springpastell
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
My plans are destroyed and I don't think I can reapply next year cause my exam grades will certainly be lower than my predicted grade (41 IB points). What should I do now? Should I study very hard, try to excel at my exams and try to reapply next year and earn money in 2020 or should I just go to a less prestigious uni now? My course is quite risky when it comes to jobs afterwards (philosophy & politics) and going to a prestigious uni would make me feel safe when it comes to my career afterwards. I honestly feel so down.
btw. I was rejected from Edinburgh and have offers for Birmingham, Lancaster and UEA.
jtkai
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Rejection is always tough to deal with and it can take some time to get over. It’s okay to feel disappointed about it for a while, remember you have some time still before you have to make a decision so don’t feel like you have to rush into it.

It sounds like you still have offers from good universities. Although it may feel like it, Edinburgh isn’t everything. Think about if you would be happy essentially putting your life on hold for a year in order to reapply. How would you feel if it went wrong again? Do you feel satisfied with what you can do with your time in a gap year?

Ultimately, try not to let this demotivate you. I know that’s easier said than done but after some time has passed and you feel more able, try to let it motivate you instead, whether that’s studying harder to make sure your Plan B still works out or to prove to yourself that you can do it. I know you’ll be feeling upset right now but I promise you that you will feel better about it over time and more able to focus on the options that are available to you now.
emiloujess
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by springpastell)
My plans are destroyed and I don't think I can reapply next year cause my exam grades will certainly be lower than my predicted grade (41 IB points). What should I do now? Should I study very hard, try to excel at my exams and try to reapply next year and earn money in 2020 or should I just go to a less prestigious uni now? My course is quite risky when it comes to jobs afterwards (philosophy & politics) and going to a prestigious uni would make me feel safe when it comes to my career afterwards. I honestly feel so down.
btw. I was rejected from Edinburgh and have offers for Birmingham, Lancaster and UEA.
Birmingham is a great uni still! Did you have a fifth choice, or only put down 4?

Honestly I would try your very best now, after firming/insuring which universities you would really like (regardless of grades). Bear in mind that unis can and sometimes will accept people if they get a little below their grade on results day. If neither your firm or insurance work out then Clearing is an option, as is retaking some exams and reapplying for 2021. You may surprise yourself, try and stay positive
springpastell
Rep:
?
(Original post by emiloujess)
Birmingham is a great uni still! Did you have a fifth choice, or only put down 4?

Honestly I would try your very best now, after firming/insuring which universities you would really like (regardless of grades). Bear in mind that unis can and sometimes will accept people if they get a little below their grade on results day. If neither your firm or insurance work out then Clearing is an option, as is retaking some exams and reapplying for 2021. You may surprise yourself, try and stay positive
Thank you! I also applied to Aberdeen but haven't heard a word from them so I constantly forget I even applied there haha
springpastell
Rep:
?
(Original post by jtkai)
Rejection is always tough to deal with and it can take some time to get over. It’s okay to feel disappointed about it for a while, remember you have some time still before you have to make a decision so don’t feel like you have to rush into it.

It sounds like you still have offers from good universities. Although it may feel like it, Edinburgh isn’t everything. Think about if you would be happy essentially putting your life on hold for a year in order to reapply. How would you feel if it went wrong again? Do you feel satisfied with what you can do with your time in a gap year?

Ultimately, try not to let this demotivate you. I know that’s easier said than done but after some time has passed and you feel more able, try to let it motivate you instead, whether that’s studying harder to make sure your Plan B still works out or to prove to yourself that you can do it. I know you’ll be feeling upset right now but I promise you that you will feel better about it over time and more able to focus on the options that are available to you now.
Thanks!!
EleaGR
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi, [user=5118056]springpastell!

I am sorry to hear you feel this way. A rejection is always difficult to manage.

However, as a mom of 2 ex IB students, I will advise you to not give up hope! My son was predicted 41 and had applied for Physics. He got 30!!! and still managed to get in to his insurance choice uni, University of Leeds. As you understand he wasn't expecting to get accepted by any of his 2 choices, so before hearing from them he started calling the Clearing lines of Unis and the same day (Monday 8th July) he managed to get 3 offers from Queen Mary London, Uni of Sussex and Uni of Leicester. On August after A-levels results he also got an offer from Uni of Kent.

The advantage of IB is that you get your results early and Clearing has just opened, so you get a good chance of getting offers. Of course, that depends on your course also, and obviously each year may be different. Let me point out also that Scottish unis (Herriott-Watt and Strathclyde) did not even consider him, although their clearing grade requirements were close to his grades, as we are EU and probably because of their quotas.

I hope I have given you some hope to carry on. You still got a lot of time before your exams to study and practice with past papers. Please try hard to do your best and I am sure you will find a good Uni to settle in. You already got decent offers by the way. And nothing is over yet! Keep strong!

I will keep my fingers crossed for you! Let me know if I can be of any help! 🍀🍀🍀🤞🤞🤞
Last edited by EleaGR; 4 weeks ago
swanseajack1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
There is a particular problem with Scottish universities which doesnt apply to other UK universitie in that there is a cap there on how many students they can take on for Scottish and EU students. Because both pay no fees there they have to restrict numbers. This often leads to applicants who exceed the MINIMUM entry requirements getting rejected there.

Basically with 41 IB points you are likely to be accepted almost anywhere else except maybe Oxbridge and a couple of London universities. The 3 offers you have heard from are really excellent universities and going to anyone of them would be great. The other option would be to reject all 3 and Aberdeen and then apply elsewhere. Bath and Exeter are both showing courses open with 36 points and at Exeter you could study Philosophy with Politics under their flexible combined honours system. If you decide to reject all your offers and apply to one of the above under ucas extra then ring the university this applies to check whether they still have places available before rejecting your current choices. There will be other excellent English universities available as well. Bath, Exeter, Lancaster and Birmingham are all ranked above Edinburgh in the general rankings for the CUG. Birmingham, Exeter and Lancaster are above Edinburgh in the Philosophy subject ranking and Bath, Exeter and Lancaster are above Edinburgh for Politics.

You have excellent choices whether to decide to go for 1 of your 3 offers or decide to go through ucas extra. I wouldnt take a year out as you might not get in next year due to the problem with the capping system that applies there. This happens to prospective students every year. You wont be disadvantaged if you were to go to the likes of Bath, Birmingham, Exeter or Lancaster in place of Edinburgh.

Take your time deciding which route you decide to take. If at all possible go on applicant/visit days to Birmingham, East Anglia and Lancaster before deciding. You dont need to firm until May.
Pharyngotympanic
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What exactly are you planning to do when you graduate? If you end up doing a job where having a degree is just a tick box exercise (or not even needed at all) then it doesn't matter where you studied.
springpastell
Rep:
?
(Original post by EleaGR)
Hi, [user=5118056]springpastell!

I am sorry to hear you feel this way. A rejection is always difficult to manage.

However, as a mom of 2 ex IB students, I will advise you to not give up hope! My son was predicted 41 and had applied for Physics. He got 30!!! and still managed to get in to his insurance choice uni, University of Leeds. As you understand he wasn't expecting to get accepted by any of his 2 choices, so before hearing from them he started calling the Clearing lines of Unis and the same day (Monday 8th July) he managed to get 3 offers from Queen Mary London, Uni of Sussex and Uni of Leicester. On August after A-levels results he also got an offer from Uni of Kent.

The advantage of IB is that you get your results early and Clearing has just opened, so you get a good chance of getting offers. Of course, that depends on your course also, and obviously each year may be different. Let me point out also that Scottish unis (Herriott-Watt and Strathclyde) did not even consider him, although their clearing grade requirements were close to his grades, as we are EU and probably because of their quotas.

I hope I have given you some hope to carry on. You still got a lot of time before your exams to study and practice with past papers. Please try hard to do your best and I am sure you will find a good Uni to settle in. You already got decent offers by the way. And nothing is over yet! Keep strong!

I will keep my fingers crossed for you! Let me know if I can be of any help! 🍀🍀🍀🤞🤞🤞
Ahh you are so nice! Thank you so much, it's so good to hear all this.
springpastell
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pharyngotympanic)
What exactly are you planning to do when you graduate? If you end up doing a job where having a degree is just a tick box exercise (or not even needed at all) then it doesn't matter where you studied.
It matters to me a lot as where I live subjects that I am interested in are not considered very good uni options and everyone is worried about their career after philosophy or politics. So I thought that going to a more 'prestigious' university would somehow make it up for me and allow me to do what I like but still be able to get a decent job.
springpastell
Rep:
?
It matters to me a lot as where I live subjects that I am interested in are not considered very good uni options and everyone is worried about their career after philosophy or politics. So I thought that going to a more 'prestigious' university would somehow make it up for me and allow me to do what I like but still be able to get a decent job.
And I basically have some crazy ambitions lately haha
Pharyngotympanic
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Ok but things don't work like that. You could go to a dump of a university and still have a better chance at getting a 'decent job' (whatever that means), or go to a prestigious one and still end up working at Tesco checkout after you graduate. In most sectors, name can mean absolutely nothing if your CV or experience does nothing to help you stand out from all the others graduates churned out with the same degree from the same university. By all means study what you want, where you want. Just be aware that there is a lot more to getting a 'decent job' than the prestige of the university you graduated from.
Pharyngotympanic
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
And I basically have some crazy ambitions lately haha
What are these ambitions?
springpastell
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pharyngotympanic)
What are these ambitions?
Basically doing my best - I am definitely capable of getting around 40 points on my exams and that is why am not completely satisfied with universities that just require 30/32 points just like Lancaster, Birmingham and UEA. I feel like all my work would be somehow wasted as I wouldn't have had to study so much to get to these unis.
swanseajack1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I wouldnt read too much into grade requirements. Places like Lancaster and Birmingham are excellent in themselves and you have the option to reject them and look elsewhere. The capping system in Scotland because of no fees is really your problem. There are universities in England every bit as good as Edinburgh.
Pharyngotympanic
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Basically doing my best - I am definitely capable of getting around 40 points on my exams and that is why am not completely satisfied with universities that just require 30/32 points just like Lancaster, Birmingham and UEA. I feel like all my work would be somehow wasted as I wouldn't have had to study so much to get to these unis.
Why don't you study for the sake of doing well? What if Lancaster, Birmingham, or UEA are actually better for the course in terms of your prospects afterwards?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (105)
61.4%
No (35)
20.47%
Not sure (31)
18.13%

Watched Threads