The Student Room Group

Residency - parents' residency question on application

Hi - I have been resident in the UK (England) with both of my parents since before 1st September 2017. We are all UK citizens. I want to attend university from September 2020, so I assume that on that basis I am a home student and should be eligible for SF. However, my parents want to relocate overseas (outside EU/EEA) some time in the summer 2020. I intend to remain in the UK or EU and only temporarily visit them if they do this. Will this affect my ability to get SF? Also, what is the situation if one of my parents continues to reside in the UK until I go to uni? Thanks!
Original post by EvaristePatrick
Hi - I have been resident in the UK (England) with both of my parents since before 1st September 2017. We are all UK citizens. I want to attend university from September 2020, so I assume that on that basis I am a home student and should be eligible for SF. However, my parents want to relocate overseas (outside EU/EEA) some time in the summer 2020. I intend to remain in the UK or EU and only temporarily visit them if they do this. Will this affect my ability to get SF? Also, what is the situation if one of my parents continues to reside in the UK until I go to uni? Thanks!

Hi, before discussing your parents we should work out if you are eligible for SFE funding as a home student.

Are you a UK national or when you state you are a UK citizen, is it because you have the new EU settled status? Please confirm your nationality and status in the U.K. - please also confirm where you were living before arriving in the U.K.

Do you have any previous study at Higher Education level?

Please also confirm your age.

Thank you
Original post by murpo
Hi, before discussing your parents we should work out if you are eligible for SFE funding as a home student.

Are you a UK national or when you state you are a UK citizen, is it because you have the new EU settled status? Please confirm your nationality and status in the U.K. - please also confirm where you were living before arriving in the U.K.

Do you have any previous study at Higher Education level?

Please also confirm your age.

Thank you

I am a UK national, born in the UK. From May 2008 to August 2017 I lived in Australia. Since then I have been continuously resident in the UK.

I am 19 years old and I have no previous study at HE level.
I am a UK national, born in the UK. From May 2008 to August 2017 I lived in Australia. Since then I have been continuously resident in the UK.

I am 19 years old and I have no previous study at HE level.

Thanks for providing the info.

Based on that, you will have been in the U.K. for 3 years by the 01/09/2020 and therefore should be eligible.

In regards to your parents, they need to provide their 2018/19 tax year income. If they were in the U.K. during that tax year then they can supply their financial details online. If they were working overseas then they will need to complete a paper PFF2 form.

If your parents move out of the U.K, you eligibility is not affected.
Original post by murpo
Thanks for providing the info.

Based on that, you will have been in the U.K. for 3 years by the 01/09/2020 and therefore should be eligible.

In regards to your parents, they need to provide their 2018/19 tax year income. If they were in the U.K. during that tax year then they can supply their financial details online. If they were working overseas then they will need to complete a paper PFF2 form.

If your parents move out of the U.K, you eligibility is not affected.

Thank you. I will not be applying for the full maintenance amount, so my parents worn't need to provide financial details
Thank you. I will not be applying for the full maintenance amount, so my parents worn't need to provide financial details

You’re welcome. Yes, if your happy with the basic finance then your parents don’t need to provide their details :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending