The Student Room Group

My GF is jealous of my 10 year old sister

I'm currently living on campus with my GF at university, we've been dating for one year now and I feel like she's jealous that I spend a lot of time with my sister. She hates when I talk about her and always tries to change the subject. I recently bought a Playstation for her birthday and she started arguing with me saying that I never buy her anything that expensive which really annoyed me as I bought her a bag for £150 on her bday. She always makes remarks about why i have so many pictures of her on on my phone. I don't know what to do as she is starting to drive me crazy.

Scroll to see replies

That's pretty weird. It's not fair for her to want you all to yourself. If anything, she should be happy you are so close to your sister.

Talk to her about it. Hopefully you can get something by confronting her.
Reply 2
There are a few things wrong here and I'm not entirely sure if the order of severity.

I think worst is your gf's demands on you, though you are encouraging that behaviour by spending £150 on her birthday gift after just 1 year. It is weird that you have lots of pictures of your sister on your phone (assuming they aren't of both you and her), and that you're buying her a PlayStation.
Original post by ThomH97
There are a few things wrong here and I'm not entirely sure if the order of severity.

I think worst is your gf's demands on you, though you are encouraging that behaviour by spending £150 on her birthday gift after just 1 year. It is weird that you have lots of pictures of your sister on your phone (assuming they aren't of both you and her), and that you're buying her a PlayStation.

the sister part really isn't, if I had the money I would love to buy my younger siblings things
that's just weird I mean if your sister was closer to your age maybe but even then, your sisters a kid its normal to show affection to younger siblings, my sisters ten too.. I think that's just really sketchy, and if she's got a problem being around your own sibling I think that calls for a conversation or just dump her.. If you were buying an ex a present, or a girl-friend a present that was expensive and had photos of them fair enough but that's a different matter..
I think the correct answer to any question she asks is: "She's my sister." No further explanation should be required.

Your girlfriend clearly has insecurity issues if she thinks even your own sister is a threat. It's her responsibility to work through these issues.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
the sister part really isn't, if I had the money I would love to buy my younger siblings things

I get that, but as a student? I'm assuming this is a newer PlayStation rather than the first iteration from 50 years ago.
There’s nothing weird about any of what you do for your sister. That’s your sister and she was there before your girlfriend and she will be there a long time after she’s gone. This is a childish power struggle and a nonsense sense of hierarchy of your affections. Be wary of anyone who takes issue with your familial relationships that’s my advice to you. It’s not a good sign. It’s a ten year old child for goodness sake.
Dump her. She’s trouble and never going to change, such girls just grow into insecure women that will drive a wedge between you and your siblings. It’s a personality type unfortunately.
Original post by ThomH97
I get that, but as a student? I'm assuming this is a newer PlayStation rather than the first iteration from 50 years ago.

You ha e no idea how much money the op has. What he spends it on is his business
Original post by Sammylou40
You ha e no idea how much money the op has. What he spends it on is his business

Tbh, if you're buying a new PlayStation for your sister as a student and your parents haven't, they probably won't be happy and it also goes a long way to explain why the girlfriend here is so expectant of expensive gifts.
I don’t think anyone has a reason to expect expensive gifts. His expenditure is his choice and he’s treating his sister. I don’t see the issue at all. My husband has treated his nephews and other family members. I’ve treated my mother to designer items. That i saved for but that is irrelevant. I wouldn’t dream of dictating on the matter or being dictated to as long as it didn’t affect our responsibilities and finances- which it wouldn’t because we use sound judgment. My husband does an awful lot of errands for his brother and mom. I have no idea why it would even cross my mind to question that. It’s his family. Believe me, no good will ever come of being the wedge between a partner and their family. You should aim to blend into their family not create divisions.
And it won’t end with the sister. If she could get rid of your sister tomorrow, it would be some other person who was the target of her displaced insecurity.
Original post by ThomH97
Tbh, if you're buying a new PlayStation for your sister as a student and your parents haven't, they probably won't be happy and it also goes a long way to explain why the girlfriend here is so expectant of expensive gifts.

Why would the parents be bothered? You don’t know anything about their finances either
Why would the parents be bothered? You don’t know anything about their finances either

I'm trying to assess the situation based on what the OP has said. I can't prove my assumptions but clearly the girlfriend has a sense of entitlement and the OP has a lot of cash to splash.
I don’t even think the cash and gifts issue is as central as its been made to be. In focusing on that you’re ignoring some quite unacceptable behaviour. She can’t tell him how to conduct family relationships or spend his money. End of.
Original post by ThomH97
I'm trying to assess the situation based on what the OP has said. I can't prove my assumptions but clearly the girlfriend has a sense of entitlement and the OP has a lot of cash to splash.

Russ has covered it. It’s not the issue. The issue is the petulant behaviour of the girlfriend
Russ has covered it. It’s not the issue. The issue is the petulant behaviour of the girlfriend

100%

And that is what I said was the main issue in the third post on this thread which you decided to jump on?
Original post by ThomH97
And that is what I said was the main issue in the third post on this thread which you decided to jump on?

No. From post 7 when you commented on the amount he chooses to spend on his little sister

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending