while proving my English or building my confidence, by immersing myself in a new culture. As a Part-Time student during my both university years, I had the chance to taste-test different programs, learn from the expert speakers -who are event experts/professionals have attended different modules as guest speakers- in diverse fields and explore my passions to tailor my academic (selection of the dissertation topic could be a good example) but also career paths. Learning during the university years is not restricted to be attending only the classroom either (which is always good for direct questions to ask to the module teacher if there are any), the module teachers are always recording the modules and uploading to the student portal called “Blackboard”, to give the chance to the students who could not attend the class, to follow it online. Academic staff members and librarians are always happy to offer tutorials outside of the classrooms and support the students fully. I love how as a university also a department they have involved themselves in technology and there are always online materials available to get extra support, either from the “Blackboard” portal or Skype meetings.

There are so many different communities in which you can involve yourself and so many other services offered by the Students’ Union. They have their offices located on the campus and you can ask for their help every day during weekdays, which I personally had good experience every time. Despite what you may think, the university is not just about hitting the books. Along with taking advantage of the numerous learning opportunities that are very accessible to you, you can get involved outside the classroom. You will have the chance to indulge freely in your hobbies and connect with people from the spectrum of diverse educational and cultural backgrounds from sports clubs and societies at the University of Westminster. There are so many which you can be a member of, likewise Men’s/ Women’s Basketball, Musical Theatre Society, Jewish Society, Harry Potter Society, Netball, Chinese Scholars and Students Association, Green Place Society, Choral Society, Christian Union, Anime Society, Wellbeing Club, and many more engaging ones. The Students’ Union will become a platform for you which through of it your voice can be heard. Aside from all the amazing campaigns they run such as Freshers, Black History Month and Elections to name a few, they also offer an excellent Advice Service that is FREE, independent and impartial for all University of Westminster (UoW) students. If you run into any academic or housing issues during your time at University, you can schedule an appointment with a member of the advice team on their website, which you can always check online through their website all the latest events, parties and activities they are having, as well as, join a student group, news articles and so much more. There is also another easiest way if you are confused you can just reach them via their chat function on the website or message them on Facebook and you will get the best guidance. Personally, the activities I pursued outside lectures taught me valuable lessons and skills that I would have otherwise never had the opportunity to challenge.

London is a creative hub in which there are always opportunities for work placements. You can get the support from the University during or post your studies with CV or Covering Letter improvements, and recommendations for different work placements, or paid/unpaid internships, or part/full- time job opportunities from Engage platform.

I hope you find it helpful!

All the best,
Eda Molla Chousein
University of Westminster last year MA Events Design and Management Student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending