lhh2003
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi guys, in the graph y = 4x^3 - 24x^2 ,

How am I meant to sketch this graph ? I know the general shape of a cubic graph, I know the roots are 0 and 6.

But how am I meant to know whether the part of the curve between x = 0 and x = 6 is above or below the x - axis ?

I lost about 4 marks because of this lack of knowledge in my exam.

Thank you in advance
David Getling
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lhh2003)

How am I meant to sketch this graph ? I know the general shape of a cubic graph, I know the roots are 0 and 6.

But how am I meant to know whether the part of the curve between x = 0 and x = 6 is above or below the x - axis ?

Thank you in advance
Easy. The graph is continuous and you know that for large negative values it will be negative, and for large positive values it will be positive. How can you make this work with those two roots?

More importantly, get yourself a graphics calculator. It would have saved you those marks, and maybe others. People who tell you they are of no use probably don't know how to use them well: which includes most teachers.
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Thank you in advance
Plug a value (which is between 0 and 6) into the equation.

If your result is positive, then y is positive hence the curve is above the x axis.

Similarly if the result is negative.
dextrous63
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
"I know the roots are 0 and 6" isn't strictly true. The roots are 0, 0 and 6. What does the repeated root mean graphically?
mqb2766
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Thank you in advance
All of the above and also factorise
4x^2(x-6)
The graph is negative (not positive) for x<6.
lhh2003
Rep:
?
(Original post by David Getling)
Easy. The graph is continuous and you know that for large negative values it will be negative, and for large positive values it will be positive. How can you make this work with those two roots?

More importantly, get yourself a graphics calculator. It would have saved you those marks, and maybe others. People who tell you they are of no use probably don't know how to use them well: which includes most teachers.
They are like £100
lhh2003
Rep:
?
(Original post by RDKGames)
Plug a value (which is between 0 and 6) into the equation.

If your result is positive, then y is positive hence the curve is above the x axis.

Similarly if the result is negative.
Thank you.
lhh2003
Rep:
?
(Original post by dextrous63)
"I know the roots are 0 and 6" isn't strictly true. The roots are 0, 0 and 6. What does the repeated root mean graphically?
Very true. I guess it means that the graph will have to go under the x axis from point 0 until it reaches point 6
dextrous63
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Very true. I guess it means that the graph will have to go under the x axis from point 0 until it reaches point 6
Correct
David Getling
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A repeated root often means that you have a maximum or minimum touching the x axis.
David Getling
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
They are like £100
Well think of it like this. Over the two years you spend taking your A-levels that works out to £1 a week. Isn't spending that each week worth it if it gets you a higher grade? Think of how much money most students waste on their mobile phones.
dextrous63
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well think of it like this. Over the two years you spend taking your A-levels that works out to £1 a week. Isn't spending that each week worth it if it gets you a higher grade? Think of how much money most students waste on their mobile phones.
Plus, of course, at the end of it all there are internet auction sites available to recoup a substantial amount of the investment if needs be.
David Getling
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Plus, of course, at the end of it all there are internet auction sites available to recoup a substantial amount of the investment if needs be.
Bang on! One of my students bought a second-hand TI-Nspire CX.
dextrous63
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Bang on! One of my students bought a second-hand TI-Nspire CX.
Whether one opts for Texas or Casio, there are also a couple of highly rated books available to explain how to use them
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (175)
15.26%
Uncertainty around my education (191)
16.65%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (113)
9.85%
Isolating with family (78)
6.8%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (43)
3.75%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (98)
8.54%
Loneliness (113)
9.85%
Financial worries (51)
4.45%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (105)
9.15%
Exposure to negative news/social media (81)
7.06%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (99)
8.63%

Watched Threads