Watch
Adam_pir
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,
I am very confused, between Plan A and Plan B

I am looking forward to studying a new master’s degree and a PhD...

The areas of interest are:

Politics and International Studies

Government

Plan A, which is:
To study an Master's degree in Government at Harvard Extension School (approximately two years)
Then to study a PhD in politics and international studies at Cambridge University (approximately 3 years)

or
Plan B:
Studying a Master of Philosophy in Politics and International Studies at the University of Cambridge (approximately 9 months)
Then Studying a PhD in government at the University of Essex.(approximately 4 years)

Which plan is better in your opinion
Thanks in advance ..
Last edited by Adam_pir; 1 month ago
BillMurray
Badges: 10
Report 1 month ago
I'm not sure by how much, but it matters a lot more within the social sciences where you study, as opposed to what you have studied. A first class BSc degree in Computer Science looks good from any university in most cases, a first class politics degree from Staffordshire University (yes, that's me) is not worth the paper it is printed on (no offense to Staffordshire Univeristy, it's a good university!).

Based on that, plan A would be better because you get to say you went to Harvard as well as Cambridge!
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Adam_pir)
Hi,
I am very confused, between Plan A and Plan B

I am looking forward to studying a new master’s degree and a PhD...

The areas of interest are:

Politics and International Studies

Government

Plan A, which is:
To study an Master's degree in Government at Harvard Extension School (approximately two years)
Then to study a PhD in politics and international studies at Cambridge University (approximately 3 years)

or
Plan B:
Studying a Master of Philosophy in Politics and International Studies at the University of Cambridge (approximately 9 months)
Then Studying a PhD in government at the University of Essex.(approximately 4 years)

Which plan is better in your opinion
Thanks in advance ..
You need to hold offers before you can make a plan.

Apply for about 5 MPhils, complete the MPhil, and then from what you've learnt about your potential to progress, your interests and best fit, apply to 3-5 PhDs with a gap year to a) get stronger references from the MPhil, b) save and c) do something career related.
Adam_pir
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thanks ,♥️
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (214)
52.45%
No, they should still go ahead (57)
13.97%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (137)
33.58%

Watched Threads