The Student Room Group

Chemistry A Level - OCR B! Salters? Anyone else doing this?

//
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by HandsUp
Hi all

if anyone is doing OCR B Chem and has good resources, past papers etc please let me know. I have the CGP book but would love to know what else there is. Also, none of the usual online tutors seem to cover OCR B. If anyone knows anyone that does, please let me know. Thanks

Unless you really want to make things much more difficult for yourself do not touch Salters with a 10ft barge pole. Unless it's changed dramatically from what it was as a modular A-level you will have to do what everyone else is doing plus a hell of a lot more. Under the modular system that hell of a lot more was known as Chemical Storylines: I've got both books on my shelf.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that Salters isn't a good course, or that it isn't interesting. It's just that you will have to do a lot more work than all those doing different chemistry A-levels. It's like being in a race where everybody else's finish line is 100m, but yours is 130m.

Not only will you find very few online tutors, you won't find many face-to-face ones either. Very few schools do Slaters. I feel it's often a case of macho teachers wanting to put something they can brag about on their CV, rather than helping their students get the best grade.

Oh, I notice you mention online tutors. Unless you can't afford to get one who will sit down beside you, this is a really bad option. Get a good tutor to teach you in person. You will definitely notice the difference. Of course, good ones are really busy so you will probably have to travel to them.
Reply 2
//
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by HandsUp
Sadly I have little choice. My school only offers this (state Grammar) but I think it might be an improvement over Pre-U Chem which they used to do!

Sorry to hear this. It sounds as if your head of chemistry is a prat. He/she should give top priority to getting you the best grades, so that you can go to the university of your choice. The vast majority schools do either AQA, OCR A or Edexcel.
@Pigster might be able to help IDK? Also I somewhat agree with @David Getling the only science where they commonly do OCR B seems to be Biology lol! (B for biology I guess)
Reply 5
Original post by 1st superstar
@Pigster might be able to help IDK? Also I somewhat agree with @David Getling the only science where they commonly do OCR B seems to be Biology lol! (B for biology I guess)

The number of candidates doing OCR B Bio is now in the low hundreds.
Original post by Pigster
The number of candidates doing OCR B Bio is now in the low hundreds.

Oh I did no that then
Reply 7
Original post by David Getling
Unless you really want to make things much more difficult for yourself do not touch Salters with a 10ft barge pole. Unless it's changed dramatically from what it was as a modular A-level you will have to do what everyone else is doing plus a hell of a lot more. Under the modular system that hell of a lot more was known as Chemical Storylines: I've got both books on my shelf.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that Salters isn't a good course, or that it isn't interesting. It's just that you will have to do a lot more work than all those doing different chemistry A-levels. It's like being in a race where everybody else's finish line is 100m, but yours is 130m.

Not only will you find very few online tutors, you won't find many face-to-face ones either. Very few schools do Slaters. I feel it's often a case of macho teachers wanting to put something they can brag about on their CV, rather than helping their students get the best grade.

Oh, I notice you mention online tutors. Unless you can't afford to get one who will sit down beside you, this is a really bad option. Get a good tutor to teach you in person. You will definitely notice the difference. Of course, good ones are really busy so you will probably have to travel to them.

I’m also doing OCR B I can agree resources are very lacking and I don’t think they’re that lenient with the A* however the grade boundaries have been dropping we still have story lines and a spiral curriculum but content wise I think we pretty much learn the same things as anyone else just in a different order

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending