US123456
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
SIGNIFICANCE LEVEL: p ≤ 0.05 (probability of chance factors affecting the results is 5% or less)

Type II error – very stringent significance level (p<0.05) leading to non-significant results when they wouldn’t be if a higher level was used. This is known as a false negative. The researcher wrongly accepts the null hypothesis.

Type I error – a very high/lenient significance level (p>0.05) leading to significant results when they shouldn’t be if a lower level was used. This is known as a false positive. The researcher wrongly rejects the null hypothesis.

Can someone give examples of a type I and II error. I know the 2 types but I don't understand them.
Sandra4938
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for providing the help
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sandra4938
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
US123456
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Noodlzzz)
lool. i guess that part wasn't as hard to understand as i thought it would be. However i still dont understand the part about significance level.
chazwomaq
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by US123456)
SIGNIFICANCE LEVEL: p ≤ 0.05 (probability of chance factors affecting the results is 5% or less)
This definition of a significance level is not correct. It is actually "the probability of rejecting the null hypothesis, given that the null hypothesis is true."
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (256)
33.82%
No (501)
66.18%

Watched Threads