Is an opt out system morally correct? Please help

Watch
elssssssssa
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi people! I wondered what peoples opinions are on the opt out donation system. Only because I need to know what the public consensus is so I can analyse for an essay. Please help thank you!! x
David Getling
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by elssssssssa)
Hi people! I wondered what peoples opinions are on the opt out donation system. Only because I need to know what the public consensus is so I can analyse for an essay. Please help thank you!! x
For me once you are dead your organs are of no use at all to you but they could save another person's life. So I would authorise their use regardless of what a person or their family wanted. What's more important, saving somebody's (or even several people's) life, or pandering to someones superstitious belief or feelings?
Sammylou40
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It’s personal choice.
Before you could go online and register to donate
Now you log on to opt out
No hardship. Make your choice
elssssssssa
Rep:
?
(Original post by David Getling)
For me once you are dead your organs are of no use at all to you but they could save another person's life. So I would authorise their use regardless of what a person or their family wanted. What's more important, saving somebody's (or even several people's) life, or pandering to someones superstitious belief or feelings?
Thank you! Just needed the opinions of others and this is perfect
Joleee
Badges: 18
Report 1 month ago
if you need to know this for an academic essay, are you sure you don't need actual government reports/surveys like maybe this one?
YaliaV
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Is it morally right to opt out when you could save multiple lives? They still have that option.
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I disagree with the automatic opt out system.
I believe it should be opt in only.
As is the current process for people choosing to donate blood, bone marrow, ivf embryos/eggs or be living organ donors.

The system has been changed solely with the aim of facilitating access to a much larger supply of potential transplant organs.
Generally organs taken from adult deceased persons who did not choose to register themselves as organ donors.
I have grave concerns about the legal precedent direction, ethics, motivations and practical consequences of replacing the opt in system with opt out.

It is a personal decision whether adults want to be living donors, posthumously donate their organs or anything else that belongs to them after decease.
They should be able to specify in life if they wish to donate, what specifically they wish to donate and to whom (specific person/medical facility/charity/the state).
Just as is it is a personal decision to choose whether to donate money to a charity by monthly direct debit or donate unwanted gifts to a charity shop.
If the law was changed to require every person in the country to opt out to prevent the state automatically seizing all the financial assets, properties and valuables upon decease- there would be an outcry about an authoritarian state seeking to perpetuate a 'robin hood' style asset strip of dead persons by the backdoor and robbing bereaved descendants of their inheritances.
elssssssssa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joleee)
if you need to know this for an academic essay, are you sure you don't need actual government reports/surveys like maybe this one?
Thank you very much for this, I need a mixture of officially publishes stats from medical boards etc... and the views of the public.
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Meh. I don't think people are entitled autonomy over their dead body, they permanently have no consciousness and will not be impacted by what's done with it. I've no problem respecting it, but I feel no moral obligation to.
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I agree with the opt out system. Many people don't sign up to donate because they don't think to, not because they have any huge objections to donating. The ones who strongly object to it will opt out, the ones who are indifferent will now become donors and more people will have access to organs.

Currently, even if someone has signed up to be a donor, their family still get the final say - I'm assuming this would continue in an opt out system too, so It would still not be compulsory, there would just be a wider pool of families to ask.
watershower
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I agree, because most people want to donate, but either don’t know how or just don’t care. If you honestly really care about your body after death, then opt out! You’re dead anyways, and you’ll be saving lives too. The countries that have the highest donation rate have opt out systems too, so it’s about time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (175)
15.26%
Uncertainty around my education (191)
16.65%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (113)
9.85%
Isolating with family (78)
6.8%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (43)
3.75%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (98)
8.54%
Loneliness (113)
9.85%
Financial worries (51)
4.45%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (105)
9.15%
Exposure to negative news/social media (81)
7.06%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (99)
8.63%

Watched Threads