Considering an IUD

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm 16 turning ,17 in april. I've been sexually active for less than a month. I'm kind of ashamed to say I've not been that safe about it. Not even condoms. So I thought about getting an IUD fitted but am worried.

How do I approach it with my parents?
Will it cause me loads of nasty side effects?
Is there a better method?
What do I do if my mum doesn't want me to go on birth control? Is it likely she'll just tell me to just not have sex and hey problem solved...

I know a lot of these Q's you can't answer, but any advice, either about how to have That Conversation about birth control or the IUD itself, would be incredibly appreciated.
xmelanieee
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm 16 turning ,17 in april. I've been sexually active for less than a month. I'm kind of ashamed to say I've not been that safe about it. Not even condoms. So I thought about getting an IUD fitted but am worried.

How do I approach it with my parents?
Will it cause me loads of nasty side effects?
Is there a better method?
What do I do if my mum doesn't want me to go on birth control? Is it likely she'll just tell me to just not have sex and hey problem solved...

I know a lot of these Q's you can't answer, but any advice, either about how to have That Conversation about birth control or the IUD itself, would be incredibly appreciated.
Hey, have you tried talking to anyone professional about it? If you're too scared to talk to parents now, as your 16, you can book a GP appointment without parent's permission to get all the information and advice you need. After that, you can think of how to approach them as you'll know more and it may not be as bad as you think! I hope this helps. Good luck
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by xmelanieee)
Hey, have you tried talking to anyone professional about it? If you're too scared to talk to parents now, as your 16, you can book a GP appointment without parent's permission to get all the information and advice you need. After that, you can think of how to approach them as you'll know more and it may not be as bad as you think! I hope this helps. Good luck
I get quite anxious during anything medical so I wouldn't really feel comfortable going alone. I'd rather go with a parent preferably my mum as I don't think my dad would be comfortable at ALL. However it's an option I didn't consider so I might go alone. Thank you for your answer and well wishes
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
You should talk to your doctor you can do it without any permissions. I'd get a none hormonal one as there are no side effects apart from pain when you first get it in but it just feels like period pains. I'd very much recommend it.
LittleABC
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Remember, contraception protects only from pregnancy, not infection. Condom use is still advised.
If your mum doesn't want you to have contraception, unfortunately its tough. This is your body, your life and your decision and by considering this you're making a responsible contribution to your sex life.
Visit your local sexual health clinic, they will talk you through both types of coil and the fitting, as well as other longer acting methods if you're not totally sure about the IUD - pills, implants, injections, theres lots of choice.
Some people prefer the non-hormonal coil, some dont, it's down to each individual. For example, the IUD (copper, no hormones) doesn't have hormones but it may make your periods heavier, longer and more painful. The IUS (hormonal) may lighten and eventually stop periods. Everyone is different and its personal preference so please have caution when listening to other peoples recommendations.
anno9898
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
As someone who decided to have an IUD (non-hormonal copper coil), I don't think it is too scary. I hurst like your period hurt when the doctor puts it in, but otherwise it is really comfortable (apart from the occasional string period pain). I went alone to the appointment, and they were absolutely amazing, but probably it is better if you go with someone just in case you get stronger abdominal pains (it is really not bad - for me it wasn't worse than one of my periods, but it varies form person to person).
About your parents - I think it is an amazing thing that you are trying to be responsible about it, and soon you will be 18 - that might be a good staring point, but obviously it depend s on your parents.
Good luck and I hope it works out well!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (341)
34.8%
No (639)
65.2%

Watched Threads