The Student Room Group

What happens if I don't submit an assignment at all? In a bit of a mess

Believe me, I know how bad it sounds. Basically I have been very overwhelmed in the past weeks with 3 assignments due withing the space of 3 weeks, a huge revision load and juggling my academic work with working 20 hours per week which I need to get by.

I was doing the best I could and have submitted the other two assignments, but one of them I was struggling with and have only done half of the 3000 words required. It was due in 8 days ago and I didn't apply for an extension. Idk, I just had to be selective in what I was working on and put this one on the backburner and basically forgot about it.

My university has a policy that anything submitted over 5 days late will be docked all marks. Now I'm stuck... I can sit and finally complete this now and I think I can do it quite well, but if I'm not going to receive any marks now anyway, doesn't that mean I would just have to do a resit at the end of the year. If so, then isn't it a waste of time to complete it now? If I fail to hand it in then it will count as a fail just the same and I will take the resit at the end of the year, so I'm wondering if it makes sense to just scrap this one, put it behind me and move on the my revision and other assignments.

Does anybody have any further knowledge on issues like this and what should I do with this mess?

Thanks
Reply 1
tbh you should go and speak to your tutor and whoever is teaching you for that module.
I'd talk to whoever is supervising this assignment. You should have applied for an extension, but you didn't. They will be best placed to tell you what is up and whether it is worth handing anything in. You might find that you have to submit something, but it wouldn't matter what that is.
Reply 3
Original post by vicvic38
I'd talk to whoever is supervising this assignment. You should have applied for an extension, but you didn't. They will be best placed to tell you what is up and whether it is worth handing anything in. You might find that you have to submit something, but it wouldn't matter what that is.

I really fear doing that. I am very reclusive and fear their judgement. I haven't spoken to a single tutor at university and don't really know how to, what to say etc.
Original post by Anonymous
I really fear doing that. I am very reclusive and fear their judgement. I haven't spoken to a single tutor at university and don't really know how to, what to say etc.

You can just do it as an email if you have to. In life, you are going to have to face a lot of people, and it is best to learn to put your pride aside and talk to people. You just say: I was unable to complete the assignment in time, and now will have to redo at the end of the year. Is it worth me submitting the work now, or can I leave it? That's it.

You just talk to them like you would any other person. There's nothing they can do to hurt you, so just get over it.
Believe me, I know how bad it sounds. Basically I have been very overwhelmed in the past weeks with 3 assignments due withing the space of 3 weeks, a huge revision load and juggling my academic work with working 20 hours per week which I need to get by.

I was doing the best I could and have submitted the other two assignments, but one of them I was struggling with and have only done half of the 3000 words required. It was due in 8 days ago and I didn't apply for an extension. Idk, I just had to be selective in what I was working on and put this one on the backburner and basically forgot about it.

My university has a policy that anything submitted over 5 days late will be docked all marks. Now I'm stuck... I can sit and finally complete this now and I think I can do it quite well, but if I'm not going to receive any marks now anyway, doesn't that mean I would just have to do a resit at the end of the year. If so, then isn't it a waste of time to complete it now? If I fail to hand it in then it will count as a fail just the same and I will take the resit at the end of the year, so I'm wondering if it makes sense to just scrap this one, put it behind me and move on the my revision and other assignments.

Does anybody have any further knowledge on issues like this and what should I do with this mess?

Thanks

You should still do it regardless, talk to the appropriate staff member in charge with this module/ assignment. Say they do understand and give you the chance to submit it on the same day you inform them about it.The last thing you want to do at that point is to rush it. You should get it done now in hopes that they'll give u a choice to submit regardless of it being a late submission. If its been affecting you mentally then you really should tell them about it.
No excuses. You knew what you were getting yourself into when you applied for university. You complete the assignments. Eliminate your job and find elsewhere with less hours so you can cater to your degree.
Your a ****
Reply 8
No excuses. You knew what you were getting yourself into when you applied for university. You complete the assignments. Eliminate your job and find elsewhere with less hours so you can cater to your degree.

I appreciate u giving the advice, but u can't just eliminate your job, specially during the pandemic, when if the pandemic isn't here still it's not as easy as 123,u can say manage your time well but sometimes u have to hand walked in the person's shoes to really understand, I understand bcuz I have 2 Jobs 5 children, I need all the money I can get, and I'm struggling with 2 of my assignments, I'm going to try and submit it if I can't I'm going to ask for extension, the person already held there hands up saying that they didn't apply for extension, so don't shoot then down

Thanks

hey put in special circumstances to defer this and next one to allow breathing space. i had too cos mh take care
Original post by ChrisMishka
hey put in special circumstances to defer this and next one to allow breathing space. i had too cos mh take care

This post was made a year ago, so I presume the OP had got everything sorted now. :smile: