The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

~KCL commuters (commute, commuting) thread 2020 ~

Applicants planning to commute to uni, King's College London starting 2020... worried about commuting? too comfortable at home? or just dont want to move out?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Applicants planning to commute to uni, King's College London starting 2020... worried about commuting? too comfortable at home? or just dont want to move out?

Hiya, I’m thinking of commuting as it’s too expensive for me to stay in accommodation (:
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by leiamegan
Hiya, I’m thinking of commuting as it’s too expensive for me to stay in accommodation (:

hey :smile: i agree, i was so worried that i wouldn’t have a good social life or be involved in uni but it’s not true. there’s so many other places to make friends (: what subject did you apply for?
Original post by ejtaylor2001
hey :smile: i agree, i was so worried that i wouldn’t have a good social life or be involved in uni but it’s not true. there’s so many other places to make friends (: what subject did you apply for?

That was my worry too! I applied for Children’s nursing, what did you apply for?
Hey, I’ll be commuting too. Pretty sure a lot of students in London Unis commute because the prices for accommodation are way too expensive. The uni I’m currently at has a lot of commuters and it doesn’t seem that bad :smile:
Also, just a thought, depends on how long the commute is. I think mine is going to be like an hour and a half so y’know, happy days 😂
Original post by Psychsie
Also, just a thought, depends on how long the commute is. I think mine is going to be like an hour and a half so y’know, happy days 😂

mines about an hour but i’d rather commute than live away (which costs way more) and then still have to commute 40ish mins to campus x
Original post by leiamegan
mines about an hour but i’d rather commute than live away (which costs way more) and then still have to commute 40ish mins to campus x

That’s very true. Keep thinking living in halls at KCL is like here where it’s like a 5 min walk. I’ll be at the Denmark Hill Campus so it’s little bit more out the way as well.

But anyway, my friend commuted 2 hours to KCL last year so it’s doable and if yours is an hour then that should be totally fine!
i’m applying for international management but i live less than mins from campus so seems pointless...
Heyy I’ll be commuting too this year
Journeys looking at just over an hour!
I'm planning to commute! It'll take me about 1.5 hours (but I like trains and stuff so I don't mind), applying for Psych!
Hey there! I am commuting!
Anyone wanna make a group for all those commuting so we can get to know each other ?
If someone makes a gc pm me so I can join :smile:
Original post by ejtaylor2001
If someone makes a gc pm me so I can join :smile:

Idm if there’s enough people ?
Reply 15
Hey guys! I commuted 1hr 30/45 mins each way for all 3 years of my degree at kcl so feel free to ask any questions!
Original post by Jehaan
Hey guys! I commuted 1hr 30/45 mins each way for all 3 years of my degree at kcl so feel free to ask any questions!

How was the commute during exam season, and how was it getting to 9am's? Would you advise graduates to commute and were there any disadvantages to your ability to study due to the commute?
thanks
Reply 17
Original post by Anonymous
How was the commute during exam season, and how was it getting to 9am's? Would you advise graduates to commute and were there any disadvantages to your ability to study due to the commute?
thanks

The commute is the same in exam season, the only thing is that at kings your exams are at Kensington Olympia which may increase or decrease your commute, for me it’s about 5 minutes quicker.
My course’s first year was full of 9ams, I was in everyday and I would say I had 9ams 85% of the time at least, the real problem was having a 9am and sometimes not having another class till 2 which meant quite a wait for me who couldn’t go home. I remember one time I had a 9am lecture and had to wait for something at 6pm. Due to rush hour and stupid train times, I would have to get up at 5:45 for a 9am which is ridiculous but I often slept on the train and became addicted to coffee. I know the majority of my fellow commuters actually didn’t bother going to 9ams and whole year attendance was probably 40% for 9ams and perhaps lower sometimes.
Advantages: costs - it’s so much cheaper to live at home
Disadvantages: it’s not impossible to make friends but you have to make a much more sustained effort ie schedule meet ups as others in halls have the luxury of just bonding over cooking dinner. It does take more effort, but I think it’s worth the saving. I know what a lot of people do is move into halls to make friends in first year then move home for the other years however I think this isn’t worth it as you will get used to freedom of living out. I am fairly popular as I get involved with practically everything so it’s more about making a constant effort with friends. Commuters often make friends with other commuters also which is nice if you have an overlapping route. I also want to point out you get less student loan if you live at home.
Ability to study: I don’t work at home at all. I just go to the library. In later years, I had whole days off where I would go into uni frequently just to spend the whole day in the library - I’m not talking procrastinating I’m talking proper working for 12 hours. I should be graduating with a first so hopefully that shows commuting doesn’t mean you can’t get a good mark
I will be commuting from luton.
Original post by MasterRalph
I will be commuting from luton.

thats maddd, how long is the commute and train?

Quick Reply

Latest